make: *** [install] Error 1

Discussion in 'Linux' started by cmchristou, Feb 3, 2009.

1. cmchristou

cmchristou

Hi. I've recently reinstalled Linpus Linux Lite to my AA1. I'm trying to reinstall pyNeighborhood through the terminal, the same as I did before. Every thing seems to be working well until I get to 'make install'. Here's what I get from ./configure onwards:

[root@localhost pyNeighborhood-0.4.1]# ./configure
    creating pyNeighborhood script
    creating config.py
    creating pyNeighborhood.desktop
    creating Makefile
    Installation prefix is /usr/local
    [root@localhost pyNeighborhood-0.4.1]# make
    `which python` ./compile
    Listing . ...
    Compiling ./bookmarks.py ...
    Compiling ./checkmount.py ...
    Compiling ./config.py ...
    Compiling ./dialog.py ...
    Compiling ./getsmbshare.py ...
    Compiling ./groups.py ...
    Compiling ./handlers.py ...
    Compiling ./hostsparser.py ...
    Compiling ./mainwindow.py ...
    Compiling ./monitor.py ...
    Compiling ./options.py ...
    Compiling ./optparser.py ...
    Compiling ./pyNeighborhood.py ...
    Compiling ./sharmount.py ...
    Compiling ./threads.py ...
    [root@localhost pyNeighborhood-0.4.1]# make install
    `which python` ./compile
    Listing . ...
    install -d //usr/local/bin
    install pyNeighborhood //usr/local/bin
    install -d //usr/local/share/applications
    install --mode=644 pyNeighborhood.desktop //usr/local/share/applications
    install -d //usr/local/share/pyNeighborhood/icons
    install --mode=644 icons/*.png //usr/local/share/pyNeighborhood/icons
    install: cannot stat `icons/*.png': No such file or directory
    make: *** [install] Error 1

I've been searching this forum and Google for several hours now but I can't find anything. Does anyone know what the problem might be and how I can fix it? I've only been a Linux user for about a month so please try to explain as simply as possible. Thanks in advance!

cmchristou, Feb 3, 2009
  2. cmchristou

mattytee

Does
    Code:
    /usr/local/share/pyNeighborhood/icons
    exist? Are there any png files in it?

Everything looks good except that 644 would be a weird mode for a directory -- it should be used on files but not directories. They're trying to make the files readable and writable. But it looks like they're just using that for the files. Still, it's not explicit what they've done there exactly.

You might try
    Code:
    chmod 755 /usr/local/share/pyNeighborhood/icons
    and then run make install again.

The other thing is, wouldn't the script be going to /usr/local/share/pyNeighborhood/icons/icons/ with that line? So maybe change that in the script or create another directory in /usr/local/share/pyNeighborhood/icons called icons
    Code:
    cd /usr/local/share/pyNeighborhood/icons/
    mkdir icons
    and try the make install again. Of course, the program may or may not find its icons if they do go there. You're sure you checked their forums for this issue?

It's one or the other, either the script is broken there or the permissions are weird.

mattytee, Feb 3, 2009
  3. cmchristou

daldred

I think it may be easier than that - try 'sudo make install' instead of just 'make install'.

Installing often needs access to directories to which you as a mere user don't have access; make yourself root with 'sudo' and you may well find the difficulties melt away!

(Linux compilation instructions do sometimes forget to mention this; whether the writers think it's obvious or whether they assume you'd do a whole compile task as root I don't know).

daldred, Feb 3, 2009
  4. cmchristou

cmchristou

Thanks for replying. I just tried all of the suggestions with no luck. I also tried the sudo make install thing, but that didn't work either. I assumed that I didn't need to add sudo as I am in the terminal as root. Any more ideas? I don't understand what it could be because it worked fine the first time I installed.

The /usr/local/share/pyNeighborhood/icons folder does exist, but there's no PNG files in it. There's also pyNeighborhood.desktop in /usr/local/share/applications but nothing happens when I click on it. I tried right click, execute but that didn't work either.

cmchristou, Feb 3, 2009
  5. cmchristou

mattytee

OK, then it must be that the icons directory in the download is corrupt or missing. Are you sure it unpacked ok? Is it in the source directory?

I would download the tar or tar.gz again, preferably check the md5sum or whatever, and try building it again.

mattytee, Feb 3, 2009
  6. cmchristou

mattytee

OHHH, wait -- are you writing over an old install?

Do this first
    Code:
    rm -rf /home/user/Downloads/pyNeighborhood-0.4.1
    (or whatever version you were running).

I would still download a fresh copy and check the md5sum, if any.

mattytee, Feb 3, 2009
  7. cmchristou

cmchristou

I've reinstalled Linpus Linux Lite on the system though. I thought that that would wipe the hard drive? I'll try what you've said though and let you know how it goes. I appreciate the help!

cmchristou, Feb 3, 2009
  8. cmchristou

cmchristou

How to install pyNeighborhood (make: *** [install] Error 1)

I've managed to install it. I've found it really difficult to find a complete answer to this so, for the benefit of anyone struggling with the same problem, here is how I done it. It was actually fairly simple!

Download pyNeighborhood.tar.bz2: http://linux.softpedia.com/progDownload ... -4898.html

Open a terminal and input:
    Code:
    sudo yum install make
    sudo yum install gcc
    sudo thunar

This will open your file browser as root.
    Go to the folder where you saved pyNeighborhood.tar.bz2.
    Extract the contents manually. Make sure to select 'Overwrite existing files' and 'Extract files with full path'.

Go into the extracted pyNeighborhood folder (as root).
    Go to: File > Terminal.

This will open a terminal as root and it will also be pointed to the folder containing the files that you need.

Input:
    Code:
    ./configure
    If an error occurs here try:
    Code:
    chmod +x configure
    ./configure

If no error occurs then leave this step out and proceed straight to the following step which is:
    Code:
    make
    make install

It seems to be the 'Extract files with full path' part that sorted this out for me. I think that this ought to work for you too if you are having the same problem installing pyNeighborhood. If you're having any other problems, I'll be happy to try to help. I'm a bit of a Linux newbie though, so I may not be much use though. Post your problem here anyway and I'm sure that somebody else will be able to help.

cmchristou, Feb 6, 2009
  9. cmchristou

mattytee

Aha, no wonder. I didn't even know Xarchiver opened tar files, honestly. Apparently, it doesn't understand tar files too well, though.

The whole POINT of a tar file is that it keeps the directory structure. It's not compressed in and of itself, hence .gz or .tgz to denote that it's also gzipped.

The documentation should have noted the tar command needed. You're in the command line anyway, just use tar.

mattytee, Feb 7, 2009
  10. cmchristou

cmchristou

I don't really understand anything about Linux. All I know is that that's what worked for me. I think that the extracted files must have been corrupted or something when I was extracting them through the terminal.

Thanks for your help btw! It was greatly appreciated.

cmchristou, Feb 11, 2009
Ask a Question