Mame, with great performance!

Discussion in 'Linux' started by sideways, Aug 23, 2008.

1. sideways

sideways

Google for each of these:

gxmame-0.35-0.4.beta2.fc5.i386.rpm
    xmame-0.106-1.fc6.i386.rpm
    compat-expat1-1.95.8-3.i386.rpm
    Glide_V3-2.60-17.i586.rpm

I'll assume they downloaded to Downloads directory. Open a terminal (Alt+F2, 'terminal) and type
    Code:
    cd Downloads
    sudo rpm -ihv --nodeps *.rpm
    If you have the xfce menu available then Gxmame is in the Games section, otherwise launch from the terminal by typing 'gxmame &'

Configure 'Directories' and 'Default Options' do not check 'Sleep when idle' in the Display section (this adversely effects performance for some reason), in the Rendering section set XVideo mode and Fullscreen. If you have a usb joystick, set it as /dev/js0 in the Controllers section. (Hold down Alt before left-clicking a menu to enable the menu to be moved up with the mouse so you can see the buttons at the bottom)

EDIT for usb joysticks you need to install the missing joydev.ko kernel module [attachment=0:nv0higb5]joydev.zip[/attachment:nv0higb5] (also download it here
    Code:
    unzip -j Downloads/joydev.zip
    sudo cp joydev.ko /lib/modules/2.6.23.9lw/kernel/drivers/input/
    sudo depmod
    sudo modprobe joydev
    You can try out scanline effects etc while a game is running by pressing Ctrl+Pg Up or Ctrl + Pg Dn to cycle through six effects. Press F11 to see framerates, 90% of games will play at 100% framerate.

The following tip is recommended to improve 3d graphics performance which I think helps a bit here too

add 'export INTEL_BATCH=1' to /etc/profile and reboot (NB. Haven't found any instability issues yet, but be warned that this setting can cause crashes)

One further tip, for some vertical aspect games (eg PacMan (PuckMan), Galaxians) you can rotate the screen sideways and place the AAO on its side (Obviously you need a usb joystick plugged in the top for this to be useable!) set Rotatation to Anti-Clockwise in the Display options in Gxmame.

sideways, Aug 23, 2008
  2. sideways

Genjuro

Thanks for this, i was having problems getting it working before but its great now.

Genjuro, Aug 25, 2008
  3. sideways

nigelwill

EDIT: OK now, realised I forgot to "su" first, doh!

Thanks for the guide, but I get an error when I try to install the first package:

error: can't create transaction lock on /var/lib/rpm/__db.000

Any idea what might be wrong? I'm fairly new to Linux, but I do know my way around Solaris/UNIX

Thanks

nigelwill, Aug 27, 2008
  4. sideways

sideways

my mistake, it should have been 'sudo rpm -ihv --nodeps *.rpm', I edited the first post

sideways, Aug 27, 2008
  5. sideways

nigelwill

Thanks for the update. I've downloaded a ROM from Romnation and put it in the /usr/share/xmame/roms directory as the original .zip file. MAME has re-built the list and it now shows, but when I try to run I get an error saying LIRC disabled followed by a list of .bin files

nigelwill, Aug 27, 2008
  6. sideways

sideways

Which rom is it? Some roms require lirc (linux infra red controller), eg Operation Wolf, but there is an alternative US rom image which doesn't. You just picked a rom incompatible with v0.106 of xmame. I really can't get involved in a discussion about mame roms here, but suggest you search for alternative versions of the rom or try other games. There are torrents out there for older rom collections if you search. But once again, this forum can not be used for a discussion of where to get mame roms.

sideways, Aug 28, 2008
  7. sideways

nigelwill

Thanks for the info, I did wonder if there might be some legal issues regarding the use of ROMS, even very old ones. I'm not going to mention specifics, but the ROM is for a game that used joystick/fire buttons only, and I have played it in the past on the PC version. I'll try some more ROMS and alternate versions of this one to see if that is the problem. Might try it on my XP laptop to see if that works also, but I haven't had much luck with the XP version either!

nigelwill, Aug 28, 2008
  8. sideways

nigelwill

Must have been a dodgy ROM, tried another file and it works although the display is very small. How can I make it full screen?

nigelwill, Aug 28, 2008
  9. sideways

sideways

You can set fullscreen as the default for all games in gxmame: Option -> Default Options -> Rendering.

Also ensure video mode is is Xvideo, it sounds like you're in Normal mode (Press Alt + Fn + Pg Up to switch to XVideo during the game)
    (NB DO NOT use opengl mode, it will lock up the machine)

Alternative, you can toggle fullscreen by pressing Alt + Pg Dn during the game

sideways, Aug 28, 2008
  10. sideways

nigelwill

Thanks again for the tips.

I've set the rendering to Xvideo, but I don't think the dialogue fits the screen as there is no OK/Cancel in the bottom corner to save the settings? Fullscreen is also ticked, but when I start the game it's still a postage stamp. Alt-PgDn does switch it to fullscreen though.

nigelwill, Aug 29, 2008
  11. sideways

sideways

Move the dialog box up by holding down alt before left clicking the mouse, this allows you to move the box with the mouse. You need to click the 'Apply' button at the bottom.

sideways, Aug 29, 2008
  12. sideways

nigelwill

Thanks, it now works in full screen.

Didn't know about the Alt key to move windows, that will come in handy as there seem to be a number of dialogs that don't fit vertically.

nigelwill, Aug 30, 2008
  13. sideways

uberchris

Please can someone reupload the joydev.zip file(seems to have been deleted), got mame working and aching to try it with my usb arcade stick.

uberchris, Oct 9, 2008
  14. sideways

sideways

This forum is going downhill, pics and attachments being deleted?? (it's only 9k)

here's an alternative link joydev.ko for Aspire One

sideways, Oct 10, 2008
  15. sideways

Harani

This used to work great for me but i recently did a rebuild on the machine and have gone to put GXmame / Xmame back on follwing these intructions but i'm now encountering a problem

when i start GXmame up it says "No Xmame executable found" (add/remove software says it is installed)
    I'm guessing i have to piont GXmame manualy to where Xmame is installed (i didn't have to last time i did it ) but i can't seem to find it.

any pointers please ?

Harani, Nov 10, 2008
  16. sideways

sideways

it's in the Options -> Directories dialog (first tab)

That is strange though, the executable should be the default one /usr/bin/xmame

sideways, Nov 11, 2008
  17. sideways

Harani

I knew the about the directories. just wasn't sure where they should be pointing to.
    however despite add/remove software saying xmame is installed it doesn't seem to be in /usr/bin

i have tried removing and reinstalling but still have the same problem. I'm not sure where it's putting it

Harani, Nov 11, 2008
  18. sideways

elsapo

Hi,

thanks for you're guide.
    I'm having a couple of problems.

1) using XVideo as Rendering option makes it unusable, full screen or not. The frame rates drops dramatically, playing games like Bump&Jump or Donkey Kong. Using Normal it's pretty much fast, but it does not work in full screen.

2) The joystic works in the main menu, selecting the games form the list. Up, down and A+B. While playing it does not, and only left and right can be used..

Is there anybody having an idea about it?

Thanks a lot in advance.
    Cheers.

elsapo, Jan 7, 2009
  19. sideways

robertr

Help needed as a noobie please.

Have followed all instructions and installed Mame, I am unable to put any game roms in the rom folder, can someone talk me through it please.

Thankyou.

robertr, Jan 18, 2009
  20. sideways

bennnneb

how do i open the roms folder or configure it. it says nautilus not running.

bennnneb, Jan 21, 2009
Ask a Question