iATKOS v4i install and issues

Discussion in 'MacOS' started by SbM, Aug 18, 2008.

1. SbM

SbM

IF YOU WANT TO INSTALL MAC OS X 10.5.6 ON YOUR ACER ASPIRE ONE,
    please go to diablonet's post here : viewtopic.php?f=14&t=7802

The instructions below I'll leave on the forum for reference only.
    THIS INSTALL PROCEDURE IS NOW OBSOLETE.

NOT WORKING
    * Wifi, but you can fix it by replacing the internal wifi card with a Dell DW1390, 1490 or 1500 miniPCI-E card.
    * Card readers (neither of them).
    * Sleep (reboots the machine).
    * Audio-in (neither from the internal mic nor from the jack connector, tried with Audacity and Audio Recorder)

DODGY
    * Audio: no autoswitching to headphones, "mute" key on keyboard not working.

Here's a topic to help you install iATKOS v4i's flavour of OSX86 on the Acer Aspire One:

A - PREPARING THE INSTALLER
    1. Download iATKOS_4i from any reliable source and check its MD5 signature by typing "sudo md5 /path/to/your/iso/file" in Terminal (must be 6ed6282a521fe0ffdcbe028e6e43da0e)
    2. First option is to burn iATKOS_4i.iso on a blank DVD (if you have an external DVD drive you'll be able to boot your One from). If you choose this option you can skip to the "INSTALLING" section below.
    3. If you don't have an external DVD drive, you can restore iATKOS_4i.iso to a blank partition on an external USB drive with an MBR partition scheme. You can use Disk Utility to do this (provided you already own a Mac or an OSX86 system):
    3a. Launch Disk Utility, then drag and drop iATKOS_4i.iso to the list on the left and double-click it to mount it.
    3b. Select the drive you want to install to in the list, click on the "Partition" tab, choose "1 partition" from the drop-down menu, type the name you want to give it in the "Name" field, choose "Mac OS Extended (journaled)" in the "Format" drop-down list, click on "Options..." at the bottom, select the MBR partition scheme, click "OK" and finally click "Apply" on the main window.
    3c. After Disk Utility has created your partition, select it (NOT the disk itself) in the list on the left and click on the "Restore" tab. Drag and drop the iATKOS installer volume from the list to the "Source" field. Drag and drop the partition you've just created to the "Target" field. Click on "Restore". Disk Utility will now take a few minutes to restore the iATKOS installer to your partition.
    3d. Next you need to run OSX86Tools (Google for it) to make your new partition bootable. Run OSX86Tools.app and click on "Install EFI/Run FDISK". Click "OK" when it asks if you want to install the installation source files, type in your administrator password and click on "Run Script". A Terminal window will open. Type in your administrator password once more and choose option 4 (Chameleon EFI). Follow the instructions to choose your drive and partition to install EFI.
    3e. When all is done, you can eject your drive and connect it to the One.

B - INSTALLING
    4. Power the One and press F12 when the BIOS screen appears, so that you can change the boot device. Select your drive in the list and tap the return key.
    5. When the installer loads, click on the button like it tells you to.
    6. When you get to the "Welcome" screen, DON'T hit "Continue" straight away. Move your mouse pointer to the "Utilities" menu, and select "Disk Utility".
    7. When the Disk Utility application has loaded, click your main drive (the one you want to install to) in the left hand pane. Click "Partition" on the right hand pane. Under "Volume Scheme", click "1 partition". Give your disk a nice name WITHOUT ANY SPACE IN IT (e.g. "AspireOneHD"). Click "Options..." and select GUID Partition Map. Click "Apply".
    8. Wait for Disk Utility to do its thing, then select "Quit Disk Utility" from the "Disk Utility" menu.
    9. You'll now be taken back to the installer welcome page. Click "Continue". Click "Agree" when the legalese blurb pops up.
    10. Choose a destination drive - obviously the one you just partitioned. Click "Continue".
    11. Click "Customize".
    12. Customize the installation as follows:
    * iATKOS v4i Main system CHECKED
    * Darwin Bootloader CHECKED
    Everything else UNCHECKED except:
    * Drivers/System/Intel Speedstep CHECKED

13. Click "Done" and then "Install", and wait for the installation to complete. The display might freeze during the install process, but everything's fine: just touch the touchpad when the progress bar freezes..
    14. Reboot.

C - FURTHER TWEAKING
    First of all, download Paul's package, available here: http://content.modaco.net/paulswinddriv ... typack.zip
    It contains a bunch of useful .kext's (extensions to the Mac OS X kernel) and a great little utility called "Kext Helper", that'll help you install said .kext's in the appropriate manner (fixing permissions and stuff for you, so that everything works as intended and you don't get stupid blue screens when you restart your One ;)).
    BY ALL MEANS USE PAUL'S UTILITY WHEN INSTALLING .KEXT'S, IT'LL SAVE YOU A LOT OF HASSLES.

"ABOUT THIS MAC" INFO
    Install Paul's "AboutThisMac" fix to get the CPU info right in the "About This Mac" window.

VIDEO
    Using Paul's "Kext Utility", install all of Paul's .kexts EXCEPT ACPIBattery.kext AND RealtekR1000.kext. Drag'n'drop all 5 kexts to Kext Helper's window, so that you install them simultaneously, then reboot. If you install them one by one you're calling for trouble.
    Now you get 1024x600 resolution AND a fully functional battery-status icon in the menu bar AND (last but not least) a Speedstep menu that shows the automatic throttling of the processor frequency from 800 to 1066 to 1333 to 1600 MHz (if the menu doesn't show up, just keep on installing. It came back on my machine after installing the audio driver).
    You might need to install those twice in a row to make Quartz Extreme and Core Image graphics acceleration work. It happened to me. Check in System Profiler>Graphics if they're enabled. Besides, if they are enabled, your menu bar should be transparent (solid if they're not).

[NETWORK install suspected to break "Bonjour" functionality]
    NETWORK
    Install the Realtek driver for the One's ethernet interface, so that the machine detects pluggin/unplugging of the cable while running (not only at boot-time, like Paul's .kext): http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/dow ... TL8102E-GR

AUDIO & SHUTDOWN (adapted from the InsanelyMac forum)
    Download ALC268FIX from here http://rapidshare.com/files/132209637/ALC268FIX.zip (mod edit, link working, old link dead)
    1. Run ALC268Installer 1 but DON'T RESTART YET
    2. BEFORE Restarting, delete /System/Library/Extensions/ALCInject.kext
    3. Use Paul's Kext Helper b7 to install HDAEnabler.kext
    4. Delete System/Library/Extensions.mkext and restart.
    5. Make sure that Internal Speakers is selected in System Preferences>Audio>Output
    6. Run HDA Fix v3. It's all in Italian, but basically always click "OK" or "Continua" until you get to choose between "Riavvia ora" (Restart now) and "Riavvia in seguito" (Restart later).
    7. Click Restart now ("Riavvia ora").
    Now sound should work without generating kernel panics on shutdown.

USEFUL UTILITY:
    *Since sound output doesn't automatically switch to headphones when you plug 'em in, this "Sound Source" utility comes in handy: http://www.rogueamoeba.com/freebies/
    It installs a "menu extra" item in the menu bar that lets you select which output to use.

POWER HANGS FIX (Thanks to aRt for this one)
    If you experience power hangs on shutdown (you try to switch your One off but the power led stays on and the fan keeps running), you can perform the following steps to solve them (hopefully):
    1- Trash /System/Library/Extensions/AppleThermal.kext
    2- Trash /System/Library/Extensions.mkext
    3- Reboot

FULL ISO KEYBOARD ("<>" key with French layout, for instance)
    Download the modified ApplePS2Keyboard.kext from here : http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php? ... 95568&st=0
    Copy it to /System/Library/Extensions/ApplePS2Controller.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ to replace the original one. BE CAREFUL: don't install it in /System/Extensions/ but INSIDE the ApplePS2Controller.kext you'll find there.
    Open Terminal and type:
    Code:
    sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/ApplePS2Controller.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ApplePS2Keyboard.kext
    sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/ApplePS2Controller.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ApplePS2Keyboard.kext
    sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions.mkext
    Reboot.

MODIFIED FRENCH KEYLAYOUT (Thanks to VIRAL for his work on this ;))
    My own modified French keylayout for the Aspire One can be found here: http://rapidshare.com/files/138491722/F ... ayout.html
    Drag it to /Library/Keyboard Layouts/, then open System Preferences>International>Input Menu and check "FrAspireOne" and "Show input menu in menu bar". You should see a flag pop up in the menu bar. Select the FrAspireOne from here.
    Reboot if necessary.
    Note that the menu key doesn't work, and that Alt and AltGr act as the Command key on a real Mac keyboard, while the "home" key is actually the Alt/Option key.

Et voilà!

MISC ISSUES:
    If your Keyboard & Mouse prefpane stops working:
    First, open a finder window, and go to System -> Library -> PreferencePanes, search for Keyboard.prefPane, right click on it, and click on
    "Show Package Contents".

After that done, a window opens, with "Contents" on it. Go into the folder, find Resources, open it. You're going to see a lot of icons and some LANGUAGE.lproj (where language is English, Spanish, dutch, etc). What i did, was asking a friend with an original mac to send me the folder of my language (in my case, French.lproj) and I replaced it. It asked me to replace, authenticate, and closed the window.

Then i went to the System Preferences, tried to open the Keyboard & Mouse Settings, and it was working.

*The "Shared" folder in the Finder doesn't work correctly here. I'll have to investigate further. It shows my Mini as "mini", which is not its name, and doesn't grant me access to its files.
    *Unable to share my Mini's printers either. Works if "Shared" works.
    *Unable to use the Migration Assistant as well. Probably works if "Shared" works too.
    I thought I had fixed these issues by installing RealtekR1000.kext instead of the genuine driver, but it was broken again when I restarted.

It seems that all of those issues were resolved by NOT installing any wired connection driver (i.e. no Realtek driver at all). To be confirmed.

$$$TODO$$$
    - Update the guide to reflect changes in the current release of OSX86Tools

SbM, Aug 18, 2008
  2. SbM

SbM

Re: iATKOS install and issues

Issue : the Speedstep menu doesn't seem able to retain its settings on reboot, and the menu doesn't appear anymore... don't know when I lost it...

SbM, Aug 18, 2008
  3. SbM

SbM

Of interest to foreign users: if you'd like your system to be fully localized, you can launch "Optional Installs" from a genuine Leopard DVD image and then choose your language in the (obviously) Language folder. Worked great for me with French language.

SbM, Aug 18, 2008
  4. SbM

tonelok

The million dollar question - what about wireless?

tonelok, Aug 19, 2008
  5. SbM

SbM

As with any other OSX86 install, wireless doesn't work. You need to replace the wifi card with a Dell DW1390 or another compatible model. I've ordered one from eBay a few days ago and will update this topic when I get it. Thanks for asking.

SbM, Aug 19, 2008
  6. SbM

rory

The 1390 works, thats not me saying I read it works or something,
    I actually have one installed, and not only does it work, but the switch and LED work too :)
    And that's on iAtkos, and the same was true for Kalyway too.

However, as the 1390 works, the 1490 should work (no advantage over 1390 from what I see) and the 1500 too (has wireless n)

Also, with the sound thing, I used installer 1, rebooted, didn't work, then installer 2, rebooted works. Didn't need HDA enabler or the kext. However, I have no idea how it works, because in the audio option on system profiler, there is nothing "no audio devices installed" but the speakers do work :s. Headphoens don't though. Will try the the sound switcher thing you linked to.

Rory

rory, Aug 19, 2008
  7. SbM

SbM

Nice! I wanted to ask you about the led and just kept forgetting ;)

The procedure I've used works fine. In System Preferences>Sound, you'll get to choose either "IntSpeakers" or "Headphones" in the Output tab and "IntSpeakers" (?) in the Input tab. Just follow all the steps I've listed and everything should be fine.

SbM, Aug 19, 2008
  8. SbM

SbM

Update: it seems that the SpeedStep menu item doesn't like it when you restart the machine. It might or might not show up when you do that. If you shutdown and start the machine all over again, on the contrary, it seems to show up all the time. Can anyone confirm that?

SbM, Aug 19, 2008
  9. SbM

bingggo

I followed your directions with an MD5-checked iatkos v4i, which installed fine on the SSD as Mac OS Extended (MBR)... but it only boot once successfully after installation (and that was after a few tries). Otherwise, it just goes to a black screen with a few lines of '>0000000000' or similar, ending with a 'J' and a blinking cursor.

If I leave the USB DVD drive connected with iatkos in it, it did boot to a blue screen with mouse cursor. I will try the Gparted Live CD .3.7 to set a boot flag on the SSD.

bingggo, Aug 19, 2008
  10. SbM

SbM

I installed on a drive with GUID partition map. Try that.

SbM, Aug 19, 2008
  11. SbM

pseudomasochist

I'll second that the Dell 1390 card works just about perfectly.

Got one in the mail today, found one on eBay for $9 Cdn. Well, $20 Cdn after shipping. ;) I was going to sit down with a cup of tea and install the card, but it turned out to be so easy that I had the card swapped out and the lappy reassembled before the kettle had started boiling. It literally took me five minutes.

On reboot, I magically had an Airport menu in the menubar. Wifi light and switch work, although I found that the switch only seems to turn off the wifi -- turning it back on requires a little trip up to the menu bar to turn it on again via the Airport menu. Getting four bars of signal, too, where I never seemed to get more than three on my old Airport Extreme Powerbook G4.

In any case, $20 and 5 minutes very very very well spent. And not just for running OSX -- I'd imagine that this card would be a help for any Ubuntu or other Linux users who didn't feel like wrestling with the madwifi drivers or whatever it is that is currently needed to get Acer's bizarro Atheros card going under those OSes..

pseudomasochist, Aug 19, 2008
  12. SbM

SbM

Ordered a 1390 too. Can't wait to install it ;)

SbM, Aug 19, 2008
  13. SbM

bingggo

Thanks for the expanded instructions. Tried again with GUID, installed fine, but still get the blinking cursor on reboot. Will try Gparted to set a boot flag.

bingggo, Aug 19, 2008
  14. SbM

SbM

That's weird. Either you're doing something wrong (which means my instructions are not clear enough), or I forgot a step somewhere...

SbM, Aug 19, 2008
  15. SbM

bingggo

It is odd. I was able to install and use Leopard fine with Kalyway 10.5.2 + the process indicated by Paul on modaco.

In this case, I checked the iATKOS v4i disc image against MD5. Used Disk Utility to burn to DVD-R. Booted Aspire One 512mb/8gb from external DVD. Partitioned SSD as one partition, Mac OS Extended (not journalled) (MBR on first attempt, GUID on second attempt), installed with the first two boxes checked (and the Intel Speedstep box checked) as you suggest. Installs normally. Prompts restart.

First time on MBR I got to the Setup Assistant which hung on the first selection screen. Then wouldn't reboot a couple of times. Then got all the way through the desktop where I installed the kexts you suggest. Then wouldn't reboot. A few lines of mostly 00000 and a blinking cursor.

On GUID, just won't boot. Just a simple blinking cursor.

On one of the attempts (I think MBR) it booted to the com.plist error which iATKOS shows is also a bootable disc problem.

I haven't used Gparted or Parted Magic before, so not actually sure which option installs a boot flag?

bingggo, Aug 19, 2008
  16. SbM

SbM

I can't believe it would make any difference, but I installed on a /journaled/ partition. Maybe you could try that. But I bet it won't change anything.

What I must add though is that I first installed Mac OS X on the SSD using the Kalyway .iso. I've only tried iATKOS on an external USB drive. Could there be a compatibility issue when iATKOS is installed on a SSD? Don't know. Hope it'll work on the 30GB 1,8" drive I plan to replace the SSD with, 'cause iATKOS's release works a lot better than Kalyway on my setup (battery indicator and stuff).

Has anybody else succeeded in installing iATKOS on his/her One?

SbM, Aug 19, 2008
  17. SbM

bingggo

After googling, I have read references to the 'blinking cursor'/boot problem being intermittent and unpredictable regardless of hardware; with the suggestion to use gparted or Parted Magic (this is also the suggestion in the iATKOS readme). So hopefully I can work out how to actually use Parted Magic to insert a boot flag :)

bingggo, Aug 19, 2008
  18. SbM

SbM

OK, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you then ;)

Please tell us if/when it finally works, and what you did to make it work so I can update the topic...

SbM, Aug 19, 2008
  19. SbM

bingggo

I think iatkos and my AAO just don't get along. Reinstalled fine. Keyboard input wouldn't work on Apple Setup. Booted from an external drive and copied over var/.applesetupdone and reset the root password to get past that problem. Rebooted fine. Battery and speedstep menus were much admire. Installed Paul's kexts as you suggested, except for the two you mention.

Rebooted. Blue screen. I gather this is a graphics problem, but don't know how to fix it.

Ah well.

bingggo, Aug 20, 2008
  20. SbM

SbM

Curiouser and curiouser...

What's the BIOS version on your machine?

SbM, Aug 20, 2008
Ask a Question