Should I get an Macbook?

Discussion in 'Which Laptop should I buy?' started by steven todorow, Apr 28, 2016.

1. steven todorow

steven todorow

So I have a dell inspiron 16-inch touchscreen now and i have had my fair share of problems with it, but that's any laptop.
    mainly my issues are it just being slow, i have only had it for 2 years and i have had it professional cleaned and serviced for 3 times now and it works for about 1 week then goes slow again. And sometimes when I am just using it it will randomly shut off. the touchscreen has gone out and so has the touch pad. and had them replaced under warranty

So now I'm debating whether i should upgrade to a macbook air or should try a hp or another windows computer but i had a Toshiba before this and it was the same thing.

I use my computer to basically run office some movie editing and then all my college needs which is mostly running through servers of other sites. usually i am on my laptop for 5-8 hours a day and right now my laptop kind of runs slow on everything and ive gotten used to it.

but is apple really worth the upgrade, i dont mind spending the money if it is worth it. my main thing is i just want a reliable computer

steven todorow, Apr 28, 2016
  2. steven todorow

steven todorow

also there is almost nothing on this computer as far as storage goes there is gopro studio, maybe 10 photos no videos some word documents and thats virtual it other then chrome, firefox and office. so there is no need for this computer to be so slow after 2 years

3. steven todorow

Jonathan Jenkins

I do like Apple computers, and am going to change from an old Dell laptop to a Macbook this year. It's strange you've had such a problem with your Windows systems. Mine does also get slow, but I just reboot and it is fine for a while. I have noticed that web browsers often suffer from "memory leakage", and do also sometimes get slow on a Mac.

If you're interested in trying a Mac, I would suggest getting a refurbished one from the store. You should be able to get something pretty good, but not have to pay full price for it.

Jonathan Jenkins, Apr 28, 2016
  4. steven todorow

steven todorow

thanks for the input, ive looked at the refurbished ones and there from like 2011 and still roughly 750, so i mean i feel thats just asking for more problems, but yeah i mean i love windows when it works but just seems lately havent had much luck and like i said i do not use them to full capacity so there should not be these problems

Jonathan Jenkins likes this.
  5. steven todorow

IBMPC8088

Apple is a fad item. The problem is fragmentation of your drive more than anything. Replace the current drive with an SSD instead and you can save yourself an absolute fortune.

If you want to stay with the same drive but avoid most fragmentation issues, use linux instead and enjoy the benefits of a journaling file system over FAT32 and NTFS which are designed to slow your system down the more they store files in areas too far from the last location on the drive.

Taking it to have registry cleaned or other stuff done is a waste of money as you can see. It helps, but fixing the actual problem rather than treating the symptoms is more important.

If you want to pay too much and get a shiny mac for no reason then that's your choice, but the issues with the dell can be fixed by a simple drive replacement. Upgrading the ram if you can would also help a little when the programs are running and buffering from the drive.

IBMPC8088, Apr 29, 2016
  6. steven todorow

Norjak71

It all about what you wanna do with it but from what you said I would stick with a regular laptop, just my opinion. Mac's are great if you're going to be a lot of Photoshop work and you can easily do video editing on your standard brand laptop. Unless you really like the brand name or plan on expanding your usage I would personally stick with laptop.

Norjak71, May 1, 2016
  7. steven todorow

IcyBC

I think many people against Mac because of the high price, and its brand name. Just as I hate all the brand names clothing from Michael Kors, Channel, and others..

Make your own decision after you've carefully consider what you are going to do with your laptop. What you will use it for, and can you afford it or not. There is also something about "you get what you paid for" too.

IcyBC, May 2, 2016
  8. steven todorow

Jonathan Jenkins

Yes, I think you're right that many people seem to object to big brands on principle. I'm not sure you get much extra if you buy a more expensive Mac compared to a PC. I just like using Macbooks, in the same way I like having a nice watch or a nice car. If it's something you're working with for many hours a day, it makes sense to me to maybe pay extra for something that looks and feels good, in addition to technically doing the job well.

Jonathan Jenkins, May 2, 2016
  9. steven todorow

IcyBC

@Jonathan Jenkins Personally, I couldn't afford Apple products even if you shoot me, haha..It all happened to me quite surprisingly. My children bought me the iPad for Mother's Day, Christmas present, and birthday combined. My brother and sister bought me the MacBook when my HP died after 2 years, and I was given a cracked screen iPhone 5. Thus, the Apple products landed in my lap :)

IcyBC, May 4, 2016
  10. steven todorow

gmckeebiz

Yes, you definitely should. Macbooks are coming down a bit in price, and they are definitely worth what they are asking. I've never owned a computer that was absolutely fantastic as my MacBook. It's lasted for years and still works as good today as the day I bought it. It's just a great little machine. If you do decide to get one, definitely get a protective case for it. That's the biggest mistake I made. As I didn't have a case on it for quite a while, and the surface does tend to scratch pretty easily. But take care of it and you are likely to get quite a few years of usefulness out of it.

gmckeebiz, May 14, 2016
  11. steven todorow

Vash

I also do not understand why OP is experiencing such problem. Maybe a clean re installation of the OS will fix the problem? It usually fixes most of the weird, unexplained issues.

You might also want to check into the memory usage when things gets really slow. Even for my 8GB laptop, it can get slow when I have 50+ tabs open in Firefox for too long... memory leakage can cause laggy. A simple close the browser and reopen it usually fixes it.

In my previous laptop, I upgraded the RAM from 2GB to 4GB, and upgraded the 160GB HDD to a 120GB SSD. The upgrade made the laptop so much smoother. However after a few years, it got slower as the SSD was getting full. Another upgrade of SSD to 512GB fixed the problem, but the laptop died not too long after that (being 7-year-old wasn't so bad at all).

Before you jump onto the ship of OSX, you need to try it first. As a long time windows user, you might not get used to it. Also without touchscreen, you might feel weird. If you have the money to burn, might as well look into Microsoft Surface Pro 4. It is a full Windows system, but also a 2-in-1 device which you an use it as a laptop and a tablet.

Vash, May 19, 2016
  12. steven todorow

Sworden

Yeah, you're computer really shouldn't have that many problems, assuming it's being taken care of well. There might be something wrong deeper than just software level, have you had the HDD tested or replaced?

In terms of jumping to OSX, while it's not a bad option, it also seems a little extreme. You should first compare how much you spent on your laptop, and how much you're planning on spending on a macbook.

Sworden, May 19, 2016
  13. steven todorow

Matilda

I think that a MacBook is pretty good, but if you do gaming or something with cds or dvds I would recomend a PC

Matilda, May 25, 2016
  14. steven todorow

jokoyko

For me if you want a great gaming experience you should buy a pc not a macbook

jokoyko, May 26, 2016
  15. steven todorow

jokoyko

its because pc has more power to perform large game graphics unlike a mac

jokoyko, May 26, 2016
  16. steven todorow

rootle

I've never really understood the fascination with Macbooks. You should be able to get pretty good software for the work you do on a regular PC. I definitely prefer Windows to any Mac OS as well. I would definitely save my money and get another laptop rather than a Macbook.

rootle, Jun 28, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  17. steven todorow

Vash

Yeah, getting a "reliable" computer is not the reason to go for a Mac. Most computers are reliable. Unless you messed it up.
    Mac is more for a show off these days. Back in the old days there were more software on Mac for artists, nowadays even this is no longer true. Windows have everything you need. It all comes down to personal preference. Since you haven't used a Mac, I doubt preference is a true reason. :) Then again, it is your money. If you feel like want to get a Mac, go for it by all means. You can always sell it and get another Windows laptop or install Windows on the Mac if you do not like OSX.

Vash, Jun 28, 2016
  18. steven todorow

SirJoe

Macs are no better then regular laptops. They even use the same components. If it was some years back it was different when they still made their own CPU's but now days, it's become more of a fashion accessory then anything else, you will always get more for your buck if you buy the equivalent laptop.

SirJoe, Jun 28, 2016
  19. steven todorow

steven todorow

well I bought a macbook pro 13 inch and it by far beats my old laptop even when it begin, it is way way better at multi-tasking and just being quick and also for movie editing it is top notch and it is all free and comes with it. battery life is super i have gotten 15 hours out of mine my old laptop was maybe 6.

So IMO it is by far better yes double the cost but so far worth it, but thanks for the opinion

steven todorow, Jun 29, 2016
  20. steven todorow

Jaydon A.

I guess if that is your opinion and you are happy with a Mac than that is what is important. I am still a Windows fanboy though.XD

Jaydon A., Jun 30, 2016
Ask a Question