New Battery Not Charging.

Discussion in 'Acer' started by BeardedBird, Mar 11, 2013.

1. BeardedBird

BeardedBird

Hi, We have an Acer Aspire 5534 laptop, of which the original battery would not hold it's charge very long. So, I ordered a new battery that was listed for it.

The new battery came and starts to charge, then stops. The orange light on the front of the laptop lights up solid at first, then starts blinking. The original battery would light up solid orange, then turn blue when the battery was charged. This one never turns blue. I have tried it with the computer on and off. When it is on and I hold the mouse over the battery on the lower right, it will say something like "29%, not charging."

This is the second, new battery, from different sources that have done this so it does not appear to be the battery, but a laptop issue.

Any suggestions?? And remember, I am not to computer savvy so keep it simple please.

Thanks.

BeardedBird, Mar 11, 2013
  2. BeardedBird

Nestone50

You didn't mention your OS but try this:
    Understanding battery charging issues
    If the notebook battery is not charging or the notebook does not indicate that the battery is charging, the most likely scenario is that the battery itself is operating correctly, but its power management software may have become corrupt. In order to correct the problem, you will need to uninstall and reinstall the power management software by using the Device Manager. This document will explain how to uninstall and reinstall the ACPI Battery listings in Windows Vista, as well as how to obtain and install updated BIOS files, if needed to correct other battery issues.
    Uninstalling and reinstalling power management software in Windows Vista
    In order to correct problems with the battery's power management software, follow the steps below.
    1. Click Start and type device in the search field, then select Device Manager .
    2. Expand the Batteries category.
    3. Under the Batteries category, right-click the Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery listing, and select Uninstall .
    WARNING: Do not remove the Microsoft AC Adapter driver or any other ACPI compliant driver.
    4. On the Device Manager taskbar, click Scan for hardware changes .
    Alternately, select Action > Scan for hardware changes .
    Windows will scan your computer for hardware that doesn't have drivers installed, and will install the drivers needed to manage your battery's power. The notebook should now indicate that the battery is charging.

Nestone50, Mar 12, 2013
  3. BeardedBird

BeardedBird

Thanks for your response. It is Windows 7. I tried the above actions on it but it still does the same thing, starts charging, then quits at 31%.

BeardedBird, Mar 12, 2013
  4. BeardedBird

Nestone50

Suggest you remove the battery and see if the laptop will boot with just the power adapter. If it won't, the power adapter is failing and that is what you need. Also, is the connection where the power adapter plugs into the laptop loose and/or get hot? If so, that is your problem.
    Finally, what you could do is tap F2 on booting and enter the bios and reset to default and see if it helps. Some bios for laptops also have a battery refresh setting. Look for it. You could check on the Acer support site for your model and see if they have any update to the bios that deals with the issue but if it does not then don't flash the bios. I 'm curious did you purchase the battery from Acer or some after market company as after market do not always perform as stated

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
    Nestone50, Mar 12, 2013
  5. BeardedBird

Adamo

That is really what happened, if you purchase the battery from a cheap Chinese site even if they tell it is compatible, it will not work, you must purchase from a reputable source.

Adamo, Mar 21, 2013
  6. BeardedBird

IBMPC8088

If you have access to another unit and model like your laptop, either through a friend or a local store, then you can find out quickly if it's your laptop, your charger, or the battery itself. First, try using someone else's charger. If your laptop powers on with it, then you know your charger had an issue. This doesn't yet rule out the battery or the charger and whether there's an issue there or not, so next plug your battery into your laptop with the charger from the other (working) laptop, and see if you can charge it. If yes, then the battery is ok and the charging circuit is ok, and you just need to replace your power adapter only. If the battery still doesn't charge, then next grab the battery out of theirs and try it on yours. If you're able to charge their battery on your laptop with their charger, then it's not the battery but the charger on your laptop that is having an issue. If this still does not show you what's going on, then try to charge your battery with their laptop. If it charges with their laptop but not yours, then you know it's not the battery or the charger, and is the charging circuit. If it doesn't charge on theirs, then you know it's the battery itself.

If your charger works on their system and their charger works on their system too, then there might be an issue with the AC jack not giving power to the board, but that's usually the last to be addressed.

Acer hardware is weird. I have an Acer that decided to stop working when I changed the battery and the ram out on it, but then after removing the power to the laptop and popping the CMOS battery for a few hours, I was able to get it back again and it was then ok with the new hardware and battery from there on out. I would try all of this first (and if you don't have an extra laptop of the same kind to test the other hardware with, try the CMOS battery and remove the laptop's lithium ion battery for a few hours or overnight, and make sure it's not plugged in so that the charge is gone from the board). After a few hours, you can put the battery back in for the CMOS clock that saves your BIOS settings and time/date, and then add your charger and try to power on. If it works, then add the battery, power on, and if it works, plug the charger back in while running on battery and charge it up. If this works for you, you should be good to go.

IBMPC8088, Feb 1, 2016
Ask a Question