UK COPYRIGHT LAWS CHANGES

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by something back, Mar 28, 2014.

1. something back

something back

Last edited: Jun 19, 2015
    something back, Mar 28, 2014
  2. something back

something back

something back, Jun 19, 2015
  3. something back

Sefie

I had no idea it was allowed in the UK to rip CDs for perosnal use only, in my opinion that was ok, and is not like people will stop doing it even if it's made illegal again. I know a lot folks who do! But I guess it'd be nice gesture to make it illegal again, so all those singers and composers stop bothering. I don't see piracy coming to an end, but I guess those people just want to try everything they can.

Sefie, Jun 28, 2015
  4. something back

something back

The law makers need to take into consideration things like, new car technology.

Most cars now only accept usb, no cd player fitted

Technology has moved on since the introduction of mp3 the law needs to adapt.

something back, Jun 28, 2015
  5. something back

Connie858

if they make it illegal again 95% of the music I have on my iPod will technically be illegal. Think about it. All those CD's purchased as far back as, well when CD's first came into being, will not be allowed to be copied to your iTunes to allow you to listen to them on an iPod. When you copy those CD's to your hard drive you are ripping them.
    It always used to be legal to make a copy of the CD for your own personal use as well. I'm not sure what the status of that bit of law is now, but we still only keep copies in the car and originals at home and with a 14 year old car I really don't have to worry about it only taking a USB device anytime soon.

Connie858, Jun 29, 2015
  6. something back

Sefie

Then I'd advice everyone to start using Spotify ;) I use it and love it. I no longer use audio CDs at all. I stream all my music from Spotify, it's such a lovely service. It's also very cheap and complications free.

But I can see how this law would affect those who rip CDs to just be able to get the tracks into their devices. It'd be a bummer, but can they actually monitor that? I wonder if we are actually going to get fined if we are caught doing something like that, maybe some jail time? I wonder how far can this go.

Sefie, Jul 12, 2015
Ask a Question