MacBook Air or Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'Which Laptop should I buy?' started by janineaa, Mar 1, 2014.

1. janineaa

janineaa

I'm trying to decide between the two because I am in need of purchasing a new one. The two are so similar now because of the Retina-equipped MacBook Pro, which is as light and thin as it has ever been. But then the MacBook Air has also improved because its performance is pretty good for such a thin and light device. It's hard to choose which to get for many reasons. One is that the 13-inch Pro is just .5 pounds heavier, the Air has a better battery life with an additional 3 hours compared to the Pro, Pro has a Retina display which isn't exactly a necessity, and the Air is cheaper. It's hard to choose but if you are just looking for something portable and lightweight with a good battery life, it's best to get the MacBook Air. If you need a faster processor for intense use, go with a MacBook Pro.

What do you guys suggest?

janineaa, Mar 1, 2014
  2. janineaa

tygh12

It depends on whether you need to carry it around lots or not. If you need to carry it around, you should probably get a macbook air, and if you don't carry it around much then you should definitely get a pro.The Macbook Pro has better graphics and runs smoother, and has a better system. If you want to spend money, spend just a little more to get a better one and buy a pro.

tygh12, Mar 31, 2014
  3. janineaa

useruser

It really depends on what you need the laptop for. If you need a work machine, go for the pro. If you need something to browse Facebook and Twitter on, go for the air. I hope you take my advice into account.

useruser, Apr 14, 2014
  4. janineaa

LindaKay

If I were going to spend the money on a Mac, I would go ahead and get the Pro. But, I do think that Apple computers are a bit overrated and too expensive. Maybe I just think that because I've never had one of my own, though.

LindaKay, Apr 30, 2014
  5. janineaa

BlueNile81

Definitely MacBook Pro Bro! If you are paying a lot of $ for an Apple product, might as well go for high end specs.

BlueNile81, Sep 26, 2014
  6. janineaa

IcyBC

I realize that this thread has been a year old, but I just want to say that my sister has the MacBook Pro with Retina and I have MacBook Air. As far as I can see, there is not much different. Depend on how heavily you're using, the battery doesn't seem to far off from each other. If you run lots of media continuously then your battery will drain faster. If you are just using it for work, you will be fine!

IcyBC, Aug 1, 2015
  7. janineaa

Gurpreet Bhatia

Definitely go for MacBook Pro, because it has larger screen size, better battery life. You can check a comparison between MacBook, MacBook Pro and MacBook Air here: http://goo.gl/1DHHVV. MacBook Pro has cheaper maintenance and repair cost.

Gurpreet Bhatia, Aug 12, 2015
    IcyBC likes this.
  8. janineaa

IcyBC

I just read the article link you had here, and I can see the price differences between the MacBook Air and MacBook Pro! The processor in the Pro looks so much stronger than the Air. My MacBook Air was chosen for me as a gift, so I had no choice :( I love it still!

IcyBC, Aug 21, 2015
    Gurpreet Bhatia likes this.
  9. janineaa

SLTE

Pro, definitely. It's more powerful, has more memory, is overall more durable (I had an Air once and it physically fell apart after about a year, though to be fair I'm not easy on my computers), and can do more. You're already spending more than you should on a laptop, so you might as well go the extra mile and get the Pro.

If you want to save a bit of money I suggest looking at Apple's refurbished models. They cost less and are typically just as good as a new laptop. I purchased a refurbished Pro last year and it works sooo nicely.

SLTE, Sep 2, 2015
  10. janineaa

jamesbonner

Well it depends on your needs, if you need it for work then macbook pro is the best solution (specially if you are a coder or something like that), if you need it just for daily work, then macbook air is fine for that :)

jamesbonner, Sep 2, 2015
  11. janineaa

kbnystudio

I think that it all depends on what you're mainly using the computer for. If you're just going to be streaming media and browsing the web, maybe some light document work, I would go with the Macbook Air. If you're going to be needing to use full power programs such as Adobe Suite, Final Cut Pro, etc. then I would go with the Macbook Pro for more heavy tasks.

kbnystudio, Dec 8, 2015
  12. janineaa

asmithcwp002

It depends on what you are using it for. MacBook Air is a great computer if you are on the go and us productivity software. It is thin and lightweight but still quite powerful. On the other hand, if you work a lot with photo and video editing or plan use several programs simultaneously that require a lot of juice, then the MacBook Pro is the way to go. It's a faster and more powerful machine.

asmithcwp002, Jan 2, 2016
  13. janineaa

vinaya

I will recommend using Mac Book Prothan , because this is the one that I am using at this moment. I have also tried Mac Book Air, and I found Mac Book Pro better than Mac Book Air.

vinaya, Jan 27, 2016
  14. janineaa

sharatharadhya

If this is your main computer go for the Apple Macbook Pro. If you have another device at your house for all the weightlifting, I would recommend the Apple Macbook Air. The thing about going for thinner Laptops always raises an issue. With more powerful Laptops, you need more real estate to dissipate heat. If you go thinner, you gain on portability but lose on CPU fans and heat is not properly dissipated, making your Laptop uncomfortable to use during long work Hours. It still is your choice, but I think you d=should go wit Macbook Pro.

sharatharadhya, Feb 2, 2016
  15. janineaa

djtech

I personally would never go for a pro, because I have seen quite a few people NEVER use the amazing processing power that the pro comes with.

The world is connected and all about speed. So, go for the macbook air. You can carry it with you anywhere, connect it to any wifi, and zip through a lot of everyday tasks that you need to do. Its light, fast, and gets everything done. Sure, there is a price difference but that is not what Apple is about.

You will love it and you'll thank me once you've a macbook air in your hands.

djtech, Feb 2, 2016
  16. janineaa

GearZ

Unless you are doing some "heavy lifting" with your notebook, I'd just go with the Air. For basic operations (browsing, mail, file operations, communications, etc.), it is fine. If, however, you are doing more intensive work with the unit, the Pro might make sense.

GearZ, Feb 10, 2016
  17. janineaa

djtech

Yeah. I would stick with air like I said before. Seems other members agree with me on this one too.

djtech, Feb 11, 2016
  18. janineaa

Raider19

For executive work, travel and commuting definitely the Air and for everything else the Pro. At my last job we used this formula and it worked out great. The executives had enough power and performance to QC work and respond to email. The worker bee's had enough power to do their grunt work.

Raider19, Mar 9, 2016
  19. janineaa

Personablue

Exactly, if this would be your main computer, then going with the Air will be a limiting thing to do. It is not at all suitable for high intensity task like gaming or video editing. While if this would be your supplement to your main computer, then Air is the most logical thing to get. It has great connectivity, highly portable and will assist your main computer.

Personablue, Mar 12, 2016
  20. janineaa

rz3300

I am not a Mac user but I have to say that I have always wanted to have one of those MacBook Air. The main reason why I went with my current computer is the size and the weight, but since I like the smaller and lighter ones it really lacks of the stuff that the bigger ones have, and I think that this would really be the perfect medium. I just hope that the price can come down a little bit before I can think about buying one.

rz3300, Mar 12, 2016
Ask a Question