Is a macbook worth the money?

Discussion in 'Which Laptop should I buy?' started by Ingrid Cazala, May 19, 2015.

1. Ingrid Cazala

Ingrid Cazala

I am looking to buy a new laptop and I am wondering if the macbook air and/or the macbook pro is worth the money? I am trying to start making and editing videos and such along with just regular internet needs and presentations for college. I currently have a HP pavillion laptop which is good but I'm always afraid to download things from the internet in case it brings virus' with it. The last laptop I had ended up having a lot of virus' because by the end I was downloading anything and everything. I hear its really difficult to get virus' on macbooks which is something that intrigues me.

However for such a large cost I would like to know :
    A) Is it worth the money
    B) The pro or the Air?

Ingrid Cazala, May 19, 2015
  2. Ingrid Cazala

Sefie

I think it's up to you, I've a friend who has a mac and he has had quite a bit troubles with it. But they come with very good things, specially what you mentioned about the viruses. But it's of my understanding that there indeed are mac virus, but they are not so common. A mac can still infected, but not many mac virus out there. Mostly because the vast majority of the world doesn't use a mac, so the malicious users focus on viruses that can infect both average laptops and PCs.

If it was me I'd pick the air :) The new pro is also good, but the price is a little too high given the fact it comes with no quad core.

Sefie, May 24, 2015
  3. Ingrid Cazala

superbobby

I think a good anti-virus software and a cheaper laptop is a better alternative. That is just my opinion because I'm a Mac hater.

superbobby, May 31, 2015
  4. Ingrid Cazala

Lun

Macs are overpriced. In case you're not too tech savvy though, it might be better for you. An Anti-virus and a lot of common sense and caution would make your laptop virus-free. If you don't want to go through the trouble though, pick the Mac if you can afford it, but it's just a waste of money in my opinion.

If you just need something for college and light video editing like you said, then there are much much cheaper alternatives out there.

Lun, Jun 6, 2015
  5. Ingrid Cazala

Doreen Lefao

Macs is a good brand,I have it myself. It is the most helpful tool for my college although the price is expensive but it a has better futures. It concept is not hard as a window computer. Windows computer is hard to navigate through and to find files. Mac laptop gives you that option to search for files and document easier. My computer doesn't even have any virus because it true that is hard to get virus on it.
    use mac pro on amazon cost around 450-650 dollar.
    new mac pro cost around 800-1000 dollar

Doreen Lefao, Jul 3, 2015
  6. Ingrid Cazala

ryanch94

They're well built laptops but if you're tech savvy in any way you'd be able to find a much better performing laptop at a similar price. You also have to remember that Macs can't run windows apps unless you virtualise or use bootcamp to dual boot Windows and OS X.

ryanch94, Jul 6, 2015
  7. Ingrid Cazala

IcyBC

I am a recent converse from Window to Mac, and I love my MacBook Air. It sure is expensive and in the end though, it is worth the money. The majority of my family members are Apple users, some has their desktop and laptop for over 7 years without any problem or viruses. Some are still using their iPhone 4, again with no problem.

I used to not like Apple products because of their prices, and my MacBook Air is a present from my brother as I do lots of work online. I don't download anything at all! It is up to you though, whatever you are comfortable to spend or use.

IcyBC, Jul 18, 2015
  8. Ingrid Cazala

Lun

My sister has been using an LG laptop that cost $500 and came with Vista since 2007 and the only problem she faced was malware that I easily removed for her with a harddrive format and installing windows 7 for her. Again, it depends on how careful you are. That old LG with Core 2 Duo with 4 GB RAM may be getting a little old now as programs and software get more demanding, but for her regular usage, it's still doing awesome, believe it or not. So in my opinion, age and durability don't really justify that price either.

Lun, Jul 19, 2015
  9. Ingrid Cazala

IcyBC

You are right @Lun it depends on personal usage and how careful you are when online. I don't download anything so my last laptop which is the HP lasted me 7 years but at the end I had problem with the heating of the laptop.

In any case, it is really up to personal's preferences and life style.

IcyBC, Jul 20, 2015
  10. Ingrid Cazala

diligentworker

The price tag for the Mac is unreasonable if you ask me. In my opinion and from my experience, the average computer will last long and do well if you have a reliable antivirus program in place and if you take time to optimize it weekly.

diligentworker, Dec 13, 2015
  11. Ingrid Cazala

typist88

There are likely pro's and con's either way. Money wise, the MAC option is a con as it costs more. It sounds like you need to add more antivirus or anti-malware programs and do more frequent scans. I've had a few major issues over the years with bugs and other strange computer problems but I did manage to figure them all out with various free anti-malware programs. That being said, Mac is a beautifully designed platform with lots of fun features and programs. So it's a matter of deciding if you want to spend more money and save time with the Mac or just go the cheaper route.

typist88, Dec 20, 2015
  12. Ingrid Cazala

KimmyMarkks

I have a few friends who have Macs and have had them for many years. They love them. I find the longest my PC laptops last are about 5 years (and that is pushing it!). If you can buy it I would definitely recommend getting one.

KimmyMarkks, Dec 21, 2015
Ask a Question