Just as we were getting used to Windows 8...

Discussion in 'Windows' started by Brian8gbSSDLinux, Oct 30, 2014.

1. Brian8gbSSDLinux

Brian8gbSSDLinux

Microsoft may be ending Windows 8 software retail sales on Friday, October 31,
    but the company has another deadline that it claims it will follow on the same day

From Windows Central:
    According to Microsoft's Windows life cycle fact sheet, OEM sales of Windows 7 Home Basic, Home Premium and Ultimate will cease on Friday.
    However, there is one small but important exception. Microsoft will still sell copies of Windows 7 Professional to OEMs after Friday and Microsoft has yet to set up a deadline for those sales to end.

Many Businesses still use the 13 year old Windows XP which Microsoft no longer supports. Because they don't want to buy PCs that have the latest version of the OS, Windows 8.1. So it would appear that Microsoft is allowing PC makers to give businesses what they want; a version of Windows 7 when they buy their new systems that doesn't have to be downgraded from Windows 8.1. Some companies may wait even longer for the launch of Windows 10 in 2015 to finish their PC upgrade process, since it will have the Start menu on the desktop like Windows 7

Yes you read that right - Windows 10 is out for testing... (http [​IMG]/www.windowscentral.com/windows-10 )

Brian8gbSSDLinux, Oct 30, 2014
    Ian likes this.
  2. Brian8gbSSDLinux

Brian8gbSSDLinux

I downloaded the Windows Technical Preview Evaluation Copy Build 9841 as is proudly stated bottom right of the screen where your compute probably displays Windows 7 XXXXXXX.

I burned the 1.6 Gb ISO onto an USB Pendrive... I could have burned it to a DVD...
    (having used Netbooks for years, I didn't think to use the Onboard DVD drive.of THIS HP EliteBook)...

Installation was just a matter of deleting the original C Drive (This IS my TOY, NOT my working Netbook !) and choosing Install from the given Menu. It also demanded I have a Microsoft account

(my email actually)... Which I have had for years and years and years although I use Gmail... so "NO Probs Ryan"... (Fosters Ad anyone?)

It DOES ask for a Windows 10 Product code which is available a On-Line - few lines AFTER the one to download the ISO - but I ticked, 'Not available at this time' and it happily carried on with installation anyway...

Having been 'caught out' by Windows RE-Starting Installation - if the DVD not removed... I was on tenterhooks as the Laptop RE-Booted four, maybe five times... but Microsoft seems to have solved that problem (It is a trial!)

I arrived at the Desktop... Yaaaaaay ! NO square 'things' all over the place.just a Desktop with Icons...
    [Welcome to Tech Review] [Recycle Bin/Trash Can] [Internet Explorer] there may have been others but cannot remember.

On the Task Bar there is the 'four square Logo' of Windws 10 where we tend to have the Orb (or 'Start' in Win XP)
    there is also [Search] [Tasks] [File Explorer] and [ IE ] pinned to the Task Bar

At the right end of the Task Bar, the usual Suspects, [Battery (this is a Notebook)] [Power] [Speaker] [Clock] and [Internet Access] plus the [Up Arrow] where Hidden Icons 'hide'.

If you go into Properties on the Task Bar you will find Mr Microsoft ticked 'Use the Start Menu not Start Screen' for us.. kiss, kiss, grovel, grovel, but if YOU prefer the Start Screen, just UN tick that box - close everything down 'n log out and then log in again...

O - K now let's click on the [Start Menu] i.e the Win 10Logo icon

Runs screaming from room....
    Not quite...

The lay out of the Start Menu has Changed... The list of Programs is still on the left, but things like Control Panel, Devices, Computer, Documents has now gone and is replaced with some 'square things' - those hideous App things... are now to the right of the 'sort of' usual Start Menu.

They are [Windows Feedback] which might NOT be in the finished product... [Mail (tied to your MS email account)] [Skype] [One Drive (where you can AUTOMATICALLY if you choose to, save stuff)] [Calendar] [Contacts (People)] and some other stuff, there is also access to a "Store" for other Apps.

If you want to uninstall a program - or do some other stuff you'd normally 'do' thru' Control Panel...you NOW have to click on 'All Apps' go right down, down, down to the last item [Windows System] clicking on that, brings up a small menu containing things like Admin Tools, Control Panel & etc.,

Overall I, me, myself, LIKE IT... It allowed me to install BOTH Chromium and Chrome... (I also 'removed' IE thru'
    Control Panel > Programs & Features > Turn Windows Features On or Off. with only the usual 'things may not work correctly notification').

Go ahead, try it on that old, old computer you hardly ever use... You MIGHT be converted...

PS it is FREE at the Moment... it might keep that old XP machine running a bit longer... you can still install MOST of the programs you used to run (it HAS accepted ALL of mine, so far)...

Attached Files:

• 0.jpg
      0.jpg
      File size:
      71.6 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2014
    Brian8gbSSDLinux, Nov 4, 2014
    Ian likes this.
  3. Brian8gbSSDLinux

Ian Administrator

I've been testing this too (on a virtual machine, rather than my main PC). I'm so glad that the start menu has returned - it's far better suited to desktops and is much faster for me to use.

I managed to install it without using an MS account, but only by using a rather convoluted method - they really don't want users to do this it seems. It does however mean I need to sign in to any app store products individually though.

So far so good, much better than Windows 8, that's for sure :).

Ian, Nov 9, 2014
Ask a Question