Recovery cd linpus linux 1.0.9. please?

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by neillongsden, Jun 1, 2015.

1. neillongsden

neillongsden

My wife uses an Acer Aspire One A110 ZG5 (812mb) solely for internet and emai use.

I now need to use the restore cd to restore it to the factory state but it will not transfer over to usb. I have done this on 4 or 5 previous occasions so have a fair idea how to do it.

I can not find the restore programme on the web so am begging for help please.

Does anyone have the restore cd or usb I could copy or can you direct me to the weblink where I could download Linpus v1.0.9.?

Friends have suggester alternative Linux os but wonder if it will affect the 'hardware' on the Acer making our situation wsorse.

Any advice or assistance for 2 OAP's would be gratefully received. Neil

neillongsden, Jun 1, 2015
  2. neillongsden

Nestone50

I installed kubuntu15.04 on my Acer AOA-150 which is basically the same netbook. The software found all the drivers and everything works A-OK.
    Here is a link to download the software. Scroll down and choose load the software to a USB drive. Download that and go into your netbooks BIOS and be sure to select boot to usb as the first boot option. Install the OS. It should work fine for you. Here is the link: http://www.kubuntu.org/news/kubuntu-15.04

Nestone50, Jun 2, 2015
  3. neillongsden

neillongsden

Nestone, thank you. I am a techno thicky so bear with me. Once I have downloaded the programme onto a usb would I be able to 'testdrive' it from the usb without downloading it onto the acer - just to make sure all is OK? Thanks Neil

neillongsden, Jun 3, 2015
  4. neillongsden

Nestone50

Yes, that was true in my case. The OS operated right off the USB thumb drive with the option to download and install the OS on the netbook. At the time, I had a the Windows 7 OS on the netbook. Actually, I still do. The Linux OS on the thumb drive allowed me to partition the hard drive. I chose to "donate" 20 gigs of the 160 gig HD to the Linux OS. So, now I have a dual boot netbook. Upon booting up the netbook, the default OS is Windows. However, during the boot up process I can chose to load the Linux software instead.
    As I understand your OS was Linux and you did not have Windows, after the test drive from the USB drive, and, assuming you like what you see, you can dedicate the entire HD to the software that is on the USB drive. I can tell you that once on the hard drive, the software runs faster than it does from the USB drive.

Nestone50, Jun 3, 2015
  5. neillongsden

neillongsden

Thanks for that, one last question - the A110 only has 812mb of ram - is that sufficient for this os, please? Best wishes.....Neil

neillongsden, Jun 3, 2015
  6. neillongsden

Nestone50

I think so. Mine came with that same amount of RAM. However, I did increase the netbook to the max of 1.5 gigs. There is 512k soldered to the motherboard and a slot on the back of the same board that will accept a maximum 1 GIG stick. I'm guessing your just have a 512k stick in the slot on the back of the motherboard. The difference between what you have (1024k) and what you show (812k) is used by the video card. There are You Tube videos floating around on the net as to how to disassemble the netbook to get to the slot under the back cover if you want to increase your RAM to the max. Don't be temped to try a 2 GIG stick as the CPU won't recognize it and the netbook won't boot. Don't ask me how I know :). If your old Linux OS ran fine with what you have, I'm sure what I suggested will do as well.

Nestone50, Jun 3, 2015
Ask a Question