Is Google Chrome laptop same as a regular laptop?

Discussion in 'Laptop General Discussion' started by pandandesign, Feb 3, 2014.

1. pandandesign

pandandesign

I have heard a lot of Google Chrome laptops lately, which they are not as popular as the netbook back in the day. I wonder what's Google Chrome laptop because I have heard you can't download Windows software on it because it's made by Google. What's the difference between the Google Chrome laptop vs the regular laptop? Does the Google Chrome laptop can be used like a Windows laptop or something? I would like to know because I plan on getting one soon.

pandandesign, Feb 3, 2014
  2. pandandesign

elPaulio Moderator

elPaulio, Feb 3, 2014
  3. pandandesign

Brian8gbSSDLinux

Google chrome Books also have limited hard drive space -typically 16Gb - because they are CLOUD devices...

Most everything you do will be done on line... l
    ike using Google Docs and storing 'saved' files on Google Drive.
    or uploading Photos and Videos to ONLINE websites so you can edit/touch them up.

it also means that they need to be used WITH WiFi or Broadband - VERY limited if trying to use when sat on a hill top out in the Countryside. where there is no connection.

Brian8gbSSDLinux, Feb 3, 2014
  4. pandandesign

asaaaron

It's a Netbook, so all of its performance and features are primarily web-based. All files are stored on the web and all programs are hosted from the web. It's cloud computing. It won't be of much use to you if you're ever not connected to the internet. It's pretty cool when you are, though.

asaaaron, Feb 10, 2014
  5. pandandesign

jordanmc97

They're not the same no, A chrome book uses Google's own OS, so cannot use windows, it's also a netbook, so has a much smaller screen and is designed for the web, rather than word processing, gaming etc.

Another issue with the Chromebook, which is a weak point for me, is that all the files you own are supposed to be stored on their Cloud, rather than a HDD or SSD that Laptops have, they do have a SSD, though this for main files and their Operating System. This means all your files are in the hands of Google, I don't know about you, but I'd like some privacy with files that belong to me.

In my Opinion, I'd go with the Laptop, you will be disappointing, should you decide you wan't to use a computer for anything other than web based situations.

jordanmc97, Feb 19, 2014
  6. pandandesign

bobthemuffinman

Aside from the obvious OS, where Chrome OS is used instead of Windows. Some chromebooks have a normal, regular laptop, Intel Core series processors. While some others have a processor that is usually found in a smartphone or tablet.

bobthemuffinman, Feb 20, 2014
  7. pandandesign

Sefie

The Google Chrome laptops are a waste of money in my opinion - too many limitations. I really wonder why would anyone ever want to buy something like that?

Sefie, Feb 23, 2014
  8. pandandesign

Brian8gbSSDLinux

The reason why people buy the Google Chromebook is because they only use it for connecting to the Internet; they want something that will start FAST, connect EASILY, is NOT slowed down with USELES programs they are unlikely to use, is COMFORTABLE to CARRY AROUND and has a REASONABLE BATTERY LIFE.

Maybe they also have a Desktop or a larger Laptop at home for when they want to use the full functions of a Computer. Like I use my HSPA Netbook for when I'm Travelling. Small, Light and Quick to boot into (Linux).

Cheers...

Brian8gbSSDLinux, Feb 23, 2014
  9. pandandesign

OhioTom76

A Chromebook is more or less like a glorified Android tablet with a keyboard (though I don't think they've completely merged Android and Chrome OS yet).

As others have noted, it's more heavily cloud based. That may or may not be convenient for you. Personally I would hate it as my primary computer. Right now I have nearly 2/3 of my 1TB drive full. A lot of that is my Photography, as well as source files for all my graphical projects, video projects, and other stuff. I cannot be waiting around all day to access these files through the "cloud" - especially when many of them are over a GB in size. In addition, many ISPs impose monthly caps of 250GB per month in transfers, beyond which they start charging you even more.

Also, you should be aware that the early Chrome Books have not been highly regarded in terms of usefulness. Aside from some of the more expensive models, I think may people have looked at them in hindsight as throwaway devices not quite ready for prime time.

OhioTom76, Feb 24, 2014
  10. pandandesign

mikelouis

Google Chrome is way better than any other browser. The only competitor is Mozilla even though it is great, Chrome has way better extensions and addons that can help you to do all your tasks.

mikelouis, Mar 2, 2014
    raima55 and Charles Franklin like this.
  11. pandandesign

Charles Franklin

Thank you mikelouis and everyone in this thread for your replies! I had an Acer 5250 which went down (or rather started to delete anything I type and was unable to remain on a page). I am purchasing a Chromebook as a temporary laptop, while I save for another one (I'm a freelancer!).

Any other suggestions, comments, etc. are welcomed!

Charles Franklin, Mar 4, 2014
  12. pandandesign

Charles Franklin

I actually got the laptop and so far it has been working great! I am still a little angry that I can't really download anything (although in one aspect that is good!), but the Chromebook has allowed me to do what I need to do on the Internet.

Charles Franklin, Mar 13, 2014
  13. pandandesign

Brian8gbSSDLinux

I'm not sure what you mean by 'Download anything'...

If it is Windows .exe or .zip type files... that is because they are not compatible with the Google book.

If it is adding things like your own documents/photos - then it is probably because you are not set up to 'WORK OFFLINE' - here is a link to 'How to work Offline' - in case this is the problem..

http://www.howtogeek.com/178519/how-to-work-offline-on-a-chromebook/

Hope this solves your problem

Brian8gbSSDLinux, Mar 13, 2014
    Charles Franklin likes this.
  14. pandandesign

Charles Franklin

Thanks! I was referring to .exe and .zip files. Most of the time it is not a pain, except when it comes to some of the freelancing work I do (oDesk). Odesk uses a time tracking tool with an exe file, which allows a client to monitor the screen while you work.That is often a preference for the kinds of clients I work for.

Other than that, the Chromebook has been fast, responsive, and easy to use!

I do appreciate the offline option. I didn't even know that existed!

15. pandandesign

JPeg

I purchased a Samsung Google Chrome Book and wanted it to work because of the size and convenience but after trying it out, I felt too limited by the fact that its really only useful for internet work. I ended up purchasing a cheep ASUS laptop instead and am much happier with it.

JPeg, Mar 13, 2014
  16. pandandesign

Charles Franklin

Interesting point, Jpeg. As I may have mentioned before, I am using the Chrome Book temporarily until I get another laptop. I had not considered an ASUS laptop (I don't think), so that will definitely be something I check into! Thanks!

17. pandandesign

Patrick Shah

The google chrome laptop is actually called the chrome book. A netbook that is good for those who love the Android OS or just simply someone who only requires the basic use of a laptop.
    Accessing the internet is quick and the HP Chromebook 14 requires only 7 seconds. You can get it as low as $250. It can be a gift to your parents who may not be inclined with those fancy gadgets.
    Obviously you cant access Windows based programs or let alone apple. So Gmail, Google Chrome and Hangouts is something that should attract consumers.

Patrick Shah, Mar 30, 2014
  18. pandandesign

babyleans

buying a windows netbook is so much better. a chrome book is loaded with google software so no you cant install windows. but if you're an android kind of guy then you can get it. just take into account what your needs are.

babyleans, Apr 8, 2014
  19. pandandesign

mjhunter23

To my knowledge the Chromebook (which is what I believe you are referring to) is a notebook which doesn't have a hard drive because all its memory comes from a cloud server. In my opinion it's not worth your money as it seems like a glorified smartphone and without an internet connection it's useless.

mjhunter23, Apr 9, 2014
  20. pandandesign

Brian8gbSSDLinux

The Chrome book DOES have a 'small' hard drive (an SSD, in fact)...
    which is one of the main reasons it is FAST... Using Google Drive one CAN download files onto the hard drive and work off-line... So a lot of the time an internet connection is not essential.

Brian8gbSSDLinux, Apr 10, 2014
Ask a Question