Shared Video Memory

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by xkiller, Dec 14, 2008.

1. xkiller

xkiller

Hi,

I've a question that is can we increase shared video memory by adding more RAM. Because in WinVista its only 249MB video memory.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
    xkiller

xkiller, Dec 14, 2008
  2. xkiller

rory

Could you not just search?
    The OS allocates VRAM dynamically as it needs it.
    Rory

rory, Dec 14, 2008
  3. xkiller

DiSK

Uh, if you don't understand how the VRAM is allocated, I don't think you should be attempting to open the AspireOne and replace a stick of RAM. This question has been asked quite a few times. Use the search box.

Also, you do realize this is a netbook, right? What do you want to do on this thing, that the integrated graphics don't allow you to?

DiSK, Dec 14, 2008
  4. xkiller

xkiller

Ok I got it.

xkiller, Dec 15, 2008
  5. xkiller

cinijast

ignore disK hes a forum bully

cinijast, Dec 28, 2008
  6. xkiller

melhiore

He is not. He is absolutely right about this. Netbook is not powerful multimedia/gaming machine. Look:

I believe he wants to run software/game which is expecting 512MB of VRAM... It's not for Netbook then...

melhiore, Dec 28, 2008
  7. xkiller

judeh101

I totally agree with disk. Netbook isn't for gaming and hd or for performance at all.

judeh101, Dec 28, 2008
  8. xkiller

xkiller

Oh! So i can't increase it. But Thanks for the reply.

Thanks

Cheers,
    xkiller

xkiller, Dec 29, 2008
  9. xkiller

sagebrush

YOU DO REALIZE...

THE ASPIRE ONE...

ONLY HAS AN 8 MEG VIDEO CARD IN IT..!!!!!!!!!!! THERE IS NO SHARED MEMORY... THAT IS FANTASY... YOU GET 8 MEGS.. FOR VIDEO..PERIOD

sagebrush, Feb 12, 2009
  10. xkiller

sagebrush

WHAT IM TRYING TO TELL YOU IS THAT VISTA OR XP MAY SAY THERE IS SHARED MEMORY, BUT THE CARDS FIRMWARE DOES NOT SUPPORT IT. THIS IS AN 8 MEG CARD..PERIOD...

sagebrush, Feb 12, 2009
  11. xkiller

jackluo923

"WHAT IM TRYING TO TELL YOU IS THAT VISTA OR XP MAY SAY THERE IS SHARED MEMORY, BUT THE CARDS FIRMWARE DOES NOT SUPPORT IT. THIS IS AN 8 MEG CARD..PERIOD..."

You're absolutely right, only if all you do is use 2D programs. E.G. using DOS command etc

jackluo923, Feb 12, 2009
  12. xkiller

lohtse

What flippin rubbish...... The GMA945/950 graphics cards our netbooks use ared SHARED ram based.... So if an application requires say 32megs graphics it is allocated 32megs or ram for this purpose. If requires 128megs it is then allocated 128megs.... If it is 8megs period as you put it(is it that time of month for you??) then please explain the huge list of games that we all are playing??? Check the specs for the games a huge amount require a minimum of 32megs and alot require 64megs and above.... OR ARE YOU SAYING WE ARE ALL LYING??????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Please look through the forums before you make a commet such as what you have as it is comments such as this that are incorrect and MISLEAD users.

regards A very angry at you
    Andrew

lohtse, Feb 12, 2009
  13. xkiller

gmgdnj

Search box doesn't help as there are pages of pages consisting mainly of people talking about watching and ripping videos. Why can't anyone just answer anyone's question when they have a legitimate straight forward question that includes the primary intent. The guy wants to put Vista on his netbook, he is either having issues or is concerned because of the BIOS vid ram description and the fact that it won't allow you to change it, at least on mine.

And the search box thing, as I said, this post finally showed up on page 5 of over 20 pages worth (of mostly crap not relevant) hits. I am trying to put XP on mine but get the B.O.D. during the initial setup everytime. I see from quite a few peeps signatures, they are dual/triple/quad booting with linux/xp/osx/vista/7 etc etc. The only thing I can figure is my vid ram is tankin my install.

So my question, just like his, can you change the vid ram shared memory or is it a dynamic adjustment the netbook does as needed?

Finally, I am sure that id forum admins and/or moderators thought it was necessary, they would delete the thread.

gmgdnj, Mar 15, 2009
  14. xkiller

melhiore

People do not answer because the same questions are asked over and over. SEARCH box is fine. Many threads explaining how shared memory works, many answers how to install ANY system on AA1. But instead of reading people are lazy enough to ask the same questions again and again... Another problem is accepting that AA1 is not fully featured multimedia and game machine but NETBOOK - that's another story though...

Shared memory is dynamically assigned to software requirements - that's it. Accept that and will be fine...

melhiore, Mar 15, 2009
  15. xkiller

gmgdnj

Don't get me wrong in my post/reaction. I know the search box is fine. I understand fully about this as I have been a moderator on quite a few forums and dealing with multiple threads of same issues can be troublesome. What always irritated me was the fact that instead of not responding to the multiples, peeps think its better to just flame and humiliate the newbs that don't know any better. As with this threads case, the first reply was all that was necessary, DiSK's reply was uncalled for, forum bully or not. For people that know what they are doing on computers, know how to search for answers, know how to use forums, life is easier. But for the MAJORITY of people out there that have problems and do not know what they are doing, they find forums that advertise 'come here for all the help you need' to just get slammed because they just don't know what they are doing, it makes you want to just throw away all of your pc's and grab a friggin chalk board and calculator, I know I was one of them a few years ago. Anyway.

Thanks for the info about the memory. After going back in this thread, I saw that the 1st reply answered it but I got lost in the flaming responses.

But I still have an issue that is probably answered somewhere else but haven't searched for it in a different way yet as I figured the BOD was a result of a vid mem issue. Basically after the install finishes loading the setup files and says 'starting windows', you know the part of setup just before u need to press F8, I get the BSOD. If someone can help out here on this, cool. I am still gonna search otherwise with different parameters.

FYI - I am not needing XP on this for gaming/multimedia or anything like that, I can use any of my other 7 pc/laptops for that. All my units are dual boot XP(or Vista) and Mandriva. Now that I have the AAO, I need this to be the same. I prefer Linux, my 4 kids and my wife prefer Wind(bl)ows.

L8s

gmgdnj, Mar 15, 2009
  16. xkiller

melhiore

Had similar problem one day. Removing battery helped. Next time system booted up w/o BSOD. Try this. What version of system you installing - XP with any Service Pack??

melhiore, Mar 15, 2009
  17. xkiller

gmgdnj

***First of all, sorry for the hijacked thread. Please advise if a new thread is needed***

XP with SP1.

I did some searching with the different parameters and found a few other peeps with similar issues, not just AAO users. For the majority of them, turned out the XP disk somehow became damaged. Probably a result of over use. My disk, for example, has minimal scratches but I like to mess around with my OS's to see if I can fix them. When I can't, I re-install from disk. Haven't had the original disk for about 5 years now, been working off my backup burn I created the day I bought it. I'm going to try a burn a new one to see if that works.

Oh yeah, did try the battery removal too, no dice. After my post earlier today, I decided to try my Vista disk and it worked. However, not all devices are working/recognized, mainly the wireless and the LAN. So now I am trying to fix that. If the new XP disk burn works, I will post back.

Thanks

G

gmgdnj, Mar 15, 2009
  18. xkiller

melhiore

Try to burn XP with SP3. Most of the devices works out of the box.

melhiore, Mar 15, 2009
  19. xkiller

ArthurHogemann

Wrong ... this video card works on demand, that's the reason why you can't set a bigger share of your memory in the BIOS. If you check in the video card configuration GUI you will find the max memory shared, which is 224MB, in other words, if you run a game who needs more video the video card will see that demand and share more memory. Look for the video card faq in intel site.

ArthurHogemann, Mar 16, 2009
  20. xkiller

jackluo923

BIOs can only allocate 8Meg of video memory, but the statement is only true under dos/ultra old OS/bios/bootloaders/ and very basic platforms without using the video card drivers.

jackluo923, Mar 17, 2009
Ask a Question