I want a more silent fan!

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by Chycky, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Chycky

Arcflup

Are you stupid or are you being annoying on purpose?

The fix for the noisy fan under Linux has been posted twice for you now.

Arcflup, Oct 1, 2008
  2. Chycky

Chycky

Haha, I'm not annoying for purpose, but can we trust the fix? Acer support told me not to chnage anything that had to do with the control of the fan.

Chycky, Oct 2, 2008
  3. Chycky

daldred

Your decision: you've seen what people on this forum have said and how many reports of problems there have been after using the fan fix (none, as far as I'm aware); and you've talked to Acer.

I don't think anyone is going to take your decision for you; work out where the balance lies for you between a risk of damage and the annoyance of the fan noise.

daldred, Oct 2, 2008
  4. Chycky

Chycky

Yes, you are right. I will wait to set what happens to everybody who have used the fix, then I will probably try it myself.

Chycky, Oct 2, 2008
  5. Chycky

dj_steve

most likely even totally disabling the fan wont fry the cpu, intel cpus have this clever feature called thermal throttleing where the cpu automaticly kills its speed if it gets too hot - my home pc is a intel p4 2.8ghz dual core and i HAVE had it up to 130 degrees before my motherboard thermal protection kicked in, system was running fine but a bit slow, software i was monitoring using was reporting cpu speeds around 1.2 ghz - thermal throttle in action. - i know this is a bit off topic but it is related :) i may try the fan limit hack but my AAOs fan is fairly silent anyway - the hard drive is more noisy

dj_steve, Oct 2, 2008
  6. Chycky

woofer00

The acerfand fan control works fine, so long as you adjust the temperature range to fit your needs. Nothing will fry, and it will run quite smoothly. The better question would be just how and where you're using the AA1. The vents need air, so don't run on a blanket. Your thighs inhibit cooling, so don't use your lap. Basically, always use on a clean, flat surface.
    If your programs kick the processor into high-power mode, perhaps its worth considering whether it should be attempted on a netbook at all rather than a full fledged laptop.

woofer00, Oct 3, 2008
  7. Chycky

bingobongo

bingobongo, Oct 20, 2008
  8. Chycky

zongamin

I've installed the linpus script that rachel posted, leaving the settings as default:

INTERVAL=5
    FANOFF=60
    FANAUTO=70

Can someone confirm that this means the fan will kick in at 70 degrees ?

Apologies if this is an obvious question

zongamin, Oct 20, 2008
  9. Chycky

quikkie

those settings mean:
    CPU temp < 60 == fan is off
    CPU temp > 70 == fan is controlled by the BIOS
    what that does is run the fan until the CPU has cooled below 60 and then acerfand takes back control of the fan and turns it off.

quikkie, Oct 21, 2008
  10. Chycky

edgar1

Why? The fan on a PC is much louder and on a laptop, so why worry about a little noise from the fan. I emailed Acer about what has been said about the fan noise, and they gave me a case number to return the machine to them. No way, it doesn''t really bother me anyway. I'm very happy with my XP model. :D

edgar1, Oct 22, 2008
  11. Chycky

zongamin

Some have louder fans than others - mine made a high pitched whirring constantly- far louder than my imac or even my work PC.

zongamin, Oct 23, 2008
  12. Chycky

quikkie

My desktop is nearly silent thanks to the forums at silentpcreview.com. Seriously my GF can't hear it she looks at the LEDs to see if it's on, my AA1 is not even close to silent unless I used acerfand.

quikkie, Oct 23, 2008
  13. Chycky

Chycky

I use Ubuntu with the sickboy kernel and now the fan is quiet almost all the time. I can't check the temperature, but the fan goes on sometimes when my Acer Aspire One does some tasks. It seem to work on Ubuntu sickboy kernel.

Chycky, Apr 2, 2009
Ask a Question