Linux - command to copy from thumb drive?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Folklover, Nov 22, 2008.

1. Folklover

Folklover

Okay .... I'm trying to install a driver for my new USB modem (US Robotics 5637) and I've found some really great instructions. I've been playing around with various commands to use in the terminal window and they are making sense but I've come to a roadblock with something that is probably dead simple.

The kernal module I want to install has been downloaded from the internet and is currently on a thumb drive. I have also copied it onto the hard drive using the file manager but when I am in the terminal window I just can't find the blooming thing!

In DOS you would refer to a file as A:\cdc-amc.ko or something along those lines and you could write a command to copy it over. I know what the command is in Linux but I just can't figure out how to direct the computer to find it on that removeable thumb drive.

Does anyone know how that filename would be expressed? The file I want is in the root of the Kingston removeable thumb drive.

I hope this was as clear as mud and thanks for your time.

Karen

Folklover, Nov 22, 2008
  2. Folklover

steven.chien

In my knowledge, no one had ever successfully install(base on this forum.. )a usb modem on aspire one shipped with Linux, even the modem is Linux friendly!

Just hoping any genius will soon give out a solution!

steven.chien, Nov 22, 2008
  3. Folklover

dirk

Look in /media it's likely that the drive will be auto mounted there.

Once you know where it is, a command like
    cp /media/myusb/myfile ~
    would copy the file to your home folder (the ~ symbol is read by the system as being the path to your home folder)

The part that concerns me is that you already copied it using the GUI but cant find the file is the file system. Where did you copy it to when using the gui?

dirk, Nov 22, 2008
  4. Folklover

Grim Squeaker

Let me guess: you have a SD card in the expansion slot ?

If so, the file manager will pretend the SD card and the internal solid state drive are one, and combine the contents in the folder listings.
    The terminal however will in general not - that distinguishes between personal files on the SD card (under /media/disk) and on the internal storage (under /home/user).

So your files are probably somewhere under /media ;)

I am curious to see however if your system will accept the kernel module since you did not compile it on the One...

Grim Squeaker, Nov 22, 2008
  5. Folklover

jinx022

It's much easier to just type "sudo thunar" in a terminal window. Then you can just find your file and right click to copy it and then right click again to paste it into the correct folder. Otherwise "cp /media/disk/file_name target_folder_path" may work if the target folder exists and you know the exact path.

jinx022, Nov 23, 2008
  6. Folklover

pablo2340

I have found this myself, not just with terminal - there seem to be a number of programs which don't see the merging of the SSD and an SD card in the expansion slot. You can see where the file you copied has gone to by opening the File Manager (either selecting "My Files" under Files in the Aspire desktop, or "File Manager" in the Advanced mode list) and then selecting "View as Advanced Mode" in the View menu - this splits the SSD from the SD card, and you can then copy from the card to the SSD...

Good luck!

pablo2340, Dec 1, 2008
  7. Folklover

Folklover

Thanks for all your help! I know this is late in coming but I finally sat down and fooled around with this thing and have now sucessfully installed a USB modem - US Robotics model 5637.

Thanks again for your help,

Karen

Folklover, Feb 25, 2009
Ask a Question