laptop won't turn on until very long

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by artemus123, May 29, 2016.

1. artemus123

artemus123

I'm currently using an old Windows 7 Acer Aspire model 5625G and I have problems switching it on. Whenever I would want to switch it on, I would press the power button and wait until I feel the hot air coming out from the laptop and if it doesn't show the acer logo by then I would switch it off and try again, I would take 30-45 mins doing this continuous process whenever I want to use the laptop. Also, when it's switched on, it always says '0%, not charging' for the battery and when I take the power adapter off, the laptop would instantly switch off and I have to do the whole process again. I suspect that there's a battery problem or there are some overheating problems in my laptop. It's a decently fast laptop and I really would like to get it fixed soon, thanks!

artemus123, May 29, 2016
  2. artemus123

Brian8gbSSDLinux

For a start..
    Over heating. My Acer has only 12 (same size screws) holding the underneath cover on (CHECK that all yours are when you remove them ( some laptop screws ALSO hold in vital parts and putting the screws back in the wrong place can cause problems (So, First time I set the removed screws un a piece of card showing where they came from !)

A small, soft (Decorators) paint brush can be used to clear Fluff/ compacted dust from VENTS... DO NOT brush it across Electronic Circuits (!)

Second...
    Having MORE than ONE Anti Virus program installed WILL SLOW COMPUTERS DOWN...(They fight for supremacy, hogging the CPU Bandwidth)
    SO...IF you have McAfees AND Nortons AND/OR someone elses ANTIVIRUS programs installled - DECIDE which one you want to keep abd use the relevant Removal tool to remove ALL traces of the one(s) you do NOT WANT)

Symantec/ Norton can be found here...
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/mg/sortname/symantec_removal_tools.html

McAfee Component Removal tool, here...
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/mcafee_consumer_product_removal_tool.html

Third...
    a Replacement battery from Amazon will only be 1/3 the price asked byy Acer... see this page.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_s...=aps&field-keywords=Acer+Aspire+5625G+Battery

Those should give you SOME help (I HOPE) in speeding up your Laptop

I hope it was helpful, please keep us updated,, so we can go deeper in needed...

Brian8gbSSDLinux, May 30, 2016
  3. artemus123

artemus123

Thanks, it can switch on instantly now but still it's a bit slow but bearable

artemus123, Jun 4, 2016
  4. artemus123

Corzhens

Surely your laptop has a dead battery or a clogged contact point. If I were you, I wouldn't gamble to tinker with the battery. It is better to hand it to the experts so you won't have anything to worry about. But then again, my personal guess is a dead battery so if there is a way that you can try a new battery then do it so you would be certain if it just needs a new battery of the internal charger is the one at fault.

Corzhens, Jun 18, 2016
  5. artemus123

IBMPC8088

If it's a heating or overheating issue, try placing it in the freezer for 5 or 10 minutes and then turn it on. The temperature difference being cooler rather than hot should help it stay on the first or second time you cycle the power. If the CPU fan isn't working, it's going to get hot very quickly and shut off, but a short or problem with the battery or charger along with this can make it take longer to power on. If the battery is bad, just pull it out and use the laptop as a desktop until you can get another battery for it. Acer's have always run really hot. Running them in a cooler room with the A/C on, near a cool fan (externally) or anything else to keep temps at bay is good, and that includes not running excess programs when it starts (what's said about the antivirus programs is true, but the preloading of too many programs and services that heat up the processor or use the magnetic hard drive creating heat are going to make it turn off faster, too). If you can replace the magnetic drive with an SSD, there won't be any DC motor or moving parts to heat up faster, and with the speed increase you'll have less heat being made and be able to manage the temperature better that way, too.

Additionally, if the GPU is adding any excess heat to make it overheat, then try making the screen brightness less. There isn't as much power needed for the LCD screen if you reduce brightness, and in addition to not overloading the GPU, that helps to control the heat a little, too even though it's usually overlooked.

IBMPC8088, Jun 18, 2016
  6. artemus123

sparkster

I don't think this is just the battery alone. Obviously, there is a power problem which could be to do with either the battery or the power adaptor. It does also sound like it's overheating though. I suppose that problem could be related to the power consumption in some way but I think it's unlikely. Is the fan working?

sparkster, Jun 18, 2016
Ask a Question