The new HP Spectre is the world's thinnest laptop

Discussion in 'HP / Compaq' started by fcuco, Apr 15, 2016.

1. fcuco

fcuco

The new laptop from HP is a very good looking machine for sure, at 10.4 mm it is the thinnest laptop currently available.

It is rocking a 13 inch display, 512GB SSD, gorilla glass covering the display for scratch resistance, a backlit keyboard and 8GB of RAM, and full HD IPS display.

The audio is by luxury brand Bang & Olufsen.

It has plenty of USB type C ports, so if you want to use and old USB device an adapter is needed.

The most curious feature are the weird piston like hinges, they look kind of cool.

It also has the new HP logo.

It certainly looks nice, I don't know if this should be considered more of a luxury item though.

fcuco, Apr 15, 2016
    IcyBC likes this.
  2. fcuco

Corzhens

It looks pretty good with the specs and I believe it is not as heavy as my old HP Elite. I have read about Gorilla glass and I think it is also a plus. But with the price, I am wondering if it is really around $1,000 only (as per my search in the Philippine market). Ordinary laptops cost less but this HP Spectre may be comparable to Macbook as one ad claimed. Maybe this is a good prospect for a replacement of our old desktop. We just have to scramble a bit for the budget.

Corzhens, Apr 15, 2016
  3. fcuco

Joe Moses

It sounds like a great piece.

Very excited for it!

Joe Moses, Apr 16, 2016
  4. fcuco

IcyBC

Sounds like a great laptop, but it is HP, will it has the overheating problem like all other HP? I had 2 HP and they both suffered this problem.

IcyBC, Apr 16, 2016
  5. fcuco

Joe Moses

Would not surprise me. I've had to buy a usb fan lol.

Joe Moses, Apr 16, 2016
    IcyBC likes this.
  6. fcuco

fcuco

The only HP laptop that I ever had melted before my eyes because of all the overheating problems, my girlfriend's HP also died on her not too long after that, both had something in common though: Windows Vista, as you may recall Vista was a resource hungry monstrosity that ran like crap even on modern hardware and that was never really ready for production use, so I am not sure whom to blame on that. I never had the chance to install another OS on them to see if this mitigated the problem.

fcuco, Apr 16, 2016
    IcyBC likes this.
  7. fcuco

IcyBC

One of my HP laptop has Vista and this one lasted me almost 7 years. The other one had Window 7 Home Edition on it and lasted me only two years :( I was a fan of HP and a long time user, but after these incidents, I am now weary of them!

@Joe Moses I in fact, also used cooling fan, especially with my newer HP laptop right after I bought it, thinking that I would avoid the overheating problem, but it didn't help at all. It went into overheating after two years.

IcyBC, Apr 18, 2016
  8. fcuco

oraclemay

It may look great, but how is the performance. I would be excited if I could afford to buy a laptop like that. If the performance is really great I would certainly consider getting one.

oraclemay, Apr 18, 2016
  9. fcuco

nytegeek

The SSD is nice, but the rest is just, well, meh. Luxury audio? Not a compelling feature as far as I'm concerned. Slick looks and a new logo? Not selling points as far as I'm concerned. I'll have to see the actual specs before forming an opinion.

nytegeek, Apr 21, 2016
  10. fcuco

fcuco

Then it was probably a very high end equipment at the moment you got it, because the problem with vista (and hence the lawsuit that followed) was that the minimum specs it claimed were not real, the thing was too bloated and not optimized to run on most of the hardware that was available at the time so most machines were simply too ill suited to run it properly, that's why vendors starting offering you the possibility to downgrade to Windows XP for free. Laptops in particular suffered because the strain that was put on the processor and all the extra cooling that was needed. I you had a powerful enough machine (for the time) you were probably fine. I actually bought a high end HP desktop at the time and it ran windows vista just fine, but windows 7 much better.

fcuco, Apr 21, 2016
    IcyBC likes this.
  11. fcuco

fcuco

Nah, this is a luxury item, more like something that you buy not for the specs but because it is very thin and looks good, it is more of a fashion accessory, yet the specs are not that bad:

8 GB of RAM, Intel Core I7 and the latest 802.11ac Wi-Fi. It also has plenty of USB type C ports unlike the MacBook, and it has a hybrid polymer battery.

You can't deny that it looks good, I don't care about those bronze accents though, I personally prefer silver.

fcuco, Apr 21, 2016
  12. fcuco

Sealpikachu

I think the laptop is a but overpriced but then I think that about macbooks as well. I like the fact that it is thin but I feel like it makes it way too brittle too. At least as a student it is hard enough carrying a laptop around in my backpack without having to worry about it breaking as well.

Sealpikachu, Apr 21, 2016
  13. fcuco

nytegeek

I would never buy or use a computer as a fashion accessory. It just seems silly to me.

nytegeek, Apr 22, 2016
  14. fcuco

fcuco

This is obviously a product developed to cater the same segment of the market that buys MacBooks, usually people that are not very computer savvy and prefer a good design and aesthetics and don't care about specs that much. I mean, this obviously was created to compete with the 12 inch MacBook and it offers a larger screen, more than a single USB port and better specs. I would buy this in place of a 12 inch MacBook any day, the 12 inch MacBook is a terrible deal, super overpriced for those laughable specs, you are better off buying a MacBook Pro or Air.

fcuco, Apr 22, 2016
Ask a Question