iAtkos v5i Install and Issues Full guide Now With 10.5.6

Discussion in 'MacOS' started by rory, Dec 4, 2008.

1. rory

Major Kong

Re: iAtkos v5i Install and Issues Full guide now complete

One thing I have been wondering about: when you partition the drive you don't explicitly state which partition scheme to use. Since you just create a partition without specifying any options I assume that you go with the defaults, i.e. GUID Partition Table. Is this correct?

Major Kong, Dec 5, 2008
  2. rory

Major Kong

This is really weird: I followed your guide but I end up with a machine that boots for one or two seconds of white-screen-with-apple and then it reboots. Just like that. I have tried with "-v" but the kernel output flashes past too fast for me and then the screen goes black and the machine reboots.

I tried to install v5i on my own at first and had this problem all the time. I then thought it was due to me being a total nincompoop or something and was delighted when I saw your guide. Now, that I have followed your guide to the mark, I am not so sure anymore.

Just what could be wrong?

I have BIOS version 3304 on an AAO 150 with 120GiB HD and an apple MacBook Pro Wifi card installed.

Major Kong, Dec 5, 2008
  3. rory

brgroup

Just finished basic install..Here's a couple of problem solving ideas:

Like other distros, default kernel is 9.5 Vanilla which won't work on a single core machine without using the cpus=1 flag at the Darwin prompt to get booted. You can then add the string the com.apple.boot.apple.plist under "Kernel Flags" Use OSX86 tools included in Rory's Kext Pack..This is the reason for the reboot loop or Kernel Panic at startup. If you don't choose anything in the kernels section it will default to vanilla..Use a custom kernel if you don't want to be locked into 1 cpu..voodoo will let you run the cpus=2 flag but I have no idea what the performance is like..

If you are Dual-Booting with Windows or plan to add a windows partition later use MBR partition table..Get Mac Drive as well

Be sure to turn Sleep off in system preferences, or you'll get a crash or reboot when it automatically tries to sleep after 15 minutes.

Thanks Rory for your tutorial..

brgroup, Dec 5, 2008
  4. rory

chomp

I've followed the instructions to the letter and I'm just getting a Boot0: error when it restarts

I've had a butchers around the forum and while it appears that I need to cpus:1 to get it to start (as per one of the threads above this) but I can't seem to work out how to enter this command at this prompt.

I can boot up from the DVD, and then get to a prompt where I can enter this command but when i do I get told to hold the power down and restart (which i get repeatedly)

Can anyone offer any advice? I'm going to just wipe and reinstall later today and see if that makes a difference, but if anyone can adivse in the meantime of how I can fix this I'd greatly appreciate it

chomp, Dec 5, 2008
  5. rory

rory

Maybe I accidentally chose an alternate kernel but I can't say that's likely.
    With partition scheme (Thanks for mentioning it) I just totally forgot about it so it must be GPT.
    Hmm. Any way to see what kernel I have everybody?
    Finally, make sure you have WLAN turned on if youre overwriting another OS. I made this mistake and now I can't turn it on. Final nail in the coffin that is dual booting windows (I wanted Leopard exclusively). Unless somebody knows how to turn it os. I have seen instructions elswhere for windows 7 where this prob has occurred but never heard of it here.

Will update guide with Partition type and cpus=1
    Rory

rory, Dec 5, 2008
  6. rory

rory

press a key (eg space) while its on the Darwin screen counting down.
    then type
    cpus=1
    and press enter
    Rory

rory, Dec 5, 2008
  7. rory

chomp

I've made progress :)

having been left in a position where darwin appeared to not want to appear (hence not being able to run the cpus=1 command) I've now got it so that I can boot using this command.

However I'm unable to put it into 1200 x 600 resolution, although I've sucessfully installed all kexts and utilities from the Aspire Utility Pack. Insomniax gives me an error asking me to install it to a location I have permission to write to (which is odd)

chomp, Dec 5, 2008
  8. rory

Lexcorp

First, sorry about my english.
    Second, i solve the cpus=1 problem at boot.

When you install iatkos, select kernel = Voodoo in customize. And follow all other Rory's instructions. I do this and osx is running cool on my AA1, with HT ok. And the boot don't need the cpus=1 flag. Try.

But i have another question. What about the battery icon? Where is? How i can activate? Thanks.

Lexcorp, Dec 5, 2008
  9. rory

rory

I knew I missed some kexts from the pack
    Uploading updated pack with battery kexts
    Updating guide
    rory

rory, Dec 5, 2008
  10. rory

Lexcorp

Thank Rory. The battery icon works greats. And now, the icon say to me the battery remainnig in time and when the AA1 is plugged, say to me the time remainning to full charged battery.

Lexcorp, Dec 5, 2008
  11. rory

nocturne1

Thanks to Rory's updated files, and Lexcorp's mention to use the voodoo kernel, things are looking pretty good so far. Rather than messing with the still somewhat flaky internal wireless, I might just crack open my case tomorrow and throw that 1390 card in instead.

nocturne1, Dec 6, 2008
  12. rory

xilocex

Just for everyone's information speedstep does still work with Rory's iAtkos v.5i install method but you must have an iAtkos v.4 disc to get it working or a Speedstep v1 not v2 installer.

To get speedstep and your battery icon working do the following:

• First complete Rory's iAtkos v.5i install guide.
      Reboot and startup, F12 select external optical drive, off of your iAtkos v.4 disc.
      Once the installer finishes loading page through the installer until you reach the customize button.
      Click the customize button and deselect all selected install items. At this point nothing should be selected.
      Finally dig down to Drivers>System>Intel Speedstep and set it to install.
      Run the installer and reboot and you should be good to go with both Speedstep and a working battery icon.

Note: If after doing the above Speedstep stops working, which happened to me once, then run a permissions repair and reboot.

xilocex, Dec 6, 2008
  13. rory

vriesfde

I read the following on Uphuck's release notes:
    - The major improvement on this 5i release is updating your running system using software updater just like real Macs. This is possible for Intel based chipsets.

Is software update possible using the install method described here? :?:

Thanks,
    Frans

vriesfde, Dec 6, 2008
  14. rory

mac87

Thanks rory for the guide

Only .... i can't fix the "About this Mac" issue.

Mine shows "cpu 2,1 GHz Intel core solo"

osx86 tools did not help too.

I wonder if this has a connection with the speedstep failure. It still doesn't work. Neither with the iatkos v4 speedstep and permissions repair.

I use the voodoo kernel cpus=2. Hyperthreating works.

Ps. I think that is better, so i do use the insomnia kext only (i download it from somewhere after search) not the insomniax that is in rory's package. So no insomnia icon, no application.

mac87, Dec 6, 2008
  15. rory

rory

I don't even know if you need any insomnia at all. That is if you setit up right so it never sleeps after a certain period of time. This is because there is no clamshelldisplay.kext
    But I don't want the hassle of finding out this isnt true at an important time so I just installed insomnia
    With the about thiss mac issue, mine is just broken because I tries to edit it with OSX86 tools, but was fine after I used the abut this mac thing from pauls pack (Its the one in my pack)
    Rory

rory, Dec 6, 2008
  16. rory

MacUser

Hello Rory,
    could you write what differences are betwen iAtkos 5 and boot 132 install? Of course instead of that one use orginal DVD. Could you do some test (Xbench, Geekbench)?

BTW I tested batt time with Superhai kext for speed step and with SS my AAO run only 2 min longer (796 MHz vs full cpu speed). So installing SS is probably only possibility not real need and benefit.

MacUser, Dec 6, 2008
  17. rory

jermzkill

someone test the mic with iChat ;( ... if you need me to I can video chat with you

jermzkill, Dec 6, 2008
  18. rory

rory

I dont have aretail DVD install so I can't do any benchark comparisons. Plus i now have a bunch of stuff installed too.
    So it is the same as tretail but with integrated patches i guess..
    Rory

rory, Dec 6, 2008
  19. rory

MacUser

MacUser, Dec 6, 2008
  20. rory

wsa2007

Thanks for the guide everything worked great. One thing my trackpad was working and just stopped??? any ideas. I used an external mouse now the trackpad doesnt work and I checked the setting in system prefs. Any help would be great thanks

wsa2007, Dec 7, 2008
Ask a Question