Minecraft Sells 10,000 Copies a Day: Report

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Sefie, Apr 18, 2016.

1. Sefie

Sefie

Minecraft, the sandbox video game developed by Swedish programmer Markus Persson who then sold it to Microsoft back in September 2014, sells 10,000 copies a day according to a new report.

The game remains popular seven years after its initial release, especially with children as is well known, and the sales numbers were revealed in an article in The New York Time Magazine. Surprisingly though, it seems Minecraft is as popular with adults as well. The average Minecraft player is between the ages of 28 and 29, according to Microsoft, and women constitute 40 percent of the playing demographic.

http://gadgets.ndtv.com/games/news/minecraft-sells-10000-copies-a-day-report-827047

Sefie, Apr 18, 2016
  2. Sefie

IcyBC

Whoo..that is quite a bit in numbers! My son used to like Minecraft and was obsessed with it for a while! He is now older, thanks God, and I don't have to hear his nagging for games anymore :)

IcyBC, Apr 18, 2016
  3. Sefie

Sefie

Oh so he no longer like to game? :( I'm 29 years old and still play video games, they are really good when I having a bad day. I just sit there and let everything slide off my mind for a couple hours :) I stay away from MMRPGs because I had an addiction to one of them a while ago, and if I dare get close to another one I'm sure I'll get addicted again. That is why I only play single player games ;) Perfect for winding up.

Sefie, Apr 21, 2016
  4. Sefie

Sealpikachu

That is impressive! My brother is in love with the game and to be honest it does look fun. I think its a great alternative for children to develop imagination and creative skills. With the new technology coming out for it soon it will only get more popular too.

Sealpikachu, Apr 21, 2016
  5. Sefie

OursIsTheFury

Huh, that's really amazing, and good for them too, for all those sales. But I really don't see the point though, I never saw the appeal in this game. It's just basically playing LEGO on a computer game, and I don't see why it is really popular even after all these years. Can anyone explain what's up with this game?

OursIsTheFury, Apr 27, 2016
  6. Sefie

IBMPC8088

That's a lot of copies to sell of just one game. I've never played Minecraft or a lot of the newer ones that came out like World of Warcraft or any of that. I don't have as much time for games as I used to, but when I did I always liked the retro games and original 2D sidescrollers, arcade games, and platform or action adventure games. I did and still do like RPGs even if 3D, but the original stuff always was better to me than the things they came out with later. Kudos to that guy for selling that many copies and being able to market it successfully to Microsoft, though!

IBMPC8088, Apr 29, 2016
  7. Sefie

obliviousme

That's a lot of sales and I'm not surprised everyone is flocking to this game. Minecraft is one of a kind, very immersive and it allows the player to unleash their imagination. I've played this game before, sadly i don't have much time nowadays. I love the creative mode because the entire game is basically yours for the taking. Anything is possible. Your imagination is the limit.

obliviousme, May 1, 2016
  8. Sefie

1313dw

I'm not surprised about those numbers. My daughter (a teenager) has been playing the game for a few years now. At first I was surprised as there's not the same level of action as some of the big PlayStation and Xbox games out there and the graphics are anything but cutting edge. Then I started paying attention to what she is drawn to. She is extremely drawn to being able to play with friends from all over the world. We live in a global community now and my daughter actually has friends she has personally met who reside in other countries. The game is a great way for her to stay connected and maintain common interests.

She also loves watching others play the game in YouTube videos. I thought this was the weirdest thing but it's great entertainment for her to see someone struggle with an issue she faces in a dramatic and funny way. These are her celebrities and she begs to meet them when they are available at conventions nearby. She doesn't want to meet a movie star, she wants to meet a YouTube star because they are well known but still very much like her.

Lastly, I think this game in particular allows her to show off a creative side that she doesn't feel she has. She is not a talented artist but in this game she feels like she can create entire worlds. There is an appeal about that, especially to a young female.

1313dw, May 8, 2016
  9. Sefie

Sealpikachu

I too like th fact that it is not like other games! It seems out of place in today's gaming standards but it promotes creativity. It is a really great way of introducing people to architecture too in my opinion. I have a friend who is considering it as a career just because of minecraft.

Sealpikachu, May 12, 2016
Ask a Question