Microsoft Edge... why even bother?

Discussion in 'Windows' started by ElendilE, Jan 25, 2016.

1. ElendilE

ElendilE

With the new Windows 10 came the new and highly advertised Microsoft Edge, an internet browser that promises to blow its competitors out of the park. Since both the operating system and the program has been out for quite some time now, I think it's a good time to pop the question. Is Edge what it was advertised to be? Is can it truly compete with the other heavy hitters in the market like firefox and chrome? Or is it just a rehashed version of the dreaded Internet Explorer and like its predecessor, almost completely useless?

ElendilE, Jan 25, 2016
  2. ElendilE

Sefie

My fiance did upgrade to Windows 10, so he has Microsoft Edge installed in his computer. I've tried it myself and to be honest I don't think it's as awesome as they say it is. Nothing out of the ordinary, I still prefer Chrome ;)

Sefie, Jan 25, 2016
  3. ElendilE

PingPongCall

Will anyone ever not prefer chrome. I mean com on, Google has pretty much nailed down everything they do at this point. It's almost embarrassing for other companies to even try at this point.

PingPongCall, Jan 27, 2016
  4. ElendilE

GearZ

Yah, pretty much. I've used it. It is a pretty solid browser. It is light-years beyond the train-wreck that was/is IE. But who cares at this point? Chrome works on nearly every major OS and device on the market so, meh.

GearZ, Feb 2, 2016
  5. ElendilE

Andorphin

I've personally used both Firefox and Chrome. Now I'm aditionally using Microsoft Edge from Windows 10. To be honest I do see some differences. Edge is indeed the faster browser that I've ever used. I think for me Edge > Firefox > Chrome would be the restriction on which one is faster. Now, I'm not sure whether Edge is safer than the other ones.

Andorphin, Feb 2, 2016
  6. ElendilE

IBMPC8088

It's quite the opposite of any type of edge, because it's just more Microsoft disadvantages. It's not compatible with any of the Internet modules you had for web integration with Visual C++ or Visual Basic 6 or VB.NET (at least, not at the time of this post), so if you write a program that uses integrated web apps, you won't be able to use them or API calls that reference them because what Edge uses is not yet available for that. If you're looking to just use it as a browser, it doesn't give you any advantage over Chrome, Firefox, Opera, Safari, or any other browser you choose to use. It's just Microsoft attempting to rebrand and change the history of their notoriously insecure network software with the hope that people will try to use it again since it has a new name and is not yet compatible with what they feel would make it "more" of a security risk than it still is.

There isn't going to be any need or reason to use Edge unless Microsoft does what they normally do and start forcing people and organizations to use what is not necessary, while alienating others in the process of doing that. There's usually money involved to get people on that never-ending carousel of pointless recycling of old software with a new paint job, but until the public wises up to it and says no more, then it's going to always continue this way to the point that it becomes unusable.

IBMPC8088, Feb 3, 2016
  7. ElendilE

thedeatheater1410

Edge while looking and feeling better than the clunky Internet Explorer, still is miles behind Google Chrome, Firefox or even Safari. It does not have the kind of add ons and plugins which Chrome and Firefox have, which makes it utility very less. Also most of the websites today are optimized for Chrome and Firefox; that's the reason why even well known websites render weirdly in Edge. But the only time I have been using Edge is for watching Netflix on my laptop; Chrome and Firefox can't play Full HD, and I can't be bothered to install Safari just for Netflix. So I use Edge to browse and play Netflix videos. It is pretty slick and easy to use but it still very basic in terms of what all things it can do, compared to Chrome and Firefox.

thedeatheater1410, Feb 7, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  8. ElendilE

PingPongCall

Still dont want it

PingPongCall, Feb 12, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  9. ElendilE

Ishmael

I mean they tried, I thought it was fine. It's miles better than Internet Explorer which is already a good thing.

Ishmael, Feb 23, 2016
  10. ElendilE

SirJoe

It's going to take sometime for people to start using it. IE left a lasting dent on the Microsoft browsers. I personally haven't used it all that much, I still prefer working with Firefox and Chrome.

SirJoe, Mar 5, 2016
  11. ElendilE

fcuco

Edge is a work in progress, they still have to present the way in which extensions are going to work and they still need to add some features, you can't compare it to the more mature offerings yet because it is a new product. If anything, it is very lightweight alternative precisely because it lacks a lot of features that maybe you don't need for a quick browsing section.

fcuco, Mar 12, 2016
Ask a Question