RAM Compartment Cover - Superhack!

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by fauxpas, Oct 9, 2009.

1. fauxpas

fauxpas

lol... Here's the hack... If you believe your RAM is getting hot, the fake venting on the compartment cover is not fake, just covered up...

I wonder why this vent was covered? Maybe they stuffed the airflow direction and needed it blocked? Funny, the makers of cases knew the vents were covered...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

fauxpas, Oct 9, 2009
  2. fauxpas

shadz

Maybe the freezing problem is related to this: the memos overheat.

shadz, Oct 9, 2009
  3. fauxpas

Dave

weird, why would they include an airvent and then cover it up. It would definitely be a likely cause of any overheating.

Anyone with serious freezing problems should try removing the sticky plastic and see if it makes a difference.

Dave, Oct 9, 2009
  4. fauxpas

cmeide

Keep close watch on temps if doing so. Letting the air escape here might reduce airflow in other vital places.
    Maybe thats why the engineers found it necessary to cover the openings.

Anyway, freezing occurs either the pc is warm or cold.

cmeide, Oct 9, 2009
  5. fauxpas

Dave

I have never had the freezing issue so didnt know that it was a temperature independent problem.

I removed the ram cover after my last post, and have had my 751 running for the last 2 hours batch processing in Photoshop CS (which is CPU intensive) and have had no change in temperature that I can feel. Having said that, my 751 has always run cool.

Dave, Oct 10, 2009
  6. fauxpas

cmeide

Dave, please post the information on the sticker of your RAM module.

cmeide, Oct 10, 2009
  7. fauxpas

Dave

Better than the info, here is my ram module

[​IMG]

Dave, Oct 10, 2009
  8. fauxpas

cmeide

Thanks ;)

cmeide, Oct 12, 2009
  9. fauxpas

DrNo

For those of you who actually proceed with this "hack": Do not forget to clean your RAM compartment every now and then !

It sure is a nice thing to get some extra cooling, but dust (which inevitably will find its way into your RAM compartment if you remove the plastic cover on the inside) will basically act as a sort of thermal insulation...

DrNo, Oct 12, 2009
  10. fauxpas

Guest Guest

thats the status has removing of the blinded cover solved the freezing problem for any of you, mine acer is still at acer for repair the got it 16 of september and they still have it. im getting pretty pissed of.

Guest, Oct 13, 2009
  11. fauxpas

cmeide

IMHO, NO, and I think I can answer for most as we have found out before that the freezing issue is not temperature related. I believe this post was just to show that it was possible to open the venting. I belive doing this will only risk voiding your warranty.

On the other hand, replacing the RAM module has given 95% improvement on my freezing problem and the webcam has been working 100%. I will get back to this when I have tested it more.

cmeide, Oct 13, 2009
  12. fauxpas

Guest Guest

what kind of ram are you do you use now

Guest, Oct 13, 2009
  13. fauxpas

jplatt09

I made the mod by taking plastic off the RAM cover.... it seems like air is blowing out of it, which would mean cleaning is not as necessary as if it sucked in air. can anyone else confirm that air is coming out?. I had very few freezes before the mod, and no freezes since the mod but it is too early to tell.

hope this helps

jplatt09, Oct 20, 2009
  14. fauxpas

Dave

I agree that without the shielding, air does blow out from there. I'm pretty sure the whole machine is running cooler with those vents open.

Dave, Oct 22, 2009
Ask a Question