iAtkos v5i Install and Issues Full guide Now With 10.5.6

Discussion in 'MacOS' started by rory, Dec 4, 2008.

1. rory

rory

Preparation:
    1. Download the iso of iAtkos v5i from your favourite torrent site or rapidshare or wherever.
    2. Burn the iso using your favourite program. I would recommend a slow speed and using a DVD-RW incase it doesn't burn properly, then you don't waste a disc.
    3. If you are going to dual boot windows, install that first. Use some utility to make a partition to install OS X to. Doesnt have to be formatted as HFS +, but must be formatted in some way as the disc utility on the install disc cannot format free space.
    4. Get your external DVD drive plugges in, and your AAO plugged into the charger. Plug the USB DVD into the AAO.
    .5. Put the DVD in the drive and restart your AAO. press F12 while its got the prompt there to choose the DVD drive and select it and press enter. My AAO never realises there is a DVD drive attached if this happens to you, press F2 to go to BIOS while its booting, then press F10 to save and exit. Press enter for yes to save changes (you haven't made any so it doesn't matter) now it will reboot, and on pressing F12, you should be able to select the DVD drive.

Installation
    1. Your disc should now be booting. Youll be at a darwin screen saying press any key to install Mac OS X or press F8 to enter startup options. If you press nothing it will instaall automatically. I'm impatient so I always press something to make it
    start up.
    2. Should have the white screen with a grey apple logo for a while (4 minutes I would guess, doesnt matter if its longer or shorter, I'm estimating) then it comes to a screen saying "Click the button to continue" so click it :)
    3. Now should be a screen with the iatkos logo, a next button nd a taskbar at the top with a few options.
    4. On the top taskbar (if someone knows the real name tell me) click utilities and "Disc Utility"
    5. Dsc utility opens. Now, this is where it changes depending on yur setup. step 6a is for people only booting OS x, and step 6b is for people dual/triple/quad booting.
    6a. Select your hard drive, it should be the top one. Now there should be some tabs on the right hand side at the top. Click partition. Now click 1 partition. Name it something (Mine are always called "Macintosh HD". Now on the bottom
    right there is button called erase. click it, then click ok to the next prompt. it will erase it and mount it.
    6b. Select the partition you want to install to. There should be a tab on the top right called erase. Click it. Now put the format as "Mac OS X Extended (Journaled)". Name it something. Click erase and then ok. it will erase and mount.
    Alternatively, if you want to start over click partition then add the number of partitions you require. If you plan on dual booting windows, select options then Master Boot Record as the type. Windows can only boot from MBR partitions.
    7. Exit disc utility.
    8. Click next and then decide if you agree or disagree to the T&C's. if you disagree, then youve just wasted loads of time doing the above, if you agree, click agree and keep reading.
    9. Select the place you want to install to. Best way to know if there is a few options is by the name you called your partition.
    10. Now the important part. Customizing the install. DO NOT JUST CLICK INSTALL
    11. Customizing:
    Select the following:
    iAtkosV5i Main System
    Expand bootloaders
    Select "PC EFI V9"
    Expand X86Patches
    In Decrypters
    Select Apple Decrypt
    In SMBIOS Drivers
    Expand SMBIOS Enablers
    Select SMBIOS EFI
    Select Disabler.kext
    Select PS/2
    Expand Drivers
    Expand Network
    Select Realtek R100[0
    If you want HT on startup, select the voodooo kernel
    Speedstep isnt selected in my customizations because neither worked for me, and both required me to boot with "cpus=1" which was a waste of time if I didn't actually have speedstep
    These are the customizations I thoughtwould be good after a night out drinking and at 4AM (It's 4.30 and I'm still writing the guide for you) Feel free to change them, but I would definitly keep the Realtek R100 because its the best one and workd perfect, also saves installing it after youre done.
    12. Click Ok then Click install. Feel free to skip the disc check too if you like, I always do.
    13. It should install and reboot.
    It might screw up on first boot, and say Please press the power button to turn off your Mac. Just do it and reboot. It should work fine now.
    if it still doesn't boot, press a key while the timer is counting down, then type
    cpus=1 and press enter

What works and what doesn't on first boot? (Based on choosing my customizations)
    1. Ethernet
    2. VGA doesnt have full res or quartz gl
    3. WLAN Ill let you sort out, my dell 1390 works, no idea about the progres with onboard WLAN so don't ask.
    4. No battery icon.

Installing Everything
    Download "Rorys Aspire One Utility Pack" here http://rapidshare.com/files/173960657/R ... pdated.zip Link updated with PS2 kexts on 16th of December 08
    0. If you want 10.5.6, you may as well do it first as you need to install all the kexts after again anyway. Launch System update from the Apple Menu. Download all the updates and let it run and install. When it asks you to reboot click yes. Before it turns back on, plug in a USB keyboard and mouse as PS2 is now not working. When its done, open up my utility pack, and follow the instructions below, but install the kexts in the PS2 folder as well. Then you're done. I m currently on Vanilla kernel with no HT, and I'm not sure if Voodoo works with 10.5.6 un-patched. So if you're not on vanilla, please try at your own risk.
    1. Copy Kext helper to Applications/Utilities then drag it to the dock. (I just do this for ease of access, I can just drag kexts to the dock rather than looking for the app.)
    2. Open the "Kexts Folder"
    3. Open the "Intel GMA 950 Kexts" Folder and select all 3 kexts and drag them to kext helper
    4. Open the battery folder and drag the 2 kests to kext helper
    5. Put your password into kext helper, press install then ok on the prompt that says "Install looks to be fine. Cross fingers and reboot"
    6. Reboot
    7. Open up "Rorys Aspire One Utility Pack"
    8. Open "Kexts" then "ALC 268 Fix"
    9. Run installer 1, then install HDA Enabler.kext using Kext helper.
    10. Reboot
    11. Delete AppleAzaliaAudio.kext from the root of your drive, and AppleHDA from /System/Library/Extensions. Empty the trash. If it says something about AppleHDA is in use, just click continue and leave it.
    12. Reboot
    13. Open up "Rorys Aspire One Utility Pack" again....
    14. Open Kexts then "Audio Part 2"
    15. Install the 3 Kexts Using kext helper.
    16. Reboot.
    17. Open up "Rorys Aspire One Utility Pack" one final time. Run InsomniaX and "AboutThisMac". Copy OSX86 Tools to Utilities.
    18. Open up OSX86 Tools. Click Enable/Disable Quartz GL, and go through the steps enabling it.

You're done.
    You should now have:
    Fully functional standard install
    Hyperthreading on Vanilla Kernel (I assume it's Vanilla, as it isn't stated otherwise)
    Sound through Speakers and Headphones and Autoswitching between them.
    Internal Mic (There is static coming from the speakers when I turn the input volume up, but no real way for me to test it, if someone can confirm this I will update the post. Plus, there are 2 inputs detected, "Internal Speakers" and "Internal microphone" if anyoone can say the difference I would be glad to hear)
    Full 1024 x 600 Resolution and Quartz GL enabled.
    Time Machine works (Might not mean anything to you, but never worked for me before on any install)

Whats not working:
    I thought sleep was working before I installed the grahics drivers, but it wasnt really. It turned the HDD and fans off, and the screen when you close the lid, no HDD activity according to the light, but it still lost charge at the same rate as when it was on. So it was a kindof fake sleep. Definitely not wrking now.
    The other standard things:
    Cardreaders will work slightly if you get the drivers here viewtopic.php?f=14&t=6808 (if they become more stable, I will add them to my package)
    Onboard WLAN supposedly works for some, so try out the method in the thread here http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=138351
    Line in I am unsure of as I said above..
    Speedstep. (See below)

Thanks to xilocex fr this speedstep fix

Thats it, have fun installing...
    Rory

rory, Dec 4, 2008
  2. rory

nocturne1

Re: iAtkos v5i Install and Issues (Read the cliffhanger first)

Wow, great work. Hopefully I'll have a fun time getting this thing up and working tomorrow night :)

nocturne1, Dec 4, 2008
  3. rory

LunaTech

Wow! this is great. i will install v5i as soon as the possible. thanks for the guide. Hope it will work on my aspire too!

LunaTech, Dec 4, 2008
  4. rory

vaalrus

just some observations...

Full res comes back if you install the AppleIntelFrameBuffer.kext from Paul's pack, but sleep then kernal panics.

vaalrus, Dec 4, 2008
  5. rory

rory

Hm,, I'm trying some stuff now, all drvers i have tried have the same problem, of sleep now not working. which leads me to believe that its a problem possibly like the one with Kalyway and USB, where you have mismatched something or other. Maybe the device ID's are wrong or something. I dont see how different official apple driver would screw stuff up.
    rory

rory, Dec 4, 2008
  6. rory

diablonet

I understood that this new version has the ability to load .kext from an external source /Extra/Extensions in this case, If load the old way(kext helper), then I can get full res video, audio, etc, but maybe those kexts will be lost during updates, also there is a post around there wich points voodoo kernel works faster than vanilla one at least on atom processors, so we can try that one.

diablonet, Dec 4, 2008
  7. rory

robotmaker

thanks alot ill have to DL the new file. O, and the top bar is the menu bar ( i think)

robotmaker, Dec 4, 2008
  8. rory

nocturne1

Yep, menu bar:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Menu_bar

nocturne1, Dec 4, 2008
  9. rory

nocturne1

Re: iAtkos v5i Install and Issues Full guide now complete

Wow, really cool, thanks for the update. Do we still need to do the "cpus=1" every boot, or only until your utility pack gets installed?

Will run through it all tonight, and let you know how it goes. I haven't installed my dell wireless card yet, so am gonna see if I can get the atheros card working with the other hack.

nocturne1, Dec 4, 2008
  10. rory

rory

No I just updated and removed the part saying boot with cpus=1 that was caused by speedstep and as the guide tells you not to install it now, I removed it. I never gained anything from speedstep, and I would rather have 2 virtual cores over a marginal battery saving.

Good luck with the Atheros card I hope you can get it to work.
    Rory

rory, Dec 4, 2008
  11. rory

nocturne1

I actually was able to get it working (with some caveats) after following your partial guide last night, and then the guide at http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php? ... 38351&st=0

When I would push the power button to try to sleep, wireless would stop working (and the unit wouldn't sleep). And I had to do a kismet scan to get it going again. But I'll see if anything improves with this new combination of things. And not certain if it stayed persistent after reboots.

I really don't know much about this stuff, as I'm less than a week into the whole AA1/OSX thing, but your efforts are truly appreciated!

nocturne1, Dec 4, 2008
  12. rory

rory

Its fine mate, I'm a Mod, I really should be doing these things.
    Plus, it's my first real contribution that was all my own work. It was just a matter of installing the stuff and finding the best drivers for everything through trial and error.
    The thanks are much appreciated though.
    Rory

rory, Dec 4, 2008
  13. rory

jermzkill

GREAT TUTORIAL THANKS!!! can someone tell me if the mic works when iChatting? ?

jermzkill, Dec 4, 2008
  14. rory

xspartany

So I installed it as per your most recent instructions and I still have to boot with the "cpus=1" flag. Do you have any ideas why this is happening? (I'm using a 120gig AA1)

xspartany, Dec 4, 2008
  15. rory

starsky

I would like to know this as well! Great job on the guide rory, I might have to try it soon. Hopefully it fixes my iDisk issues with v4.

starsky, Dec 4, 2008
  16. rory

rory

Used the exact customizations I said?
    so basically whats already selected, but add PS/2 and Realtek R1000?
    A different kernel and/or speedstep are the usual suspects in cpus=1
    Rory

rory, Dec 5, 2008
  17. rory

xspartany

That's exactly what I did, I just added ps/2 and r1000. I didn't touch the kernel section at all. I'll try reinstalling it again tonight and see what happens.

xspartany, Dec 5, 2008
  18. rory

nocturne1

Just did a clean install on mine as well - it needed the cpus=1 at the reboot after initial install.

nocturne1, Dec 5, 2008
  19. rory

jermzkill

Thanks, it'll worth while for me to update to v5.1 if the iChat mic works. Everything currently works that i NEED on my v4.1 setup, except of course the mic for iChat!!! Doesn't anyone on here use iChat, it's probably the best reason to have Mac on a PC in the first place...

jermzkill, Dec 5, 2008
  20. rory

nocturne1

Hmm....mine also seems to crash/reboot after a while of inactivity. Something's wrong...

nocturne1, Dec 5, 2008
Ask a Question