Microsoft promises that Windows 10 doesn't violate your privacy

Discussion in 'Windows' started by Sefie, Sep 29, 2015.

1. Sefie

Sefie

[​IMG]

''
    Microsoft famously accused Google of "Scroogling" users by selling their private data to advertisers. But when it launched Windows 10, Microsoft was itself roundly criticized for over-zealous personal data collection. Critics say it does things like send parents reports of their kids' PC use, prevent users from opting out of certain types of data collection, and scan PCs for counterfeit software. The software giant has responded to those accusations in a Windows blog post, saying that it only collects data that makes its products work better and that it gives users control over information collected.

Microsoft started by addressing the "telemetry data" it collects when Windows or an app crashes. Company VP Terry Myerson explained that such info "help(s) us provide a secure and reliable experience," and that it "doesn't include any of your content or files, and we take several steps to avoid collecting any information that directly identifies you." He added that the practice has already paid off, helping a Microsoft partner fix a faulty graphics driver within 24 hours.

As for personal data, Microsoft says that it only collects it to "deliver a delightful and personalized Windows experience," to give you updates on scores for your favorite team, for instance. Additional data is collected for features like Cortana because of its nature as a personal assistant. However, Myerson pointed out that you can opt out of collection of speech, typing, location and other activities.''

So what do you guys think? If you want to read the rest of the article, then you can find it here: http://www.engadget.com/2015/09/29/microsoft-privacy-policy-statement/

Sefie, Sep 29, 2015
  2. Sefie

IcyBC

With all of these speculations and new about Window 10, I am just not ready to make a final decision. Yesterday I talked to a laptop repairman, and he has nothing bad to say about Window 10. I suppose it is really up to the person, what they like, and what they don't like. My knowledge with technology is very limited, I read and read to understand and then just get more confused :)

IcyBC, Sep 30, 2015
  3. Sefie

Sefie

I have also haven't made my mind yet regarding to this OS, I know they say they are not going to violate privacy, but don't you find it kinda odd that the OS comes with a built-in keylogger, @IcyBC? I find it super odd, I know something back posted some thing earlier explaining how to deactivate, but still... I think it is so shady they included that without openly communicate it to the masses.

Sefie, Oct 1, 2015
  4. Sefie

IcyBC

There is a thread about key logger in Window 10 that someone said not true in this forum! I don't have much knowledge about software or technical part of a computer to fool around with it. I just know very little!

IcyBC, Oct 2, 2015
  5. Sefie

Sefie

@IcyBC There is an even more recent thread on the topic that states there is indeed a keylogger, a built in one, but Microsoft wants to assure us they don't mean bad, they just want to get more info on our preferences and so on. If I am not mistaken said thread was started by ''something back'', he explains it very well how to deactivate it.

Sefie, Oct 2, 2015
  6. Sefie

nytegeek

The thing is, that isn't a keylogger. I can see how somebody might mistake it for one but it really isn't. Even if you are of a paranoid nature it is easy enough to turn off anyway.

nytegeek, Oct 7, 2015
  7. Sefie

Sefie

@nytegeek What is the exact term then? Everyone has been referring to it as a keylogger D: But I know how people likes to exaggerate, that is why I'm not always so sure about the person writing the article, a lot people use some terms very freely just to cause a bigger impact on the reader. But it's good to know it's easy to turn that off! I think @something back has a thread on how to turn it off.

Sefie, Oct 8, 2015
  8. Sefie

nytegeek

Well, I don't really know what to call it. I just know it isn't a keylogger. A keylogger is software or even a hardware device that logs every key you press on your keyboard. It captures everything you type with the intent of finding personal messages, passwords, credit card numbers, etc... I suppose if you are incredibly paranoid and use the strictest possible terms to define things you could call anything that captures characters a keylogger.

nytegeek, Oct 10, 2015
  9. Sefie

Sefie

Then the term keylogger is the one that fits best :p And that is why all tech bloggers and writers are using that term? Because they just don't know a better term? So I guess it's safe we refer to it as a keylogger, just to simplify things. If we follow that string of ideas, it isn't wrong to call it a keylogger, not until someone comes up with a better term ;)

Sefie, Oct 11, 2015
  10. Sefie

nytegeek

No it doesn't fit because it has a negative connotation. A keylogger is malware in most cases and this clearly isn't malware. A keylogger is not an anonymous sampling of text. A keylogger ties your identity to what it records and this does not.

nytegeek, Oct 11, 2015
  11. Sefie

thess

I heard something about them taking your files, which his a definite invasion of privacy. I don't trust any OS in regards to privacy sadly. I use it because I need it but I am careful with what information I expose on there.

thess, Nov 4, 2015
  12. Sefie

nytegeek

That is exactly the sort of unfounded rumor that I have been talking about. It is probably best to check sources when you hear or read something like that.

nytegeek, Nov 5, 2015
Ask a Question