Is It Possible?

Discussion in 'Storage' started by IcyBC, Sep 24, 2015.

1. IcyBC

IcyBC

Just thought I would throw this question out there: Is there a way to convert an external portable Window hard drive to use with a MacBook? I have so many photos and file on that portable hard drive but no way to get to them since I am now using the MacBook.

Currently, I am saving money to take my HP laptop in for repair, and I have no way of getting to those file on the portable hard drive. So is it possible? If I could do convert this, then I don't want to spend the money fixing my HP.

IcyBC, Sep 24, 2015
  2. IcyBC

something back

something back, Sep 24, 2015
  3. IcyBC

IcyBC

Thank you @something back ! I know you will come to my rescue :) Anyway, the reason why I asked is that when I bought this portable hard drive, it said right on the box that it is for Window only, and there are other that said for Mac only. I just don't want to ruin my Mac before checking it out.

IcyBC, Sep 25, 2015
  4. IcyBC

something back

It would be better for you to wait for a member that has mac knowledge

Doing a little more research it seems that it will read the drive but

will not write to it until you reformat the drive using the mac formatter

you will loose all the information upon formatting

something back, Sep 25, 2015
    IcyBC likes this.
  5. IcyBC

Diane Lane

You'd think by now there would be some sort of way to convert the data. I'm sure you're not the first person to switch systems, and this issue has to have arisen in the past. If not, perhaps someone should start working on one, as it might be a moneymaker.

Diane Lane, Sep 27, 2015
    IcyBC likes this.
  6. IcyBC

Sefie

I agree with, @Diane Lane, as far as I know there is no sure way to do this, one would think someone would have come up with something targeted to people with the same issue, sadly it seems you are a bit on your own with this one. Macs are kinda tricky and don't tend to cooperate well with anything that wasn't made by Apple.

Sefie, Sep 27, 2015
    IcyBC likes this.
  7. IcyBC

IcyBC

@Diane Lane and @Sefie Apple is monopolizing the market, and they will make things as hard as they can to collect the money. The funny thing is though: thumb drive/flash drive works on both OS.

IcyBC, Sep 28, 2015
    Diane Lane likes this.
  8. IcyBC

Diane Lane

Can you use a thumb/flash drive for both OS and Windows? I mean, can someone store both types of files/information on the same drive? I don't know if you'll know the answer, but hopefully someone will. I would think we're to the point where it's known there are some people who prefer OS/Mac, and others prefer non-Apple products. There's enough room in the market for both, and it would be nice if somehow it were possible to convert files to/from in both directions, because there are people who switch over after years of using one type of system, and it's a shame if all that work/content has to be lost, or the person has to maintain the other type of system simply for their past documents.

Diane Lane, Oct 1, 2015
  9. IcyBC

IcyBC

@Diane Lane Yes, I use the same flash drive on both Window and MacBook for storing the latest photos that I took. It worked on both when my Window was still functioning. I think I will just get a new larger storage on the thumb/flash drive for my MacBook now. It is cheaper too :)

IcyBC, Oct 1, 2015
Ask a Question