NOTICE! Windows 10 free offer comes to an end, at the end of july 2016

Discussion in 'Windows' started by something back, Jun 29, 2016.

1. something back

something back

NOTICE! Time is drawing near when the Windows 10 free offer comes to an end

From 29th July 2016 the current Microsoft offer of a free Windows 10 upgrade
    will end.

The projected cost for obtaining Windows 10 AFTER THIS TIME starts at $109

something back, Jun 29, 2016
    Ian likes this.
  2. something back

Ian Administrator

Well worth the upgrade IMO - it's a huge improvement on Windows 8/8.1 in particular :).

Ian, Jun 29, 2016
  3. something back

something back

I am not sure that after the free period has elapsed your old windows 7 or 8 serial numbers will not be accepted

Given Microsoft is removing it's free offer shortly, for those who have upgraded
    should start now taking a note of the new serial number that now been applied
    by the upgrade to their computers,so in the future they can reinstall windows 10 if a crash should occur.

This tool Magical-Jelly-Bean-Keyfinder will help you find your altered serial number.

http://www.freewarefiles.com/Magical-Jelly-Bean-Keyfinder_program_4857.html

something back, Jun 29, 2016
  4. something back

nytegeek

Microsoft isn't changing the upgrade path when the free offer is up. Assuming that they would is just silly. The upgrade path is chosen for technical reasons, not marketing reasons.

nytegeek, Jul 1, 2016
  5. something back

SirJoe

Once you have done the upgrade with in the time period, the license from the windows version you upgraded from will be valid for windows10. If you have to format your computer after that period, all you have to do is use the license of you previous windows version.

SirJoe, Jul 1, 2016
  6. something back

IBMPC8088

Hallelujah! Er, I mean...oh...lol

I'm glad I don't have to pay to use FreeDOS, Linux, BSD, Haiku, OS/2 as EComStation successor, or anything else that's stable and doesn't compromise things to where I have to use it in a sandbox.

As stated, Microsoft is still going to try to force people off of 7 and 8 to go to their intrusion OS called 10 whether it's free or not, but I hope people remember they still have another 5 years they can use 7 for, and Linux will always be there for people now that it's matured and capable of doing anything you'd need it to (including emulating xp, 7, 8, or 10 if you needed it).

Microsoft doesn't have to control what you do as a consumer anymore and I think they feel the heat of that now. I just hope people understand they have choices and don't have to stay on Windows forever, especially not 10 at this day and age.

IBMPC8088, Jul 1, 2016
  7. something back

Oakat

I'm not sure I really believe that the free offer is going away. This kind of feels like an artificial deadline to convert as many stragglers as they can. Kind of like how in school you'd have assignments due on a certain date but you could hand them in late.

I only say that because Microsoft has been so adamant on pushing people to Windows NS-I mean, 10 that it's hard to think they're just going to stop. This is the company that wrote some of the most misleading Windows 7 update descriptions in the hope that people would be confused into upgrading.

Oakat, Jul 1, 2016
  8. something back

nytegeek

Sounds like some people need to get out their tin foil hats. Microsoft isn't changing upgrade. This isn't a bait and switch. If they extend the free upgrade period that would be a good thing not a bad thing.

nytegeek, Jul 4, 2016
  9. something back

something back

For those that are uncertain whether to take advantage of the free windows 10 upgrade., you could purchase a cheap hard drive, clone your old hard drive to the new drive then load windows 10 onto this new drive.

Keeping your old hard drive safe,you can always swap it back.

Removing your hard drive it's easy on laptops usually held in by two screws.
    On the underside of the laptop you should see a small panel it's normally under this panel.

New hard drives ARE SO CHEAP less than the starting price of $109 for upgrading to windows 10
    after the free period has finished.

AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard Edition 6.0 will help you clone your hard drive
    It's free from here:

http://www.freewarefiles.com/downloads_counter.php?programid=56992

You will also need a cable like this, A USB TO SATA CABLE

ALWAYS SHOP AROUND

An example of the cable required

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-to-SA...670431?hash=item3aa07d50df:g:JVsAAOSwu4BVt4y9

Last edited: Jul 8, 2016
    something back, Jul 8, 2016
  10. something back

nytegeek

It's not really relevant because you are going to need to upgrade at some point if you keep using Windows. Using older versions isn't really a viable option unless your hardware requires it. You are better off upgrading or installing a different OS, like BSD or Linux.

nytegeek, Jul 10, 2016
  11. something back

something back

bump

something back, Jul 15, 2016
  12. something back

Ian Administrator

I've stickied this thread until the end of the month :).

Ian, Jul 15, 2016
    something back likes this.
  13. something back

nytegeek

This could be done but it is a lot of work for something that already has a rollback feature. This is probably more useful for those that didn't have a legitimate copy/license to begin with.

nytegeek, Jul 16, 2016
  14. something back

Oakat

The NSA joke aside, I don't think what I said was tinfoil hatty. Microsoft had a goal of 1 billion Windows 10 devices by 2018. They've admitted that they won't reach it. An extension (or a later reintroduction) of the free upgrade program is one way to try to fix that.

The bait and switch I was referring to was in regards to getting people to upgrade.

Oakat, Jul 20, 2016
  15. something back

something back

bump

something back, Jul 24, 2016
  16. something back

something back

bump

something back, Jul 28, 2016
  17. something back

nytegeek

That may not be appropriate as a way to deal with things, but it isn't a bait and switch.

nytegeek, Jul 28, 2016
  18. something back

Norjak71

Wow I never even knew they were doing free upgrades. Honestly though, I am sticking with windows 7, after the whole vista fiasco I refuse to upgrade unless I have too.

Norjak71, Jul 28, 2016
  19. something back

something back

Upgrade to windows 10 for free then take a note of the new serial number that's been applied to windows 10
    save it,then simply rollback to windows 7. you have just saved yourself $109

something back, Jul 28, 2016
  20. something back

Joel7050

One thing people don't know, on why Windows is pushing so many people to upgrade, doing surprise upgrades and even giving the OS for free for so long, is to get most users on to Windows 10, and discontinue support for older OS versions, such that they can concentrate on Windows 10. However it didn't really work as most people didn't like change, and people complained about the surprise updates instead where the PCs seemed to have automatically updated themselves.

Joel7050, Aug 12, 2016
Ask a Question