iAtkos v5i Install and Issues Full guide Now With 10.5.6

Discussion in 'MacOS' started by rory, Dec 4, 2008.

1. rory

Martin

Re: iAtkos v5i Install and Issues Full guide now complete

Just wanted to share some experience acquired with iATKOS v4i and v5i:

Bluetooth does not work at all in v5i. It was working perfectly with v4i, but is totally broken in v5i. The bluetooth thing in the menu bar says 'Bluetooth not available'. Furthermore, the BluedServer process keeps on crashing and being restarted by the system, with a CrashReport process run between each attempt. This takes roughly 50% of the CPU, slowing down the AA1 dramatically.
    I tried all 9.5 kernels of v5i but none of them seemed to work with bluetooth.

Another thing I noticed and it may be related to bluetooth, is the fact that some (if not all) USB devices behave strangely when plugged: it is like they were plugged twice. This does not seem to have major negative impacts, but I do see strange things like my 3G dongle that creates 2 modem interfaces...

I reverted back to iATKOS v4i 9.2 Toh + Speedstep kernel, and it fixed bluetooth, but not the weird USB behavior.

Anyone experienced/fixed the bluetooth issue?

Martin, Dec 15, 2008
  2. rory

Lexcorp

I have a Kensington USB Bluetooth dongle and works 100% in iAtkos 5. I use it whit my N95 principally and is ok. An a ZTE MF 620 USB 3G Modem and works great with the OSX drivers and Connection Manager.

Lexcorp, Dec 15, 2008
  3. rory

nocturne1

Noticed another strange thing - it appears that there's no way to fully mute the audio. Volume all the way down still plays at a VERY low level, and the Fn-F8 doesn't work.

nocturne1, Dec 16, 2008
  4. rory

rory

I found that too the other day. fn and down arrow lower it much more dramatically than the os x volume control, and zero on that is mute for me
    Rory

rory, Dec 16, 2008
  5. rory

nocturne1

Still not fully muted for me that way - You can tell that it's not fully off by playing something in VLC, and adjusting the volume in that app. I can work around it though, at least until apple makes a netbook ;)

First time using the headphone jack today - damn that thing's noisy! So much background hiss!

nocturne1, Dec 16, 2008
  6. rory

rory

Bring on January and MacWorld.
    There we will surely get an apple netbook. And I will be jumping ship to my first real mac...
    Well I can only hope I suppose. £400 with dual core atom and its mine :)
    Rory

rory, Dec 16, 2008
  7. rory

anvil

confirmed, working, I too have Dell Wifi, and my internal bluetooth adapter worked after upgrade. Great Job and thx for packaging all the kext's in a nice bundle.

anvil, Dec 16, 2008
  8. rory

estnyc

Install from a USB Flash Stick?

I downloaded the iAtkos v5i ISO from one of the usual places.

I have the AAO with 1GB RAM, XP and 120GB HDD.

I was hoping to use my 8GB Kingston Data Traveller USB flash drive to install iAtkos, as I don't have a USB DVD drive, and don't want to get one.

In order to actually get v5i on the stick, I had to burn the ISO to a DVD-R, then use Disk Utility to restore from the DVD to the stick. Told Disk Utility to erase the drive before installing.

Took the stick, put in one of my AAO's USB ports, started up the AAO, hit f12, selected the Kingston stick to boot from.

Hit enter, and saw a brief error message about something or other not being valid on the stick, then it booted up into XP from the hard drive.

I can't get it to boot from the stick.

Is there some obviously dumb error I should look for? Is this impossible to do from a USB stick?

What if I installed v5i on a 2.5" USB HDD? Would that work more readily?

Thanks in advance.

E

estnyc, Dec 16, 2008
  9. rory

berzerkus

Long time reader, first time poster. :)

Anyhow, one simple question. The zip for the kext's is password protected, and I've read through the initial post twice and cannot find the password. Could someone share it with me please. Or am I just slow?

berzerkus, Dec 16, 2008
  10. rory

rory

Just downloaded on windows, and no password
    And definitely no password on OS X because safari extracts it automatically.
    Try downloading on your iAtkos setup directly and youll have no problems
    Rory

rory, Dec 16, 2008
  11. rory

berzerkus

guess I never thought to try that, will do so on iAtkos and see how it goes.

*edit: works great from within osX. Guess it's something to do with the built-in windows decompression or just a bug with my system. All good now though.

berzerkus, Dec 16, 2008
  12. rory

mrplant

hi just wondering if any brave soul has tried rorys guide to update from a working 10.5.5 to 10.5.6 (WITH the voodoo kernel installed)..
    Does it work???

mrplant, Dec 17, 2008
  13. rory

rory

I tried with Voodoo (That was when I first tried it) and I couldn't get PS/2 to work. And I had random kernel panics, but that could also have been caused by fail PS/2. Then I fully reinstalled with Vanilla and got the new PS/2 for 10.5.6 from here which works, but no chance to test with voodoo so far. I might try it later on today.
    Rory

rory, Dec 17, 2008
  14. rory

diablonet

I updated to 10.5.6 with Voodoo kernel, just replaced System.kext for version matching, I had no troubles so far...

diablonet, Dec 17, 2008
  15. rory

mac87

Well i am back in vanilla kernel and "about mac" issue is fixed.

So voodoo is behind that and remember that about mac with voodoo shows intel core 2.1 gh

That means that my cpu was overclocked with voodoo. I wonder ...is that why so many kernel panics as well. Sometimes my AO didnt start at all after some of these panics. I had to try again and again to see the bios screen.

DANGER!!!
    People with voodoo please check cpu speed. Check "about this mac" for a start.

PS: Vanilla also fixed my usb mess, where i had to plug the usb devices at start up or to use kexthelper for automount)

mac87, Dec 17, 2008
  16. rory

rory

I don't think "About This Mac" is a real indicator of CPU speed. Much like windows wil show a Processor's speed as it's default in system properties.
    Rory

rory, Dec 17, 2008
  17. rory

Scooter

Hello.

First off - thanks to everyone who contributed to this guide. I honestly don't think I could have gotten even close a working Acer One without this guide!!

I had everything working (except wifi) without any glitches whatsoever.

I just took the 10.5.6 [I have the Voodoo Kernel] update because I found that MobileMe stopped working. Taking the update fixed the MobileMe problem - but now my keyboard and mouse won't work.

I should mention that after taking the 10.5.6 update I only had 800X600 resolution after reboot - so I just reinstalled the kext's from PART1 of Diablo's Kexts. After reboot everything worked fine once again.

Can someone point me in the right direction to the correct keyboard and mouse kext?

Thanks in advance.

Scooter

Scooter, Dec 18, 2008
  18. rory

smacman

Have you tried this?

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=8185

My mobileme has stopped working on 10.5.5 as well. Can you confirm that it is all fine again on 10.5.6? Very strange....

smacman, Dec 18, 2008
  19. rory

Scooter

Thanks once again Rory. The "10.5.6 Ready" kext did the trick. My Acer is fully functional again.

MobileMe works again so I'm assuming that 10.5.6 is needed to keep MobileMe going.

I have a 24" iMac - the Acer is for my wife as a Chistmas present. I want to make sure there are no dissapointments on Christmas morning - so I've been testing the Acer for the past few nights. Works great! So great that I'm probably going to pick one up for myself!

Kelly

Scooter, Dec 18, 2008
  20. rory

carlisle_united

Ok...

Bought my A150 about 5 hours ago and by now im starting to get alittle irritaded.
    The first thing I did was to instal OSX since im no huge fan of Win, everything runs smooth I follow all the steps in the guide but after it installs
    it gett this boot0:error, I tried do understand why and what it is but must edmit... im lost.
    I have never installed OSX like this and starting do regret that I sold my MBP...

Now what shall I do... I have win installed on a partion but I can not acces it.
    So if any one have really simpel explenation how to do please tell me... Im geting desperate here.

I have reinstalled OSX but still... boot0:error

carlisle_united, Dec 18, 2008
Ask a Question