The compatibility of laptop keyboard

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by wishingdeals, Jun 24, 2014.

1. wishingdeals

wishingdeals

When you buy a new laptop,there is a keyboard seted already,then you may holds that
    it is the only keyboard suitable for your laptop.

Actually many laptop keyboards is compatible, they may have difference on function,color,language layout,but the design in shape is the same,so it is available to compatible with others.

For example,Acer Aspire 5551G laptop keyboard, the language layout choice includes FR,RU,US,UK,SP,GR,UI,IT.As for function,you could get a keyboard with F3 Blue tooth or a keyboard with F3 wireless. You have choice!

wishingdeals, Jun 24, 2014
  2. wishingdeals

Brian8gbSSDLinux

Absolutely correct Mr. Wishingdeals,

Using an USB keyboard plugged into one of your USB Ports (obviousy!) will work OK instead of the Laptops' built in keyboard.

This is great when for 'no apparent reason' the Laptop keyboard breaks (missing or sticky keys)

Many people also do this, when using a LARGE Monitor (also plugged into (the VGA port of) the Laptop).

PLEASE be aware USB keyboards do not properly work until the Operating System (Win XP, Win 7, Win 8) are running... that means... You cannot get into the BIOS facility using USB Keyboards... but unplug it and try the Laptops own Keys... [Esc] [F1] [F2] or maybe [ F4] or [F10] for eRecovery functions.

Brian8gbSSDLinux, Jun 24, 2014
  3. wishingdeals

Rohan99

Yes laptops can use USB keyboards instead of the built on one. This is just added backup in case the built on keyboard has issues and the user is not able to get a replacement. The USB keyboard as stated above in the previous post, will not work until the operating system is loaded into RAM and therefore will not recognize keystrokes to enter the Bios settings.

Rohan99, Jun 30, 2014
  4. wishingdeals

skynel_27

I had a problem on this. My baby poured some milk on my laptop and its keyboard malfunctioned that is why I had to buy an external keyboard. Since I thought it was more practical to buy generic keyboard, I bought one at the department store and tried it. At first it was OK but when I continued using it, there was always a pop up coming out telling me that what I connected was not properly installed until then I always had to remove from the port and reinsert the USB based keyboard so it would work. It's really a hassle. :(

skynel_27, Jul 21, 2014
  5. wishingdeals

Brian8gbSSDLinux

If Windows is telling you that the keyboard in not installed correctly, it probably means that you did not install the drivers for the keyboard.... MOST accessories, like keyboards, mice & etc, come with their own disk (mini CD) with the drivers on it...

You have a choice, but you WILL need to put that CD into your CD Drive...

THEN switch the computer on... when it says it can't fnd drivers... point it to your CD Drive... it should automatically look for and install the correct driver.
    OR
    Go into Control panel, Device Manager look for the keyboard (Probably it will be marked as unknown) right click it and select properties... select Re-install or Update drivers... if Windows doesn't find a driver,,, point it to the CD Drive and get it to try again...

It SHOULD work after that...

Brian8gbSSDLinux, Jul 22, 2014
  6. wishingdeals

Adamo

So, how come I can go in the BIOS with my external USB keyboard with the F2 key? It's even connected to a USB hub. I can change everything in the BIOS from the USB keyboard.

Adamo, Aug 10, 2014
  7. wishingdeals

KimmyMarkks

I like to hook my laptop up to a docking station and use an external screen, mouse and keyboard for when I am doing work or homework. I found the Logitech external keyboards are tend to last a long time and are good quality. You can easily buy them off Amazon or staples and they connect to your laptop or computer via a small USB. Just make sure to shut your mouse pad and keyboard off when you shut down the computer otherwise it drains the batteries in both. I find the keyboards on laptops to be annoying and hard to use. I prefer ad regular sized one.

KimmyMarkks, Nov 17, 2015
  8. wishingdeals

IcyBC

I always used the keyboard and the mouse that came with my computer when I bought it. I didn't know we can replaced the keyboard until later years. However, usually my computer would die first before its components stop working though.

IcyBC, Nov 17, 2015
  9. wishingdeals

acerme2

I used to turn to external keyboards when my laptop was new and I could not type as fast as I had to with the built-in keyboard. It was a hassle because that meant the screen would be farther away from me (I have a poor vision and I hate wearing glasses). I stopped using it as soon as I got acquainted with the laptop's keyboard. From time to time, I would attach and external numeric keyboard when I have to work with numbers extensively.

acerme2, Oct 2, 2016
  10. wishingdeals

Aree Wongwanlee

I actually prefer to use an external keyboard. That's because I am used to a bigger keyboard than the laptop keyboard. Just about any keyboard should work with a laptop. It's sort of like a universal standard.

Aree Wongwanlee, Oct 2, 2016
Ask a Question