To keep WLAN safe

Discussion in 'Networking' started by jamesgonzales, Jun 17, 2016.

1. jamesgonzales

jamesgonzales

What are the things we can do to keep our wireless LAN safe? Some people are accessing our WiFi from outside of our company. We are worried as this may lead to data loss from our systems. It only has a security key to access the signal. I think that is not a difficult task to get that security key for hackers. What are the different network security solutions that can help to prevent this? I hope your replies

jamesgonzales, Jun 17, 2016
  2. jamesgonzales

remnant

One way is to finetune the defenses against snooping by installing the Air Defense security platform. This is because some snooping equipment can pick signals from an access point at hundreds of feet away. Another method is to separate the guest access points which are not encrypted from corporate ones which are encrypted. Having long passwords with both upper and lower case letters and other characters is important and they should be changed after every 3 months.

remnant, Sep 25, 2016
  3. jamesgonzales

Corzhens

The only security of our home wifi is the password. We were advised to regularly change the password so neighbors cannot hack into it. However, our neighbors are decent people who wouldn't do that. But in some neighborhood, I know that a wifi network is easily hacked into so they can use the internet for free. If you will regularly change the password of your wifi, I don't think hackers can easily guess the password.

Corzhens, Sep 25, 2016
  4. jamesgonzales

djtech

The good news is that passwords should do the trick if you want to keep your nosy neighbor out. The bad news is there isn't a wlan protocol that can keep your system safe if someone wants to crack into it. However, there are other ways to detect intrusions. Basically, protect your router with a strong password. Then, protect your connection with a strong password. And finally, protect your laptop with a strong password. When all that is done, put a simply intrusion detection software on your system to keep an eye on not only your laptop but also the number of people connected to the router. If you have just 1 or 2 systems in the house, but its showing more, clearly someone else has gotten access. So just restart the router, change the password and move on.

djtech, Oct 5, 2016
Ask a Question