overheating - fan replacement

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by BasementMitch, Jul 19, 2016.

1. BasementMitch

BasementMitch

How many times would you replace a fan or buy a new cooling stand if your laptop was constantly overheating?

My current laptop is not giving me too many problems in this area, but I know a guy who replaced a fan in his laptop once because it died. Then the next time it happened, he would buy a cooling stand with a fan in it and literally use the cooling stand until it died. And then another cooling stand. I think he has been through four at this point.

Does it not make more sense at some point to replace the laptop? Or at the very least, take it to someone who might be able to find the real problem instead of replacement parts/accessories over and over?

BasementMitch, Jul 19, 2016
  2. BasementMitch

Corzhens

I have been reading and hearing several cases of overheating laptops and the cooling fan is getting to be popular. My HP Elite has no issues with that but I sometimes wonder what I'm going to do if my laptop would overheat. By the way, I had once bought an HDD that overheats when used continuously. Just after 5 minutes, it becomes so hot that I couldn't hold it with bare hands. I'm thinking if that HDD would be the internal HDD of the laptop then the overheating of such will surely affect the laptop itself.

Corzhens, Jul 19, 2016
  3. BasementMitch

vinaya

If you replaced the fan already and after some time you are again in need for the replacement of fan, then I believe your laptop needs a replace. You use a cooling pad and this device is also not helping you to col down your laptop and your laptop continues to shut dowjn because of overheating, in that case you will have to replace your laptop.

vinaya, Jul 19, 2016
    BasementMitch likes this.
  4. BasementMitch

joshposh

I too changed the fan and the cooling pad several times and still, it overheated. What you need to do is take it apart and blow out all the dust and particulates. From there you need to remove the CPU and change the thermal paste that bonds the CPU to the motherboard. I have done this once already and it is a big pain. Best to just send it in for repairs and let the pros do it so they can issue you a warranty.

But changing the thermal paste is the reason why more laptops overheat. If the fans work, then obviously that's not the issue here.

joshposh, Jul 19, 2016
  5. BasementMitch

IcyBC

I don't know how to do any of things you buys are saying, and taking my laptop to the shop will cost me as much as buying a new one. It is all about the labor cost, not so much for the parts, but the time they spent fixing it. For a brand new laptop at $249.99 you can have a new one and not to worry for a while.

IcyBC, Jul 22, 2016
  6. BasementMitch

CarlosTL

From my experience, the fans, no matter how up-market they are, have a rather short life-span and I believe they are meant to be changed regularly i.e. you can't really expect one to last you 3+ years. This is definitely an issue with performance laptops and is particularly present in HP laptops. To me one of strongest points in favor of Apple is that they seem to not overheat as windows brands. Then there are Asus which seems to be handling the heating problem well unless you go gamer laptop.

CarlosTL, Jul 22, 2016
  7. BasementMitch

BasementMitch

Yeah, he probably wouldn't begin to know how to do that, but that is something I can work with. You've given me a jumping off point for Google and Youtube. I highly doubt his laptop is still under warranty. This could be a weekend project for me.

Thanks for the input!

BasementMitch, Jul 25, 2016
Ask a Question