Upgraded hard drive, how to get XP for new drive

Discussion in 'Windows' started by Pantah, Feb 21, 2009.

1. Pantah

Pantah

I have an AAO that came pre installed with windows XP. No Install discs were in the box with the computer. How do I get the XP back on the new disk. This AAO was bought new at Office Depot in Mexico. Can I get replacement XP from ACER?

Pantah, Feb 21, 2009
  2. Pantah

jeremysdad

You seriously upgraded your HD without first planning out how to put Windows back on it? Wow...

jeremysdad, Feb 21, 2009
  3. Pantah

Pantah

I should have stated "with an upgraded hard drive" I am not an idiot. I haven't touched anything yet.

Pantah, Feb 22, 2009
  4. Pantah

jeremysdad

You would be amazed at some of the posts that come up on this forum...Now that we have that out of the way...

First, install the repair console: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=10988

This is a precautionary measure, but it has been necessary both times that I have done this swap in XP.

Download Acronis True Image trial from http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/do ... trueimage/

Use it to clone your old HDD onto your new one. You will have to buy an external USB HDD enclosure.

Install the new HDD into your computer, and boot from it. If it gives you a BSOD, then use the repair console to fix the boot sector and the MBR. For some reason, they don't like to clone quite right, at least not for me, anyway.

That should get you going.

jeremysdad, Feb 22, 2009
  5. Pantah

Pantah

Thanks mucho for the tips. I have the external SATA usb box. Now I have to buy a HD for it. This whole issue begs the question "how do those poor souls that don't have their internal drive backed up and have a total drive failure get their install media".

Pantah, Feb 23, 2009
Ask a Question