Speed up your browser

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by TylerH, Jul 2, 2014.

1. TylerH

TylerH

If you are currently using Google Chrome or Firefox, then you can download an add-on called FastestFox to make web pages load up faster and load up videos quicker. I have been using it for a few days now and can definitely see a difference in the speed of Google Chrome on my Asus laptop. The add-on will load up advertisements, but that can easily be stopped by using any kind of advertisement blocker. If your computer is loading up pages slow or videos keep skipping then i definitely recommend trying this out.

TylerH, Jul 2, 2014
  2. TylerH

Rohan99

Well thanks for the information. I never knew such a addon existed for Firefox or chrome. I am going to give it a try and see if I notice any speed gain when browsing or streaming. How do these addons really work? Surely it must be by either optimizing your current connection or by storing webpage data so they load faster in the future.

Rohan99, Jul 2, 2014
  3. TylerH

LilAnn

Thank you!! I've had issues with every computer Ive ever owned, regardless of the type of Internet. I'm going to have to make a note

LilAnn, Jun 7, 2015
  4. TylerH

IcyBC

Oh this is good to know and I wish I still have my Window laptop. My HP just died a slow dead, and I am saving money to revive its life at the moment. It is only 2 years old and I don't want it to go to waste :)

IcyBC, Aug 21, 2015
  5. TylerH

SLTE

I'll look into that, thanks. I left FireFox a while ago because it bogged down my computer so much, and now Chrome seems to be doing the same, regardless of how much I wipe my hard drive or closed other programs. Whenever I check the active programs it looks like there are seven or so instances of Chrome open, which is just ridiculous. I know a lot of those instances are parts of Chrome, but, still.

SLTE, Sep 2, 2015
  6. TylerH

Dryy

Thanks for the tip, I will check it out then. But what do you mean, it will load up advertisements? Will it load up randomly out of nowhere, kind of like adware? That leaves me a bit concerned.

Dryy, Nov 17, 2015
  7. TylerH

CreoleQueen777

The add-on loading up advertisements, Worries me a bit. I wonder if it could open my laptop to other things I don't I don't want. I already use advertisement blockers to begin with. Safer that way. Thanks for the info though.

CreoleQueen777, Dec 5, 2015
  8. TylerH

Krissttina Isobe

:oops:Me too the advertisement load up worries me a bit too. I like fast, but if I have to do something to block advertisement I don't have it on my borrowed netbook from the library. Thanks though for the tip.

Krissttina Isobe, Dec 5, 2015
    CreoleQueen777 likes this.
  9. TylerH

Ishmael

I want to say that if you want a browser that doesn't slow down your PC you shouldn't be using Chrome. :p But thank you for the advice.

Ishmael, Dec 5, 2015
  10. TylerH

ts_guest

I hate Chrome and cannot figure out for the life of me, why it's popular. I installed it and two days later, uninstalled it... then it took me three days to manually wipe the browser from my registry.

Chrome eats up RAM like crazy. It will cause your laptop to freeze and crash. I normally like Google products, but this one is the worst.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2015
    ts_guest, Dec 6, 2015
    CreoleQueen777 likes this.
  11. TylerH

CreoleQueen777

Chrome is only popular because of the cool add on's you can install to your browser like screenshot, ad blockers, word online...etc. However I had no idea that chrome eats a lot of RAM like crazy, I've also had to deal with the constant web page crashes and frozen pages though. Maybe I should try Fire Fox.

CreoleQueen777, Dec 6, 2015
  12. TylerH

Lun

For people who have sufficient RAM though, it's great. I never use it because It's too simplistic for my taste. My browsing sessions are usually long and so I need a browser that feels familiar and allows me to access all the websites I want quickly. Firefox fulfills that job. I also like its addons.

Lun, Dec 6, 2015
  13. TylerH

KimmyMarkks

Yes thanks for this. I never knew something like this existed either. Are there any downfalls with it?
    I'm always hesitant when things seem too good to be true.

KimmyMarkks, Dec 8, 2015
  14. TylerH

GearZ

Thanks for the tip. I run Chrome almost exclusively and found the add-ons Ghostery and Adblock the most effective at blocking ads, beacons, and other junk like that. I tried Ublock too, but it was more intrusive and, frankly, didn't do all that much more than the two aforementioned add-ons. With all the garbage that lards up a site these days, it is pretty much a must to be running some kind of blocking tools.

GearZ, Dec 9, 2015
  15. TylerH

vinaya

I use firefox, but never heard about this firefox/chrome add on that helps to load pages faster. I will check FastestFox and see if this is of any use for me.

vinaya, Jan 26, 2016
  16. TylerH

djtech

This is great. Once a week, I decide to look for a faster alternative to chrome. Opera does seem fast, but it somehow consumed more data. UC browser is great, but does not support a lot of extensions that either work on FF or Chrome.

So, I guess, I'll try this and let you know my experience.

Update:I did not find it in the chrome web store. So, I decided to use "Web Boost" which promises the same things and has great reviews.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2016
    djtech, Jan 28, 2016
  17. TylerH

PingPongCall

Why does this seem like something we shouldn't be downloading? Is it adware or something?

PingPongCall, Jan 29, 2016
  18. TylerH

Kavon

I don't understand why most people are saying that Chrome is a fast browser. Don't get me wrong, I have Chrome installed, and I use it sometimes. It does have some good features. But it's slower than Firefox. Also, I notice that when I'm switching through tabs on Chrome, the pages are not loaded most of the time, and they only load after I switch to the tab. So I have to wait for the pages to load every time I switch to a new tab. I don't know if this is some feature that can be turned on and off.

Kavon, Aug 22, 2016
  19. TylerH

Corzhens

Thanks for posting about that add on, I will take note of that FastestFox. But I have to consult my husband first before installing it in our home desktop which is having an issue with the slow internet access now that we suspect is caused by the anti virus. But anyway, let us see if that add on will run properly in Windows XP.

Corzhens, Aug 22, 2016
  20. TylerH

cluckeyo

I'm not real keen on loading a bunch of ads. But I will make a note of this. I may try it out. There a lot of good programs out there to be discovered. I like AVG PC Tuneup. It can really speed up your computer. I disables programs when not in use, enabling them temporarily only while needed. It's a great program but not free.

cluckeyo, Aug 22, 2016
Ask a Question