HP and their laptops

Discussion in 'HP / Compaq' started by Fuzyon, Jul 31, 2016.

1. Fuzyon

Fuzyon

It seems like lately they've started to listen to the criticism and their laptops are improving, but they're still not as good as they need to be for the price. I know that for the past 5-10 years HP laptops have been quite awful, they break easily and are not stable. What is your experience with their laptops?

Fuzyon, Jul 31, 2016
    Krissttina Isobe likes this.
  2. Fuzyon

rz3300

Well they are one of the more expensive brands out there, but I am surprised a bit to hear that there is so much criticism. I have never owned an HP, but I know several people who do and I have never heard them say anything negative, and in fact quite the opposite. With some of these companies that offer both more high end and low end models, though, you do tend to get more disparity when it comes to quality, so maybe that is what is going on here. I hope that they continue to improve, but I guess time will tell.

rz3300, Jul 31, 2016
  3. Fuzyon

hades_leae

Well I have an HP Pavilion and I have been having it for almost 3 years now. In about 5 months it will be 3 years. I don't really like it, but it has gotten the job done over the years. I have a crack in the top corner and it happened the second day I had the laptop so I couldn't return it.

It's had it's problems, but still hasn't broken down completely, and I've never needed major repairs or anything.,I take care of it pretty good.It cost me $299.

hades_leae, Jul 31, 2016
  4. Fuzyon

Corzhens

I came to post in another thread about the claim of HP that they are number 1 and they support their claim with statistics. But that info was from the HP's product presentation a few months ago where I was invited. We are HP laptop users in the office so the computer vendors are always inviting officers of the IT department. That's understandable because we buy computers by the thousands.

I agree that HP is expensive. In fact, we are going to purchase a personal laptop to replace our home desktop and I already got a quotation from the HP vendor whom I know personally. But the cost is beyond our budget hence the planned purchase remains in the air until now. An HP laptop similar to what I am using has a tag price of 55k pesos, that's more than $1,000.

Corzhens, Jul 31, 2016
  5. Fuzyon

IcyBC

My first HP lasted me more than 7 years, and my second HP lasted 2 years, plus both had the over heating problem. I believe they don't make things to last anymore.

IcyBC, Aug 1, 2016
  6. Fuzyon

IBMPC8088

They used to be really nice in the past, but they need to drop their prices to the range of Acer if they're going to keep over-heating on me. :p

I have one (personal colletion that isn't rotated out) that's lasted for 6 years and is still in use but the keyboard wore out on it and it had to be replaced. The fan had to be replaced 3 times, though. The first time it was normal dust and wear that made it run slower than it should have over time. The second time was my fault because I took it to a really dusty place where sure enough I encountered a dust storm, and it started to act like the first fan. The third time was because the fan just died without warning and for no reason at all.

It could've been the person I ordered the fan from (it was really cheap and may or may not have been new), but that was the only major issue I had with it. Between the second and third, I got tired of taking it apart constantly and just ran a box fan to keep it going in the office. It worked well enough that way, but had to be replaced when I wanted to use it mobile again.

Some people blame Carly Fiorina for the downfall of HP after the Compaq merger and direction they've taken ever since, but it could be just as well that the board members are cheap and couldn't agree on the best way to move forward. As such, they now kinda suffer from stagnation...but to be fair, many of the competitors do too now that the focus is more on mobile markets than laptop or desktop PCs.

IBMPC8088, Aug 1, 2016
  7. Fuzyon

fcuco

My experience is just terrible, me and a cousin had the same HP laptop (the pavillion tx2000), this one one of these laptops that could be converted to a tablet by turning the monitor, it was a nice concept yet ahead of its time since the touchscreen was very rudimentary, that's not the worst part, the worst part is that both laptops failed almost at the same time because of the same problem: overheating that disconnected or made the cable that connects the monitor to the motherboard loose, something melted inside them and the think turned into a brick. The curious thing is that both models suffered exactly the same problem so you can't blame my usage for it, it was something wrong with the model itself.

fcuco, Aug 16, 2016
  8. Fuzyon

Krissttina Isobe

Very good to know for I'm shopping for a laptop and was leaning towards hp, but not now. This is going to be my first laptop too. Been computer literate only from 2004, so I got to get a good one. Dear me I thought hp was a good quality laptop, oh well. Back to the drawing boards for a new laptop.:(

Krissttina Isobe, Oct 15, 2016
Ask a Question