I want a more silent fan!

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by Chycky, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Chycky

Chycky

I think this is a topic that already has been discussed here but I ask the questin anyway. I think that my knew Acer Aspire One fan sounds too much. Is there any nice and secure way to make the fan sound less? It's anoying to hear the noice of the fan all the time, but is it secure to make it sound less and how do I do that?

I have a AA1 110 with Linpus Lite.

Chycky, Sep 28, 2008
  2. Chycky

ghostlywind

I had a loud fan on my first AA1, but then i exchanged it this morning and got a new one with a fan that it a lot of quieter, but it's still on the entire time when I'm using my AA1.

ghostlywind, Sep 28, 2008
  3. Chycky

Chycky

I bought my AA1 yesterday and I'm absolutely going to turn it back if this is a problem that you have to live with. With this noisy fan I can't use it in a library and I will go nuts hearing the noise all the time. This in not okey at all. I have understand that this is a rather common problem among several users of AA1. Either Acer or someone else produces a good way to turn the noise down otherwise I surely will turn this computer away. It would be sad solution because I like AA1 but NOT the fan noise!

Chycky, Sep 28, 2008
  4. Chycky

chuckcalo

Since I installed Vista I haven't heard the fan ..

chuckcalo, Sep 28, 2008
  5. Chycky

Chycky

Did you get disturbed by the fan before you installed Vista?

I have read a lot of posts all around the net written by people who have problem with the nois of the fan. What does Acer respond to this, they can't just be quiet about this problem? If all the company's AA1 had this problem then it could be a normal behavior, but right now there must be something wrong going on. Why did they not detect this, it's so common. I want some of Acer guys respond on this. What's going on, why does some fans sound like hell wile other are quiet?

Chycky, Sep 28, 2008
  6. Chycky

Tamrac

Test out your replacement before leaving the store.... the newer models come with a quiet fan. I cannot hear mine at all, even if the room is dead silent... and it's on all the time. Goodluck. Mine is an A110 Linpus btw, but I installed XP SP3 on it, so now it's on XP..... both linpus and XP the fan has ran silent since day 1. Cheers.

Tamrac, Sep 28, 2008
  7. Chycky

Chycky

I think I will have to do that, but what the hell, it's not meant to be this way. I wonder if it's a problem with the earlier computers manufactured or if I have to take a chance and hopefully I get newly manufactured AA1? I bought this computer yesterday but I bought it in Sweden and we often have to wait some time after a product is released in US. Maybe all computers in the store have got this kind of fan, maybe it's has only to do with luck if you get a nice fan or not. I don't know because Acer seems to keep quiet about this or am I wrong? Can this problem occur even with newly manufactured AA1 or may it occur after a while even if the fan run ok from the very beginning?

Edit:

Anybody know if the problem with a noisy fan are related only to some models with a specific serial number or something like that? Can I choose a computer with a working fan just by checking a number outside the box?

Chycky, Sep 28, 2008
  8. Chycky

Obeonecanopener

Hi all. Had my AA1 three days and yes, I'm aware of the fan. It's not loud just an annoying whine that rises and falls in pitch depending on how hard the little thing is working. I have Tintanus so I'm susceptible to certain frequencies. I have a Sony Vaio that I can't use, the noise from the fan is too loud though it would make a great wind tunnel fan! My Samsung Q35 is the bees, it’s real quiet. I think there's a patch out for the AA1 fan, not sure how it works or if it works. One thing I have noticed is the fan makes more or less noise depending on the surface you put it on. Hmm? Wonder what it would sound like in a bowl of----water :eek:

If anyone comes across a real fix please post.
    Obe.

Obeonecanopener, Sep 28, 2008
  9. Chycky

wess2

I found this fix by googling: http://home.strangenoises.org/~rachel/aspireone/
    Works pretty well.. at least it did it for me. Requires a little bit of config file tinkering, so read the README carefully.

PS. Use with your own risk, don't blame me if it melts your A-one :p

wess2, Sep 28, 2008
  10. Chycky

chuckcalo

Actually it was pretty anoying everytime the fan turned on by itself whenever I was running an application.

Anyways, Windows XP was super slow for me and I don't know why is that. Ever since I installed Vista I've fallen in love with this thing. I don't remember myself listening to the fan noise or anything. I'm not using the Fan Contorl program either. I hope someone else can confirm that Vista runs cooler than XP.

chuckcalo, Sep 28, 2008
  11. Chycky

one2many

I installed vista and the fan was lower than XP but still audible, so I installed a nice piece of software I found under hacks and mods, the latest rev. is on page 10. It's still in beta but a very professional job with installer,EULA and everything.
    viewtopic.php?f=44&t=1888
    My aa1 has been running at 55degC and I set the fan to kick in at 70. Works great. No fan noise.

This thread also has a good dicussion on fan control vs. battery life. From what I understood, it seems cutting off the fan doesn't help since the processor draws more power when running hot.

one2many, Sep 29, 2008
  12. Chycky

Chycky

I don't want to use Vista. I always use Linux (Ubuntu) so I have to make the fan more quiet even using Linux. I'm going to replace the computer at the store this afternoon, but I don't know if another AA1 would be more silent.

Wait a minute now, what is really going on? Right now the computer is silent. The fan went on for a while but now I'm hearing almost nothing. Hm, if it's possible to keep the fan as it is right now, then it's ok, but last time I used the computer it was going on for hours!

I opened another page and visited YouTube, then the fan begins to whine. I seems to be a problem when the processor is working. The problem is that is does begin to sound at almost every action. I can't do anything on my AA1 before the fan going nuts.

This is really annoying!

Chycky, Sep 29, 2008
  13. Chycky

Chycky

Is it really safe to only turn on the fan at some temperatures? I don't want to destroy my processor. Is it really a solution? Why doesn't Acer come up with something if this is an ordinary problem, why are they so quiet and not their fan? ;)

Please Acer, answer this. What shall we do? What is the company's solution to this problem? We shall not have to live with this noisy fan!

Chycky, Sep 29, 2008
  14. Chycky

Chycky

Well now I have exchanged the AA1 to a new one, but the problem still exists. I suppose it shall be like this then. What about you? Do you hear a whine sound from the fan all the time or is it absolutely quiet?

Chycky, Sep 29, 2008
  15. Chycky

Chycky

I have used the exchanged AA1 for a couple of hours now and I think it makes less noise than my first AA1. It's not whining unnormally, but I still hear the fan ofcourse. This is strange, how can it be that the fan sounds so different between two computers of the same modell? How about you, are your fan quiet or does it make very much noise? My new AA1 doesn't make as much noise as my old AA1. I think there is a difference, I'm rather sure about this, strange...

Chycky, Sep 29, 2008
  16. Chycky

one2many

I have throtted the fan back using a temperature limit and have had no problems since 2 days, i'm not running linux though.

one2many, Sep 30, 2008
  17. Chycky

Chycky

Ok, how did you do it then?

I'm also afraid that this method will destroy the processor and that I can't get a new one because the store say I have to blame myself that the processor got destroyed.

Chycky, Oct 1, 2008
  18. Chycky

daldred

There's a long thread on this in Linux here -> viewtopic.php?f=43&t=300&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=fan

Plenty of people are doing this, and no-one's reporting problems.

daldred, Oct 1, 2008
  19. Chycky

gspielman

I have read the numerous complaints/patches relating to fan noise. I can only report that the AA1/XP version I received on 9/26 had the latest BIOS and a fan so quiet I don't even know its running (it is). The box label show a build date of August. Perhaps Acer is making some progress in fixing this issue.

gspielman, Oct 1, 2008
  20. Chycky

Chycky

Well, it doesn't help me at all. My new AA1 is more quiet than the AA1 I had before. I exchanged it at the store, but still there is a noise that I want to get rid of.

Chycky, Oct 1, 2008
Ask a Question