Limited bandwidth

Discussion in 'Networking' started by cluckeyo, Jul 16, 2016.

1. cluckeyo

cluckeyo

We are connected through satellite, which means we have limited bandwidth. Monthly, we get 15 GB during the day and I just discovered that we get a separate 15 GB in the middle of the night. I'm seriously considered changing my sleep schedule, so that I can enjoy some of that midnight bandwidth. There are several things I could do with it. Does anybody here stay up late to get the free bandwidth?

cluckeyo, Jul 16, 2016
    Karen Gordon likes this.
  2. cluckeyo

Corzhens

Pardon me for this comment but why would you sacrifice your health just for the internet access? Is there no other way for connecting to the internet? If there is then I would probably change to the other provider that would give me the convenience of fast access. Or maybe you can upgrade the subscription package so you get a good bandwidth all day long. I'm afraid that staying late at night may be a habit that would cause you health issues later.

Corzhens, Jul 16, 2016
  3. cluckeyo

hades_leae

You must stay in an area where the is limitations on how bandwidth is provided through out the area I would assume because I never heard of a company that gives it out the way you explain.

I would actually do like you said and change my sleep schedule and enjoy it as well. I'd spend hours downloading as much content as I can, it's free bandwidth.

hades_leae, Jul 16, 2016
  4. cluckeyo

rz3300

Well few thing can be as frustrating as having a lot of things to do and anticipating not having issues with things like bandwidth, and then there you are having to deal with this stuff before you get your real work done. Trust me I have been there before, and the only real thing that you can do is what @hades_leae mentioned above...just go to the area where you know you will be okay, or do them at a time where it is better for you too.

rz3300, Jul 16, 2016
  5. cluckeyo

acerme2

I have not heard about having separate bandwidth at day and at night. I won't mind though if I have to shift my schedule a bit to accommodate heavy downloading at night if that was the case, but may be not on a daily basis. I know that many online workers are actually turning day to night and night to day to work with clients across the globe and timezone that is why many ISPs here actually don't bother now with peak or off-peak rates/speed.

acerme2, Aug 6, 2016
  6. cluckeyo

rz3300

Timing is certainly more of an issue than it used to be. When you start to think about the globe and what types of businesses you are dealing with, it can really vary because I know of a couple that I thought were based here in the US, and then sure enough they were all the way across the world. That just means that night here might go smoother than the day, but it really depends. It is really interesting, though, so thanks for sharing.

rz3300, Aug 18, 2016
  7. cluckeyo

Karen Gordon

I am in the same situation CLuckeyo. You must have Exede. I do stay up past Midnight so I can stream. I wouldn't change my entire sleep schedule though. I just don't get up too early in the morning as a rule. I do really enjoy the late night free zone as most satellite providers don't offer that. It is something I really benefit from I think.

Karen Gordon, Sep 5, 2016
  8. cluckeyo

rz3300

That seems like a lot of work for a reward that should just be there. That is just my opinion of course, and now that I think about it if I was forced to do that then I would do the exact same thing. It is interesting though, and I guess knowing the best times to use the programs is the only way you can go sometimes.

rz3300, Sep 8, 2016
  9. cluckeyo

something back

Turn off automatic update on as many programs as you can
    go to the task manager and stop many programs starting at start up
    this will save you lots of internet download allowance.

I agree with many other members comments don't alter your
    sleep pattern.

After midnight you can setup a scheduler program to start some programs
    or just start them yourself then go to bed.

something back, Sep 8, 2016
  10. cluckeyo

Karen Gordon

Yes, I try to do all of the above. I never update windows automatically either. I mean it could be done in the middle of the night, but my computer is weird about that kind of thing. It seems to take forever to do windows updates. Only essential programs should be allowed to run during the time when bandwidth is limited in my opinion.

Karen Gordon, Sep 10, 2016
Ask a Question