iAtkos v5 10.5.5 install guide including 10.5.6 update

Discussion in 'MacOS' started by diablonet, Dec 6, 2008.

1. diablonet

diablonet

This is an outdated guide, for the new one please visit viewtopic.php?f=14&t=11796&start=0

iAtkos v5 10.5.5 on Acer Aspire One
    by diablonet, based on SbM and rory, thanks for their original work!!
    6/Dec/08
    Mexico

As far now:
    Software Updates as real mac - Should Work, lets see after 10.5.6+ release.
    Wireless card work changing the Internal PCI-E with a DW1390 but in future it may work, -WIP- http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=138351
    Sound Input and output (with autoswitching) - WORK
    Full ISO Keyboard - WORK
    USB 2.0 - WORK
    Sleep - DO NOT WORK
    Shutdown and restart- WORK
    Card readers, Just SD - WIP - http://osxsdhci.sourceforge.net/
    Video card - WORK
    Battery recognition - WORK
    Webcam - WORK
    Wired Network - WORK
    HyperThreading (optional) - WORK

1.- Download iAtkos v5i from your favorite dowload site.
    2.- Burn it at low speed, use good media and verify after burn.
    3.- Insert DVD on External USB Drive.
    4.- Turn on aspire one and hit F12 key.
    5.- Boot from USB External DVD Drive.
    6.- Wait for boot process.
    7.- Click the button to continue, then "continue" and "Agree".
    8.- Click on utilities / Disk Utility.
    9.- Optional - Erase your actual data if you want to with right mouse click on partition then "Erase" and quit Disk Utility and run it again.
    10.- Click on your hard drive, then "Partition", Volume Scheme "1 Partition", Name it: "Macintosh HD" for example, Options "Master Boot Record", "Apply", "Partition", quit Disk Utility.
    11.- Select your disk then "Continue".
    12.- "Customize", select only "iATKOS v5i Main System", Bootloader "PC EFI V9", X86 Patches/Decrypters "AppleDecrypt", X86 Patches/SMBIOS drivers/SMBIOS enablers "SMBIOS-EFI", X86 Patches "PS/2", X86 Patches "Disabler.kext", Drivers/Network "Realtek R1000", "Done", "Install".
    13.- Optional - "Skip"
    14.- Wait for installation, it will restart when it finishes.
    15.- When setup finishes it will reboot, during Darwin boot type "cpus=1", otherwise it will restart. (Kernel panic)
    16.- Follow the required data. (Select ISO keyboard and set a password for your account).
    17.- Go to Terminal and run:
    sudo su
    (type user password)
    pico /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist
    (Write under Kernel flags, between string)
    cpus=1
    (Press CTRL+X Y Enter)
    18.- Download and extract Diablo's Kexts from http://www.diablo-air.net/diabloskexts.zip
    19.- Using "kext helper", install Kexts/Part1, dont reboot yet.
    20.- Delete /System/Library/SystemConfiguration/PowerManagement.bundle
    21.- Reboot.
    22.- Empty the trash
    23.- Run "ALC 268 Fix"
    24.- Using "kext helper", install Kexts/Part2, dont reboot yet.
    25.- Copy from Diablo's Kexts PowerManagement.bundle and paste it on /System/Library/SystemConfiguration/
    26.- Reboot
    27.- Delete AppleAzaliaAudio.kext from the root, and AppleHDA.kext from /System/Library/Extensions. Empty the trash. If it says something about AppleHDA is in use, just click continue and leave it.
    28.- Reboot
    29.- Using "kext helper", install Kexts/Part3, reboot.
    30.- Full ISO Keyboard fix:
    Copy it to /System/Library/Extensions/ApplePS2Controller.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ to replace the original one
    (right click on /System/Library/Extensions/ApplePS2Controller.kext "Show package content")
    BE CAREFUL: don't install it in /System/Extensions/ but INSIDE the ApplePS2Controller.kext you'll find there.
    Open Terminal and type:
    sudo su
    (type username password)
    chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/ApplePS2Controller.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ApplePS2Keyboard.kext
    chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/ApplePS2Controller.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ApplePS2Keyboard.kext
    rm /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

31.- Install Aboutthismac, InsomiaX (this will disable sleeps, run it on startup)
    32.- Run OSX86Tools and enable Quartz GL
    33.- Reboot
    34.- Run in terminal "diskutil repairPermissions /"
    35.- Enjoy!

-OPTIONAL- If you want to fully support your language, download and install the Extra langs from the retail Leopard disc, this can be installed once you have your system running...

UPDATE 1:
    The default kernel (Vanillla) does not support HyperThreading, if you change the default kernel by a custom one (Voodoo 9.5.0 Final 1.0) the HyperThreading feature works and the Atom CPU gain performance.

Test 1 .- HandBrake encoding on same conditions: Vanilla Kernel: 3min:56sec, Voodoo Kernel Final 1.0: 2min:41sec, thats ~32% improve!!

Test 2 .- Xbench: ~20% Improve!!
    Vanilla, CPU Test 25.43, GCD Loop 59.13, Floating Point Basic 18.47, vecLib FFT 17.44, Floating Point Library 34.62, Thread Test 35.21, Computation 25.80, Lock Contention 55.46.
    Voodoo, CPU Test 28.77, GCD Loop 61.38, Floating Point Basic 18.52, vecLib FFT 24.61, Floating Point Library 35.58, Thread Test 52.53, Computation 43.39, Lock Contention 66.54.

You can install custom kernel once your system is running, this is how:

1.- Download kernel here: http://code.google.com/p/xnu-dev/
    (http://xnu-dev.googlecode.com/files/Voo ... _Rev_A.dmg) or a newer revision based on 9.5.0
    2.- Go to Terminal and run:
    sudo su
    (type user password)
    pico /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist
    (Delete under Kernel flags, between string)
    cpus=1
    (Press CTRL+X Y Enter)
    3.- Install the kernel package.
    4.- Reboot.
    5.- Go to Terminal and run:
    sudo su
    (type user password)
    cd /
    chown root:wheel mach_kernel.voodoo
    chmod 644 mach_kernel.voodoo
    pico .hidden
    (Write: mach_kernel.voodoo)
    (Press CTRL+X Y Enter)
    killall Finder
    6.- Quit Terminal

UPDATE 2:
    10.5.6 Installation

1.- Backup the following files to your desktop
    /System/Library/Extensions/System.kext (only if you installed the Voodoo 9.5.0 based kernel)
    /System/Library/Extensions/seatbelt.kext (only if you installed the Voodoo 9.5.0 based kernel)
    /System/Library/PreferencePanes/Keyboard.prefPane
    2.- Go to Software Update and install 10.5.6 update and reboot when finish.
    3.- Connect a USB Keyboard and USB Mouse.
    4.- It will reboot by itself while booting, it is normal, dont panic!!
    5.- When you are back on the updated 10.5.6 OSX, download http://www.diablo-air.net/update2.zip
    6.- Replace the /System/Library/PreferencePanes/Keyboard.prefPane file with the one you have backed up.
    7.- Using "kext helper" install AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext from "update2.zip" (System.kext and seatbelt.kext should be installed as well if you have Voodoo 9.5.0 based kernel). You may have kernel panic on this point, reboot and do it again.
    8.- Reboot.
    9.- USB Keyboard and USB Mouse are no longer needed.
    10.- Follow steps 18 to 29 from this same guide.
    11.- You can delete "/Backup extensions" if you want.
    12.- Run in terminal "diskutil repairPermissions /"

UPDATE 3:
    Prevent kernel panic on system shutdown when AAO is running on battery mode (by SbM)

Kernel panic appears on shutdown (in battery mode) because the audio circuitry needs to be "woken up" just before shutdown. If you wake it up at boot time, it will go back to sleep afterwards and your One will crash on shutdown. Alas, there is no "Shutdown Items" panel in the Accounts prefpane, so we need to write a StartupItems script that'll go into /Library/StartupItems. In such a script, you can tell the system to perform whatever actions you want on startup, on shutdown or/and when you restart the computer. So all we need is a simple script, called "ShutdownSound".

I made a .zip file containing all you need to install this workaround on your One (including a shutdown "sound" with nothing but 8 seconds of silence. Download it, unzip it, and drag the whole "ShutdownSound" folder to /Library/StartupItems. Reboot your One, and it may ask to fix something, hit YES, and everything should be fine.
    The .zip archive is there : http://dl.free.fr/qfXbFUsXj

diablonet, Dec 6, 2008
  2. diablonet

jermzkill

Re: iAtkos v5 10.5.5 Install Guide

very nice, thanks. since they couldn't answer me in the other iAtkos v5 thread, does the mic work with iChat (webchat) by any chance?

jermzkill, Dec 7, 2008
  3. diablonet

diablonet

I have heard it work with an iChat update

diablonet, Dec 7, 2008
  4. diablonet

AceRyan

Am I to understand, that under this method, there is not a need to create the partition for OSX prior to starting these instructions? Also, If I intend to dual boot w/XP, do I need to edit the boot record from XP first so that I will be presented with the option to boot either OS at start up?

AceRyan, Dec 7, 2008
  5. diablonet

SbM

Just a short message to thank rory and diablonet for their work on this 10.5.5 iATKOS release. I've had no time recently to look into this, so your efforts are greatly appreciated. Thanks again!

SbM, Dec 8, 2008
  6. diablonet

nunomeneses

I have to say this was the best guide i could see. Followed 95% and it is perfect. Didn't install the full iso keyboard because i have a portuguese layout keyboard and i use it in "mac style" keyboard in PT untill i have a full pt keyboard to install. If anyone could help me on that i would be apreciated!

Tryed the wireless but no luck with atheros, i'm going to buy dell one.

I can say the aspire one is very response and the graphics are way better than in linux or windows...

Congratulations and thank you for the guide diablo!

nunomeneses, Dec 11, 2008
  7. diablonet

stonerolling

Installation Successful...... exept

30.- Full ISO Keyboard fix

How can I open

/System/Library/Extensions/ApplePS2Controller.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ ?????????

more questions
    How can I enable Hyperthreading?????????

After software updates I get 2min boot time!!!!!!!!!!!! Can you help me?

Thanks for the guide.

stonerolling, Dec 12, 2008
  8. diablonet

PhyrePhox

When you browse to the folder /System/Library/Extensions/, right-click on ApplePS2Controller.kext and select "show Package Contents" from the context menu. Then, you will have a new Finder window, browse to Contents/PlugIns/.

PhyrePhox, Dec 12, 2008
  9. diablonet

publicity

Just installed on SSD version (110), it works fine, but it takes a long time to boot.

Overall I have 1.78 gb free, which is not that bad, since I have an extra 16 gb sdhc in slot.

Is there a tweak to make the booting time faster?

Thanks

publicity, Dec 13, 2008
  10. diablonet

SbM

Only a hardware tweak : replace the crappy SSD with a 1.8" ZIF drive. Makes a hell of a difference.

SbM, Dec 13, 2008
  11. diablonet

Major Kong

I have this weird thing going on which I am not sure if it is related:

I installed according to the instructions and everything was hunky-dory; sound, screen, no shutdown panics, the works. Then I tried Spaces…

I opened Spaces from the dock and enable it as well as the menu bar item. Works fine. I try the ctrl-key combinations; arrow keys, number keys — just the way my MBP does it. Joy galore.

Then I reboot and this is the birth of the blues: the Spaces menu is still there but the ctrl-key combinations do not work any more. "OK, just a fluke", was my thought, but the problem persists through subsequent reboots. And to add insult to injury I now have shutdown panics every friggin' time!

So, I have two questions for you people out there:

1. Has anyone else seen the problem with Spaces?
    2. How do I get rid of my shutdown panics? The only thing I can think of right now is re-install and, since that takes a while, would be preferably not to. You'll agree… ;)

Apart from all this is the AAO on Mac OS X a marvelous little beast. It seems as if I just have to learn what I can do and what I can't to keep it that way. Pity it is all a matter of trial-and-error but that is part of the game when you go non-apple, right? :D

Cheers

Major Kong, Dec 13, 2008
  12. diablonet

gastrogeek

[DELETE ME]

gastrogeek, Dec 13, 2008
  13. diablonet

nunomeneses

Diablo Thank you i have it and it works really well justa changed the graphics kext's to another dmg file with fixed kext's files because of the mirror issue. Beside's that everything running well :)

nunomeneses, Dec 14, 2008
  14. diablonet

nunomeneses

Yes same with me. Disabled spaces and everything runs well...

nunomeneses, Dec 17, 2008
  15. diablonet

ahovis

Seems to be a problem with kernel panics when installing a .dmg file for several of us who have Kalyway installs who updated to 10.5.6. All seems to be working fine after installing all the kexts but when anything is downloaded it will expand and then a kernel panic with the voodoo release kernel. You guys seeing this as well?

ahovis, Dec 17, 2008
  16. diablonet

Rohan

After following all instructions and using the Voodoo kernel, I started getting shutdown kernel panics as well. I haven't updated to 10.5.6 yet but I have installed a bunch of applications.

Does anyone have any ideas? I've currently done a reinstall with the Vanilla kernel and shutdowns are fine.

Rohan, Dec 19, 2008
  17. diablonet

aretx

Dear friends:. specially Diablonet and Rory, first of all I admire you!, I've been trying your steps from iatkos v4 and always everything worked fine, I don't know the times I've installed and uninstalled Leopard in both AAO 150. Now I'm 10.5.6 and Vanilla Kernell. But yesterday, following the steps of diablonet to update from 10.5.5 to 10.5.6 I was able for a few minutes, posting.php?mode=reply&f=14&t=7802#, to stay with both: Vodoo kernel and 10.5.6. (but 800x600) and so on. BUT EVERYTHIG WAS FASTER.... quickly , nice...

Then I started to reinstall the old kexts till diablonet's step UPDATE2 nº7, I reinstalled only AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext, but forget System.kext, but my AOO started!! right...
    posting.php?mode=reply&f=14&t=7802#
    I started steps 18 to 29, but after the display kexts the eternal blue screen after the apple logo...posting.php?mode=reply&f=14&t=7802#

Then I reinstalled everything with Vanilla and 10.5.6 following Rory's now is riht... posting.php?mode=reply&f=14&t=7802#AND HERE IS MY QUESTION:

It could be posssible to install Voodoo Kernel AFTER 10.5.6 update?????

aretx, Dec 19, 2008
  18. diablonet

diablonet

Yes my firend you can, but a little explanation here,
    10.5.6 uses kernel version 9.6.0
    10.5.5 uses kernel version 9.5.0
    10.5.4 uses kernel version 9.4.0
    and so on...

You can have 10.5.6 OSX with 9.4.0 kernel, it doesnt matter, so, of course you can install Voodoo 9.5.0,

Each kernel have 2 parts "mach_kernel" and "System.kext", both should be same version, otherwise it will be a mess over USB devices, how to know wich version of mach_kernel do you have? go to Terminal and write "uname -a", how to know System.kext version? go to /System/Library/Extensions/System.kext (right click and show package contents) and view the content of Info.plist file:
    <string>System Resource Pseudoextension, Apple Computer Inc, 9.5.0</string>

So if you have 10.5.6 Installed, get Voodoo 9.5.0 and install it, (read my update 1 on my guide) and also install System.kext version 9.5.0 using kext helper and thats it!!!!

diablonet, Dec 19, 2008
  19. diablonet

aretx

You're absolutly fantastic Diablonet: now everything works fine, I'm on triple boot, XP, Ubuntu8.10(enligthenment and XFCE) and now a Leo OSX faster as never tested before.

La próxima vez que vaya a México te llevaré un jamón de Jabugo (Next time I'll go in Mexico I'll bring you a Jamón de Jabugo).

Now only need waiting till a next stable driver for both: atheros and Sdcard, then this little thing will be a complet three 100% compatible OSs.

Nice work, my admirations from Europe, and again: eres mi mejicano favorito..

I noticed mounting the voodoo.dmg kernel panics for three or four times... then I delete "seatbelt" as read in these threats... cos I'm not able to extract a 10.5.5 seatbelt from previous, and seems do not shows any abnormal behaviour... I'm still with my fingers crossed after the System.kext reboot (wit the help tool B7) , Still I don't believe it...

About this mac shows two processors and only 1 nucleus (??????) I think this is not transcendental, but no doubt this is my best present for these Christmas, thanks all of you guys, I'm a mature man enjoying a lot reading,following and testing all your steps, and I think is an exicting hobby.

Cheers

aretx, Dec 20, 2008
  20. diablonet

diablonet

Thanks bro, voodoo kernel worked faster with me but it was unstable, so what I have found until now is, voodoo=fast, vanilla=stable, about cpus, cores, etc, 1 CPU can have 1,2,3,4 cores, Atom processor just have 1 core, but it uses hyper threading to "cheat" the system thinking it has 2, when you use vanilla kernel you will see only one core, cause hyper threading is disabled, using voodoo with HT and you can see "2", there are newest Atom with 2 cores and HT, so vanilla kernel works without any kernel flags trick, but uses not HT, so 2 real cores will be shown, while voodoo will see 4 cores, 2 reals, and the other 2 in HT, dont get too happy about this, cause there is no BIG performance improve in benchmark made to Dual Atoms, about the ham, WOW, I have seen those on local store, If I buy 2 of them, its the same price as my Aspire One :D

diablonet, Dec 20, 2008
Ask a Question