Keyboard covers

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Sefie, Sep 12, 2015.

1. Sefie

Sefie

Some weeks ago there was an incident involving my cat, laptop and a bottle of water. It took me a whole month to get back my laptop, because they couldn't find a keyboard in my own language :( That got me thinking into buying a keyboard cover, because well, laptop's weakest point seems to be the keyboard.

So I'm thinking of getting one of those silicone water proof covers, mostly because I heard they are not too troublesome and offer a natural feel when typing. But I have no idea where to look, I haven't had any kind of luck locally :( They don't seem to sell those nice silicon ones over here though, they sell the thicker ones.

Does anyone know of a good place where I can find those thin silicon covers for a Toshiba laptop? I need one in Spanish, with the ''ñ'' character. I don't like those transparent ones you can find everywhere.

Sefie, Sep 12, 2015
  2. Sefie

IcyBC

I agree! If any accessories that needed, I would go for the keyboard cover too! It will prevent spilling and dirt and particles from landing in those tiny spaces on the keyboard. Also, with the cover, the alphabet letters are also protected from fading away. On my old laptop, this occurred that some key letters were disappearing from heavy usage!

IcyBC, Sep 12, 2015
  3. Sefie

Sefie

@IcyBC , do you know of a good place where I can find those? I don't like the transparent ones, I saw some really nice pink colored ones the other day, the letters were printed on them. I doubt I'll be able to find one with the ''ñ'' character, but if you know of any good place where I could find them, then please let me know!

Sefie, Sep 14, 2015
  4. Sefie

IcyBC

My two favorite places to shop online are Amazon and eBay! You usually will find a better price for the same item that you need on these sites, and you can narrow your search such as free shipping, returning allowed. Check with these two sites first, or you can do a google search for the specific one that you're looking for.

IcyBC, Sep 14, 2015
  5. Sefie

Diane Lane

I had one many years ago, for a netbook, and I bought it for really cheap on eBay. It was one of the clear ones, but I believe even back then, they had colored ones. I am in the market for a new keyboard for my desktop. Way too much junk has been dropped and spilled into it, and it still works, but is just yucky, despite many cleanings. I have a sliding keyboard tray on this, so don't need a cover, but I think it's a good idea for your laptop, especially since kitties love to get on them for some reason.

Diane Lane, Sep 22, 2015
    IcyBC likes this.
  6. Sefie

IcyBC

I need one for my MacBook, and will have to start on searching. I don't know why, but the letters on my keyboard laptop always disappearing or missing half by the second year. This happened to my last two previous laptops.

IcyBC, Oct 6, 2015
    Diane Lane likes this.
  7. Sefie

Diane Lane

Some of mine have disappeared as well. I've had this keyboard for about 8 years, though, so I guess that's understandable. I wonder if it's the letters we use the most that tend to disappear first, or if it's a matter of where our hands rest, and how hard we press on the keys. The ones that are missing from my keyboard are U, N, M, and part of H. How about you, @IcyBC? I did some research, and put some keyboards into my watch lists on a couple of sites, but totally forgot to look for the covers, ugh.

Diane Lane, Oct 8, 2015
    IcyBC likes this.
  8. Sefie

IcyBC

I think you are right on the track of thinking the letters we used more often. I am missing M N A K and F. Though I don't think I use those often enough for it to disappear. The letter N, maybe :) It could also be that the keyboard letters were made cheaply so they faded faster now.

IcyBC, Oct 10, 2015
    Diane Lane likes this.
  9. Sefie

Diane Lane

I think you're definitely correct about them being cheaply made. Perhaps those are the keys you rest your fingers on, as well. I'm sure the pressure and oil from our fingertips do eventually take a toll, particularly on the keys we use most. I finally ordered a keyboard, but still forgot to look at the keyboard covers. I'm going to do that now :p.

Diane Lane, Oct 10, 2015
  10. Sefie

cheryllei9h

I bought my keyboard cover on Amazon. You just go to amazon.com and type in the kind of laptop you have and keyboard cover. You could also try ebay.

cheryllei9h, Oct 24, 2015
  11. Sefie

thess

This is something I could use as well. I'll have to look them up for my laptop brand.

thess, Nov 4, 2015
  12. Sefie

KimmyMarkks

I think a key board cover is a very smart idea, especially if you have animals or children around the house who can possibly spill on your computer. I know my keyboards tend to get very dirty and dusty. A keyboard cover is a great way to keep the keyboard clean since they tend to be a lot easier to clean then the actual keyboard. I always believe it’s better to be safe than sorry and if a keyboard cover will protect your computer it’s better to just get one instead of something happening and you wish you did.

KimmyMarkks, Nov 11, 2015
Ask a Question