Laptop from barebones?

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by cluckeyo, Apr 30, 2016.

1. cluckeyo

cluckeyo

I am thinking ahead a bit on my impending need to replace my old Dell laptop, which I cannot live without! I don't really like the proprietary factor of Dell. Are laptops easy enough to build from scratch? If so, who do you recommend as a supplier?

cluckeyo, Apr 30, 2016
  2. cluckeyo

IBMPC8088

There was a brief time that it was almost approaching the ease of building SOME types of laptops as if they were desktops from a standard frame, a properly sized motherboard, and a type of kit in a way to where you could make it your DIY project for the week and assemble one just as people assemble desktops according to the specs they want on them.

Notice, I never say "build" as people often errantly do, because to me "building" is doing the lithography or wire-wrapping those cirucits by hand to have the same as a VLSI design but a much larger implementation of it. That is truly "building a computer". When people assemble one...well...it's putting it together, but it's really already built for you. You just have to slap the parts in place gently, make sure a few sanity checks are there, and presto...new computer from the cookbook of digital goodness.

You certainly can design your own case and get replacement motherboards for existing laptops, ultrabooks, or netbooks and make your own type of custom laptop still though, just like you could always do that with a desktop. It isn't as easy or as popular with a laptop, but sure it can be done if you really invest the time to design the case for it or make sure you obtain one that works with the type of board you intend to use, and are able to make it work nicely with the display and everything else that has to extend out of the sides.

Air flow regulation, voltage regulation, proper grounding, and standard design principles for desktops still apply in mostly the same way, only they're far more sensitive. Remember, the smaller the lithographic circuitry you're using the more sensitive it's going to be to changes, static charges, and being situated to the sweet spot for temperature (and harder it is to ground it in some cases).

One good laptop board for this that I like to use whenever there's a request for a custom mini-computer is the Intel Atom N series or successor boards you'll find out there. There's AMD mini boards too, but most of these parts you're looking for will be better found provided to the embedded markets for you than the traditional laptop/desktop ones since many of them are designed for just what you are wanting to do, and some of them already have voltage and heat regulation for you or are able to work as a fanless system making integration or redesign on your own terms a breeze.

I was going to mention something about using FPGAs here to develop your own motherboard exactly how you might need it, but that's going to be more than a lot of people want to do from the ground up. That would be closer to "building" than "assembling", but is always a delight if you want to get into the advanced stuff and try your hand at it later on. :)

For now, if I were you, I would experiment with smaller or older laptops that are inexpensive and see for yourself the form and design for the one you're playing with to get a feel for it. Then when you're ready, order a board (or get the dimensions for it first) and then build or assemble the casing you need and considerations around it. It's always a lot of fun, even if you have to change things later, and always a great way to learn more about doing it.

The original and slightly older Asus EEE systems from 2 to 6 years ago are a joy to use in this way if you can find them to get your feet wet.

IBMPC8088, May 1, 2016
  3. cluckeyo

IcyBC

My nephew who is 22 built his own laptop! I have no knowledge of how to do this sort of thing, but I think it is fascinating, and interesting. I am sure you can do it and if you run into trouble, you probably can find solutions online nowadays.

IcyBC, May 2, 2016
  4. cluckeyo

nytegeek

I wouldn't call it easy, but it can be done. I can PM you a list of suppliers if you would like.

nytegeek, May 8, 2016
Ask a Question