how to sync between Mac and Aspire One(linux)?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by steven.chien, Oct 5, 2008.

1. steven.chien

steven.chien

I would like to know if I can sync data like contact list and calender between my Mac and AA1, exporting files like vcard is not convenient.
    also, will Mobile Me work with AA1?

thanks!

steven.chien, Oct 5, 2008
  2. steven.chien

westonpf

I don't know of any route to direct sync but I do it through google calendar. Gcal will sync with Thunderbird on Linux and using the free Calgoo conduit will sync with Mac and Windows. Gcal should sync directly with iCal without using Calgoo but I have had problems getting this to work properly.

I think Google contacts can be synced as LDAP, they certainly work with Mac address book.

westonpf, Oct 5, 2008
  3. steven.chien

violajack

Mobile Me's success depends on which OS you are running on the One. I have OSX on my One, and Mobile Me is awesome. It has pulled over everything from my macbook, Contacts, Calendars, Mail Accounts (didn't even need to set up Mail, just opened and it started downloading stuff), Dock items, and several little things. iDisk is a bit flakey, but I think that's on their end. I can make changes on either machine and Mobile Me makes sure the other machine and iPhone get the change as well. It's really quite nice when it's not being flakey.

On windows, Mobile Me will sync with Outlook. It may sync with the standalone Contacts and Mail, but I don't think you can sync to the Calendar unless it's Outlook. The browser part of Mobile Me works fine in Firefox on Windows.

Linux is a bit more tricky. You can get easy access to you iDisk by going through (in Ubuntu at least) Places > Connect to Server. I forget which connection type you have to select, I'll have to look that up when I'm booted into Linux. IIRC the path is http://idisk.me.com/yourusername. It mounts as a disk on the desktop and when you open it you will be prompted for your password. Sadly, the web interface is a mess of slowness. I tried with Firefox on both Ubuntu and Linpus and it's just horrible trying to edit the calendar. It's fine for viewing, but good luck making changes. I agree with the earlier posters that going through google is the best way in linux.

I'm also using Busy Sync to sync between iCal and google calendar and that works quite nicely also, but it's not a free solution. Neither is Mobile Me though, I guess. As with most Apple stuff, you can do everything Mobile Me can for free with Google syncing and Picasa web galleries and such, but it's not as easy or as pretty as it is with Mobile Me. With a macbook, an OSX one, and an iPhone, Mobile Me is really a great solution.

violajack, Oct 5, 2008
Ask a Question