Request: Thorough Guide For Dual Booting XP and iatkos v5i

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by Whambo, Feb 14, 2009.

1. Whambo

Whambo

Hey guys,

I installed osx using Smb's guide and it seemed to be working fine.. but i can't get it to dual boot with windows XP.

I tried following some other guides but the osx installer wouldn't find the unpartition space if i just left it in xp.. and if i formatted it as fat32, when i go to install iatkos v5i i get an error saying the install disk is bad (even though i have already successfully installed earlier from the same usb stick) and would restart.. and upon restart xp wouldn't boot. Sometimes i'd also get some errors when trying to format with disk utility saying the "resource is busy."

Long story short, I'd like XP to be my main partition with roughly 89 gigs because it is what i would use mostly, but i would also like to have a 25 gig partition for osx to mess around with absynth and garage band to maybe work out song ideas on the fly so i can come home to my intel mac and work on it.

You guys are the best... that's why i asked here. who can help me out? : )

Whambo, Feb 14, 2009
  2. Whambo

robo

There is a thread in the OS X forum about this, but anyway, I was able to do this by first using Norton Ghost to create an image of my XP installation to an external USB hard disk, then letting the OS X installer repartition the whole disk, with a Master Boot Record partition Map (it's an option when partitioning using Apple Disk Utility), and multiple partitions - in my case, i went with three partitions, one HFS+ Journaled for the Mac, and two FAT32. One as a shared partition between Mac and Windows, and the other to take the Ghost image of XP (it gets turned back into NTFS at that point).

I then installed OS X as per SbM's guide, and after that, re-booted from the Norton Ghost disc and imaged the XP install back onto the new partition.

That was pretty much it. Upon boot, it get the Darwin boot manager asking me which partition I want to boot from, and depending on the choice, Mac or Windows start up.

robo, Feb 14, 2009
  3. Whambo

Whambo

Awesome, thank you very much taking the time robo. I'll try it tonight after I finish my HW and report back.

Whambo, Feb 14, 2009
  4. Whambo

Whambo

That did it, thanks a lot for the help. Time to enjoy some mobile songsmithing :D

Whambo, Feb 15, 2009
  5. Whambo

Racer38

I'm gonna give this a try with 3 partitions and set up OSx , XP and Kuki Linux .. I'll post my findings ..

Racer38, Mar 29, 2009
  6. Whambo

DopyG

can any of you post a link to a dual boot guide?
    I got Acer Aspire One 150 with 160 GB, Windows XP...

I really want to install MAC OS X without ruining my Windows XP, so I consider dual booting...
    The problem is I dont know how to setup af Dual Boot with Windows XP already installed and then installing MAC

Plz plz plz if you know a good guide post link here :p

DopyG, Apr 1, 2009
  7. Whambo

DopyG

DopyG, Apr 1, 2009
Ask a Question