Laptop sales are dropping

Discussion in 'Laptop General Discussion' started by Vash, Aug 26, 2016.

1. Vash

Vash

So from what I have heard, laptop sales are dropping by about 10% per year during the last a few years.

What do you think the main reason is?

In my opinion, it is the rise of mobile phones. Most people do not use computers for their jobs. So their basic computing needs are no more than emailing, messaging, online shopping, and perhaps google around a bit, plus watching a movie or two, reading some news, etc. All of these simple tasks used to be done on nothing but computers. Now with mobile phones become larger and more powerful, many people found all their computing needs can be met without a computer. (I am not one of them, although I do use my mobile phone a lot). I still use my computers to do more complex tasks.

The other question is, with the current trend, do you think the laptop will shrink into a niche product?

Vash, Aug 26, 2016
  2. Vash

rz3300

Well I would certainly agree that a lot of people may be forgoing the laptop for the mobile phone, but I am not sure that will really last, but I could be wrong. I just know that I could not get by without a laptop, but then again I have been using a Chromebook for some time, so I wonder if those are included in the numbers that are being reported. It is very interesting though, and I am curious to see where it goes from here. Thanks for sharing.

rz3300, Aug 26, 2016
  3. Vash

fcuco

Computer sales in general are dropping, laptops in particular now face competition from mobile phones and Tablets, Tablets are perfect for people that only used laptops in order to consume media and not produce content. The final nail in the coffin for laptops could be something akin to the iPad Pro: a tablet - laptop hybrid that could also be used for content production.

Laptop won't disappear, they will simply evolve and merge into powerful tablets with several input devices.

fcuco, Aug 29, 2016
  4. Vash

Corzhens

I am not aware of this news but I guess it has a logic because one vendor of desktop computers had already predicted the decline of laptop sales not really because of the competition with desktops but because of the advancement of smart phones. When the smart phones with big screens came out (mine is a Samsung with a big screen), it was already evident that some users of laptops were enamored with those smart phones. So if that report is accurate then it means that the laptop is losing to the smart phones. But it's not the whole story though for the laptop is much different to the smart phone when it comes to functions. Those laptop users who are shifting to smart phones are those with basis uses only like internet surfing and gaming.

Corzhens, Aug 30, 2016
  5. Vash

Aree Wongwanlee

I think we are all thinking along the same way. Smartphones and tablets are merging into phablets. In many cases, it's becoming very difficult to differentiate between a smartphone and a tablet.

Take, for example, the latest offering from Samsung. The Note 7, in smartphone form and in tablet form, are almost identical.

On top to that, we are able to do just about everything that we used to do on a laptop by using a smartphone. Browsing the internet? Of course. Writing letters? Why not? If you don't like typing with your thumbs, you can always use a bluetooth external keyboard. Video editing? This used to be the domain of high-end desktops. I found out that I could do video editing even on a Samsung Note 8. So, no problem again.

Perhaps the key to the success of the smartphone is that there is a trend to put as much power into as little space as possible. Maybe if laptop manufacturers were to head in the same direction, they may win back some market share.

Aree Wongwanlee, Aug 30, 2016
  6. Vash

Elektron

That's something I was clearly expecting, Laptops are getting to their final stages nowadays, smartphones are definitely taking their place and it's really happening now. I know there are brands that will keep making Laptops for sale, that's not ever going to stop, but the number of customers will fall down really deep, that's my opinion though.

Elektron, Aug 30, 2016
  7. Vash

acerme2

More than 2 years ago, I've read an article that says laptop manufacturers are shifting their focus on the corporate users because they are anticipating that ordinary consumers will eventually turn to phablets, tablets, smartphones, or other mobile devices as these devices are more affordable and portable. For a time, I thought that the change in focus will make laptop prices higher. The opposite happened, however, and laptop prices have instead dropped as the specs get higher. Laptop manufacturers have also ventured into the smartphone/tablet business to get a share of the market. For me, these products have their own market. At this moment, I can't see smartphones/tablets that can replace the capabilities of the laptop in my line of work.

acerme2, Sep 1, 2016
  8. Vash

SirJoe

The main reason is because there are more options on the market then before. In the past if you wanted to do basic computing you would have to buy a laptop. Now days there are a lot of people that opt for a 2 in 1 or a tablet for their basic computing needs.

SirJoe, Sep 1, 2016
  9. Vash

Aree Wongwanlee

If manufacturers are shifting their focus to the corporate sector, then we can look forward to seeing more expensive high-end model coming on the market. People who work with large corporations do not choose based on price. They want something which is solidly reliable. Solidly reliable can be an expensive thing.

Aree Wongwanlee, Sep 5, 2016
  10. Vash

Fuzyon

No, laptops will still be around for people that need them like myself. I understand that people now use their phones/tablets to browse the internet, send e-mails and play games so they don't buy laptops anymore but I personally still need one. The difference in hardware is big, I wouldn't be able to program on a tablet for example. People that are looking for portability and power will always look at laptops.

Fuzyon, Sep 5, 2016
  11. Vash

cluckeyo

I am not surprised to hear that laptop sales are dropping. Because the new ones I bought this year were extremely affordable. I was so surprised and saved a ton of money. I agree that this might be caused by mobile phones. Everyone, including me, loves their phones. They are so versatile and practical.Many of the quick tasks that were once done on a laptop, are now accomplished with a phone. But for serious work, many might prefer a desktop to a laptop. When I have computing work to do such as site-building, I want a comfortable desk to work at.and that desk has a full desktop computer sitting on it with big screen and everything, Personally though, I still find plenty of uses for the laptop.

cluckeyo, Sep 5, 2016
  12. Vash

clair02

I cannot imagine my life without my laptop, but I do get why the sales are dropping. You're right that a lot of people are finding their mobile phones more than capable of handling their daily needs when it comes to going online. Personally, I prefer to do everything on my laptop, whether it's shopping, playing games, watching movies or whatever. I actually feel naked without my laptop on my lap...

clair02, Sep 13, 2016
Ask a Question