Notebooks / Netbooks

Discussion in 'Other Laptop Models' started by useruser, Apr 14, 2014.

1. useruser

useruser

I personally despise Netbooks, they are generally low powered and fidgety to use. I used one for two years and I was so happy when I got a fully fledged laptop. Do you guys have any experience with using netbooks and do you like/dislike them and why ?

useruser, Apr 14, 2014
    Krissttina Isobe likes this.
  2. useruser

Brian8gbSSDLinux

See my Signature below...

I spent years lugging a 14" Company laptop around in a Backpack; I had equipment in 7 different Hospitals to service and all procedures and schedules were in that computer as were my results and records.
    I finally cloned the Companies stuff onto my own Netbook and started using that in 2009... (a Samsung NC10) the difference in weight was fantastic... I did not find the screen size to be a disadvantage at all.

I find it weird if I now have to sort out a problem on my wife or our two sons computers - all of which have 19" displays...

Tastes differ for everyone.

Brian8gbSSDLinux, Apr 15, 2014
    Ian likes this.
  3. useruser

mikelouis

Instead of getting a low powered netbook just add a few dollars and get yourself a Notebook. I have always never liked the netbooks for that reason that they are low powered and also low on memory.

mikelouis, Apr 15, 2014
  4. useruser

Ian Administrator

Similar situation here too - I switched to a Dell X1 at first, which was around 1.1kg, as opposed to the 3.5kg laptop I had used before... what a relief that was. I'd gladly trade a little screen size for an increase in portability, which is after all the reason I bought I laptop :D.

Yes, they can be a little underpowered in comparison, but as I tend to use only Browers/Excel/Outlook, it doesn't bother me :).

Ian, Apr 15, 2014
  5. useruser

Brian8gbSSDLinux

As I said... Tastes differ... BUT...

There are a LOT of people out there who DO NOT NEED a LAPTOP but choose to use one because of the small footprint compared to a DESKTOP...

For a short while there was a 50/50 Laptop type designated 'DESKLAP'
    They did NOT have a BATTERY because they were ALWAYS connected to the MAINS. Aimed at Companies, not individuals.

They had the added advantage for Offices in that they could be locked in the Office Drawer overnight... they could also be more easily moved from Office to Office when the user was transferred within the Company..

Just so you know...

Brian8gbSSDLinux, Apr 16, 2014
  6. useruser

IBMPC8088

There was a time when I went all out to get the RIGHT netbook and not just "a" netbook. Most of the ones I saw were from companies looking to cut corners, and were not putting the power into them that you need and that people deserved when buying one. There were only a few netbooks that I used, but they were (and still are) like gold to me on par in performance of one or two of my other laptops. Yes, you have to configure them and know how to to be able to get that kind of performance out of them, but choosing the right netbook and hardware vs the wrong netbook and hardware can be like comparing a top of the line system to a speak-n-spell. They're both computers technically, but the specs and hardware on them are going to make the difference between your expectations and what you get out of them.

The Asus 900 and 10xx series are more powerful than most other netbooks out there, followed by MSI Wind, and then the Samsung series release to rival in the market. The dell netbooks were junk, as were the HP ones. They were horrid and could not even do half of what my Asus netbook released at the same time does, and they couldn't support the hardware that mine still does even today with SSD drives. The dell and HP laptops are a completely different story from what they released as netbooks. So if you make the mistake of getting what the public tells you or what is released merely by the brand name, you're going to regret that when you start assuming that one-size-fits-all based on the manufacturer.

I was using mine for hosting music videos and DJing events with virtual DJ. Yes, even on that tiny screen I was able to do that and still put it out to 3 monitors at the same time without any crashes, issues, or ever missing a beat for hours. I don't feel that would have even been possible with the dell or hp models since the hardware was radically different and prohibitive when compared to the other ones that were out there. The only issue I ran into with it (over time) was that the graphics card in it began to overheat and I had to add thermal cooling gel near the integrated GPU to correct that. But that was after having it and using it for shows for 4 years, and owning it for 6 years! Between that, I played emulated video games on it, did programming with it, watched movies, and everything else under the sun that I use my laptops and desktops for today. The only thing it had an issue with beyond that was blu-ray burning (I had an external blu-ray burner). It was able to burn DVDs and CDs just fine, though. Eventually I got it to where it could burn blu-ray discs slowly, but I had to reconfigure some things and turn a few services off to do that since the system was never designed to handle that and had to be adjusted to do so. Again, I would really be surprised (and impressed) if someone were able to get the HPmini, Sony, Acer, or Dell netbooks to do any of that or even burn a DVD correctly over usb 2.0 without errors.

What I loved about it was that I had a real, viable replacement for my desktop at all times that I could carry with two fingers and go anywhere with and not even need to carry it in a bag to do so. They literally do not make systems like that one anymore. At least, not for retail. You can still get or make embedded systems with usermode interactivity like that, but it's not as commonly available anymore since the market wants to keep pushing out tablets and other things they think people will buy more of.

IBMPC8088, Feb 11, 2016
  7. useruser

tommytrant20

I stay if you are the one who follow fashion, the choice of low-cost notebooks and is also convenient as you are the one who according to the long-term trend is to invest 1 highly configurable notebook to stabilize

tommytrant20, Feb 23, 2016
  8. useruser

Corzhens

In 2013, my sister ordered 3 netbooks for the use of her children. Since our office has a discount with the vendor, I bought my sister's netbooks using our office purchase order slip. No problem, an okay deal. The netbooks are still running now and being used. My husband is contemplating on buying a new laptop and he remembered those netbooks. However, he said that he needed a real laptop because the netbook is a compact laptop just like a people's car compared to a normal sedan. But my argument is the price, netbook is way much cheaper than a laptop.

Corzhens, Feb 23, 2016
  9. useruser

IcyBC

My daughter had a notebook to use for college, and she carried it around campus along with heavy textbooks but when she is back to her dorm she uses her laptop. For me, I like to have a bigger screen and a place to rest my hands when I am typing :)

IcyBC, Feb 28, 2016
  10. useruser

Krissttina Isobe

I always borrow the netbook from our local public library and it's a little netbook that's really too small, but it's free to borrow. I do like the durability of the little netbook and it gives me courage to get a laptop when I can afford one. I like the ease of portability of a netbook, but it's so slow and heavy. I'd prefer a laptop or tablet right now, but I'm accustomed to a separate keyboard and mouse too. Don't really like a netbook when I compare it to a laptop that I see in stores. My mouse just doesn't want to work on the netbook too.

Krissttina Isobe, Feb 28, 2016
Ask a Question