Laptop For College(Computer Science)

Discussion in 'Which Laptop should I buy?' started by Approchable, Mar 23, 2015.

1. Approchable

Approchable

Guys i'm now going to enter college(writing board exams now). And i want to ask you two questions,

1.Should i buy a laptop now or buy one after finishing the first year. I have this doubt because few of my friends recommended me to wait saying i wouldn't need a laptop for most of the first year and by the time i finish the first year i'll know which one to buy(And its gets a bit cheaper) and have a newer one. Others say its better to buy one now use it for four years then get a good one later and move on. So should i buy a lappy now or after a year?

2.Should i go for a 30-40k laptop now and again upgrade after 2nd or mid 3rd year to another 30-40k one then or buy something in the 50-60k region now and use it for the entire college life(4 years). Which would be better? I'm asking this because the 30-40k laptop which i get in maybe mid 3rd year or at the end of 2nd year would equally perform with the 60k one i get now.
    (Which ones would you recommend Flipkart or Amazon(Indian Version plz no Amazon.com Links plz) or retail is also ok or if abroad need international warranty)
    Note: I have a Windows 8.1 x64 license so even if it comes with DOS its ok for me.
    Specs: Would prefer SSD(even if its 64 or 128 gigs over HHD)
    13 inch screen and 1080p atleast(Higher better!)
    Weight no problem(I mean it)
    Battery atleast 4-5 hours otherwise its practically useless for me.
    Ram bare minimum 4 gigs but would prefer a 8 gig one.
    Softwares to run (Maya, Maybe one or two VM's, Unreal Engine 4,Photoshop,Visual Studio few other code related stuff)

Did i miss anything?

Approchable, Mar 23, 2015
  2. Approchable

CDNJester

My honest opinion is get a laptop that is upgradable. Look at Eurocom/Malibal/Celvo. The peripherals can be swapped to upgrade your system.

Also as a student you get a 10 per cent discount

CDNJester, Mar 29, 2015
  3. Approchable

Approchable

Hi guys thanks for the input! Well now the situation has changed! My fathers friend is coming to India from USA in the August so i can get a lappy from USA. Ok so from what i see many guys seem to recommend to get the laptop in second year because you'll not need it in the first year and second skylake is expected to revolutionise the world.

I dont think i'll want to wait till second year for the first reason. I want to get into competitive coding and get into stuff from firstyear.My 11tha nd 12th wasn't their best so i want to make the best use of my college life and the time in hand.So if i wait for a year am i not losing almost a full year of practice? Second skylake thats arguable..Am i going to max out the PCI E 3 bandwidth no..Am i going to break the laptops processor width memory intensive stuff always mostly no.

And yes i dont want to compensate on warranty.Just incase it breaks what do i do isn't my 1000$ getting wasted? And at last is the risk really worth? I dont think so.

So guys should i really wait?

Well atlast i have a good news.If i am given a go to buy the laptop (I would still like to get some opinion from you guys on this) i can get it from USA in August 2015.My budget would be 1000$(Incase i wait for a year my budget would still be the same and i'm not planning to increase it) I've selected a few models which are around the 1000$ range which one do you think is the best?

1)ASUS ROG GL551JW-DS71($1072)
    2)Lenovo Y50-70 Laptop - 59440646($990)

Or
    1) Dell XPS 13(Second model)

Any other lappy recommendations with a service center in India would work for me!
    As you see i again have a doubt should i go for a premium business laptop or stick with the medium to low end gaming rigs?I know the xps 13 doesnt have enough power compared to the other 2 but beats the **** out of them in battery, keyboard,weight.

Approchable, Jun 10, 2015
Ask a Question