Speed of laptops

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by everbeen, Aug 19, 2015.

1. everbeen

everbeen

Hello, all.
    I try to upgrade my old laptop, HP ENVY DV6 (3rd gen i5-3210m; 8g memory; 5400rpm hard drive; 1366X768 resolution; Integrated graphics) to a newer one, Thinkpad Yoga 14 (5th gen i5-5200U; 8g memory; 16G SSD+5400rpm HDD hybrid; 1920X1080 resolution; GT 940M graphics). Both in Windows 10. However, I am noticing that the new one is even slower than my old laptop. Is that normal? Should I return my new laptop? Thanks.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2015
    everbeen, Aug 19, 2015
  2. everbeen

something back

New computers contain a lot of trial software, and this can slow your computer down
    the term commonly used is bloatware or crapware.

In windows 10 you can go to the task manager right click on the TASK BAR choose
    TASK MANAGER.

You can then see what is loading especially in the STARTUP section

This program can also help:

http://www.pcdecrapifier.com/download

something back, Aug 19, 2015
  3. everbeen

everbeen

Thanks, something back. I did do a clean installation. Doesn't change much, though.

everbeen, Aug 20, 2015
  4. everbeen

something back

something back, Aug 20, 2015
  5. everbeen

everbeen

I was expecting a better performance with a "5th gen" CPU than a "3rd gen", not mentioned about additional SSD... Seems like I am wrong...

everbeen, Aug 21, 2015
  6. everbeen

something back

I do think many people will think the same, that later generation CPU's are going to be faster than previous models.

The manufacturers seem to go out of their way to confuse with so many model numbers.

something back, Aug 26, 2015
  7. everbeen

Dryy

The "U" in "i5-5200U" signifies that it is an ultra-low power processor. While it does not necessarily mean it is a slow processor, it does mean it uses less power to operate, meaning it does not utilize full power that other processors do. The i5-3210m is from an older generation, however, since it's not an ultra-low power processor, it is meant to be faster in practice. One good thing about the "U" processors though, is that your electrical bill will be a bit lower from the laptop usage, but that of course, depends on how often you actually use your laptop while it's plugged to the wall.

Dryy, Nov 17, 2015
  8. everbeen

Ishmael

As Dryy said up here. The CPU is not necessarily more powerful than what you had before. But I also think that you should check if you're using your PC with a power saving option.
    Other than that, like others said, usually laptops are filled with useless programs that make your PC slower. So you should definitely clean your PC when you can.

Ishmael, Nov 26, 2015
Ask a Question