Issues with storage

Discussion in 'Android' started by sparkster, Sep 27, 2015.

1. sparkster

sparkster

This is something which has been driving me crazy ever since I started using Android. The problem is that all Android devices seem to be set by default to download apps to the internal storage of the device. There doesn't seem to be any way of changing this and many devices only have a small amount of internal memory. So, despite having a 32-GB SD card, I still cannot download large apps because the device won't download them because they won't fit on the internal storage so I can't even download a large app and then move it to the SD card because I don't have enough room on the internal storage to download it in the first place! This is a serious problem that every Android user I know has. You would think Google would have thought of this but no, it's been the same ever since Android was invented and it's still the same today. Why is Android so stupid in this respect?

sparkster, Sep 27, 2015
    Diane Lane likes this.
  2. sparkster

Sefie

Now that you mention it, yeah... I thought this problem would be solved if i got an Android phone with larger storage space, but after reading your post I feel a bit hopeless :( It's sad my storage issues won't be solved by getting a phone with more storage space :( I'm already having the hardest time because the phone I was given only has 8GB, I am grateful for the gift, but sometimes i feel like I am juggling with the space!

Sefie, Sep 27, 2015
    Diane Lane likes this.
  3. sparkster

Diane Lane

Ugh, I can relate. I'm dealing with the same exact issue. I keep having to move apps over to the storage card, and finally downloaded the AppMgr III to help me with the process. It won't solve the issue you're talking about, but it is helpful in telling you which apps can easily be moved, and which are best to keep in the device storage instead. It also enables me to move several at a time, rather than having to do it individually.

Diane Lane, Sep 27, 2015
  4. sparkster

IcyBC

This was the exact problem I had when I was using my Samsun Exhibit. For the longest time, I couldn't understand why certain things won't work either though I have a large SD card capacity. Over the years, I thought that this should have been fixed, but I guess not. Sorry to hear this, guys!

IcyBC, Sep 28, 2015
  5. sparkster

Sefie

@Diane Lane Awesome app recommendation! I am definitely going to try it... I managed to free 535 mb safe :p So, yes, I am going to use that wisely! You know what drives me nuts? Those stupid apps that came with the phone!! I don't need an app to be able to write or read Chinese! I don't even speak the language! or even use my mobile along with a printer... grrr! I wish I could remove those!

Sefie, Sep 28, 2015
  6. sparkster

sparkster

You would think that Google would have done something about this by now, given how long Android has been around and considering how often they update it. So, essentially, the only way to download an 8-GB app is to have 8-GB of internal memory spare? It's kind of ridiculous.

sparkster, Oct 8, 2015
  7. sparkster

CreoleQueen777

"Well what do ya know" I thought I was only person who goes through this with every android I've bought. I think it's a marketing gimmick to get users of older devices to either upgrade or buy a new phone. Because all the apps download internally and their updates really eat up space. I really wish they would cut it out with all that.

CreoleQueen777, Nov 19, 2015
    Ishmael likes this.
  8. sparkster

Ishmael

This is my exact feeling on the matter. I think it's done on purpose so you'll buy a better and more expensive phone out of frustration. It happens so much that they have to know about this, the manufacturer I mean.

Ishmael, Nov 30, 2015
    CreoleQueen777 likes this.
  9. sparkster

shadejb

Actually the issue is rectified recent with the new Android updates. Lollipop (Android 5.0) introduce a new API so that apps can now have permission to write directly onto SD cards. In theory, you can move app data and install directories to your SD card now. Of course, it is up to the developers to update their apps to take advantage of this method, and up to hardware company to actually include SD card in their phone these days.

shadejb, Dec 9, 2015
  10. sparkster

ProNine

I think one of the main problems with storage is that many name brand phones come loaded with a ton of bloatware. The best approach would be to root the phone and delete those apps, or install a fresh vanilla copy of Android for their phone.

ProNine, Dec 26, 2015
  11. sparkster

baldyhead

I've found that reinstalling everything from scratch is your best bet. I've never been able to keep up with updates with all the crud that comes preinstalled on a phone and it drives me crazy. I tend to try and root the phone like ProNine said and start from scratch. Same principle with buying a PC with Windows preinstalled. You have to get rid of the junk to get it to run right.

baldyhead, Dec 28, 2015
  12. sparkster

vinaya

The first Andriod phone I ever have had just 250 MB internal space. I had 8 GB external storage, but when I was installing apps,my phone rejected installation on the basis of storage, I could not install apps even if I chose memory card as a the storing device. I was tired of this phone and soon disposed. The next Andriod phone I had was Samsung Grand, it had 4 GB internal storage.

vinaya, Jan 22, 2016
Ask a Question