How to turn your sluggish old Mac or PC into a faster Chromebook

Discussion in 'Chrome OS' started by seupaulo, Apr 27, 2016.

1. seupaulo

seupaulo

A crazy startup at USA has created a modified version of Chromium that works with most hardwares! And it's free! The name of the startup is Neverware and with this you could give a new life to your old computer. Isn't it just incredible?

seupaulo, Apr 27, 2016
    IcyBC likes this.
  2. seupaulo

fcuco

Yes, it is pretty cool, the operating system is called CloudReady and even though they are focused on the school sector they offer the operating system for free, so you could resurrect some ancient piece of hardware that you may have laying around and install it. I think that it even supports dual booting so you don't have to sacrifice you old OS.

I still need to check out how this thing compares to some lightweight full fledged Linux alternative and dumping OSX for thin on an old iMac is kind of a weird thing to do.

fcuco, Apr 30, 2016
    IcyBC likes this.
  3. seupaulo

Sm0key

That is pretty cool. I might give this a try as I haven't tried Chrome OS yet. I'm pretty sure I have an old netbook that would benefit from this. :)

Sm0key, May 2, 2016
  4. seupaulo

IcyBC

My daughter has an old netbook she used in her college years that she gave me. I want to do this, can I? However, I need some directions, such as link, what to do, where to find this OS.

IcyBC, May 4, 2016
  5. seupaulo

IcyBC

Since I have a really high interest in turning my daughter's old netbook into what-so-called Chromebook, I have been doing lots of reading, the pros and cons, the should or shouldn't, what works and what not; I came upon this article that I think it is share worthy in case someone wants to do the same:
    http://www.computerworld.com/articl...ady-convert-old-computer-into-chromebook.html

Check to see if your old laptop is compatible: https://docs.google.com/document/u/0/d/1oaFfS3QZia17FE8UBMEF4xNKhz6U2iAtbPmxZTethF0/pub

IcyBC, May 14, 2016
Ask a Question