Thinking of getting an SSD

Discussion in 'Storage' started by JayR17, Jul 2, 2014.

1. JayR17

JayR17

Hi, I'm thinking of getting an SSD in the near future and I'm wondering what the best brand would be with good prices, reliability, and so on. I also want to know if it is really worth the money compared to hard drives and if they last long as well. I might just use it mainly for backups on an external enclosure and I want something that will last long and protect my data.

JayR17, Jul 2, 2014
  2. JayR17

Rohan99

Getting an SSD is definitely worth it. I want to mention that you should use the SSD for installing your operating system on while you use hard drives for storing your files and programs. The SSD uses flash technology and so should be more durable than the hard drives which use magnetic disks. The SSD has a much faster read/write rate and so you will the the difference when booting up your computer. There are a lot of good brands out there such as Corsair and western digital so you can browse their websites for more information.

Rohan99, Jul 3, 2014
  3. JayR17

alash

SSD's are the way forward but the only thing that puts me off of the SSD's is that they are small drives. Most of the SSD's are only 120GB or 240GB and for me its simply too small. The speed of the drives on the other hand are amazing. Bring the bigger drives quick :)

alash, Jul 20, 2014
  4. JayR17

taven

A SSD drive is the number one upgrade that will breath new life into a used laptop or add amazing speed to a new one you are considering. I first got a taste of what it was like to compute with a SSD when I purchased my Alienware MX18 and I can honestly say that I will never go back to using a slower drive for my OS. I have a 1 TB Sata III drive for media content and backing up my OS drive. I find that the newer 500 gig SSD's are more than enough to handle even the heavy load of apps and games I keep on my computer.

taven, Jul 20, 2014
  5. JayR17

alash

Agreed with taven. Like I said earlier the SSD drives are great when you need the speed but the space just isnt big enough for me. Shame really I would love to move over to SSD.

alash, Jul 21, 2014
  6. JayR17

Zalaria

I've always wanted to move to an SSD as well. I hear great things about them over hard drives (much faster load and transfer times, no moving parts, more durable, etc.) But yeah they are pricey. But for what an SSD offers, I would say it's well worth the money. I've been using a nearly 6 year old laptop with a standard spinning hard drive, and it makes me wonder how much of a change would an SSD bring.

Zalaria, Aug 7, 2015
  7. JayR17

IcyBC

IcyBC, Oct 5, 2015
  8. JayR17

Brian8gbSSDLinux

There are Hybrid Hard Drives... I'm using one right now... a 500Gb Laptop hard Drive.
    there are also Desktop Hybrid Drives up to 2 Tb... here is part of the advert for them...

SSD Performance. HDD capacity. Affordable Price.
    SSHDs are now available for your desktop computer. Get the speed and kick of an integrated solid state drive (SSD) with the massive capacity of a desktop hard drive – all at a surprisingly low price!

Look at www.Aria,co.uk for more details.. (under HDDs)

PS I do NOT work for Aria - I just buy stuff from them...

Brian8gbSSDLinux, Oct 10, 2015
Ask a Question