Opening/loading .exe files Acer Aspire one

Discussion in 'Linux' started by jane renwick, Aug 10, 2010.

1. jane renwick

jane renwick

I am a COMPLETE novice where Linux is concerned & have had no luck finding a solution in the forums.

I bought a Acer Aspire One A110-Ab Netbook, Linpus Linux Lite version, 512MB DDR2 RAM, 8GB NAND Flash

Just for openers, I don 't understand how you "open", "load" . EXE files or make them happen.I have been using Windows all my life & to remember you just CLICK on a .exe file and it just 'happens'

Specifically, I am in Turkey and had to purchase a dongle from a Turkish phone company to access the Internet. When I insert the dongle, it shows te relevant .exe file but when I click on it, nothing happens. No-one here knows LINUX.

I just one to talk to someone who has the same ACER as me and who can guide me through with GREATED simplicity. I would be very grateful.

Aged simpleton in Turkey

jane renwick, Aug 10, 2010
  2. jane renwick

RockDoctor

.EXE files are Windows executables. What you need is a Linux driver for the dongle. Best case scenario: the driver is already available as a Linux kernel module and is autoloaded when you plug the dongle in to your A110. Worst case scenario: no driver is available for your dongle. Another option: Find an internet cafe/hotspot with wireless internet access.

RockDoctor, Aug 16, 2010
Ask a Question