How to multi booting on a ZG5?(booting stock xp, linux, OSX)

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by opm881, Aug 3, 2009.

1. opm881

opm881

Ok, so i have been searching around for a few days with nothing specific and a little bit confused because of the mass amount of guides and such. I am wanting to tri-boot with my Acer Aspire One (ZG5 model, 1gb ram, 120gb hdd, currently running stock xp). How I am wanting to do it is set up 4 partions in total, with 1 for xp (roughly 10-20gb), one for linux(would like to keep this small, only reason for it is so I can watch movies and such while flying with fast boot and lower hardware utilisation for anything but video watching.) which i am thinking roughly 5gb?, and a mac OSX boot(I have no idea how much hdd space or what version to use. I am not going to be modding anything to do with hardware) of which i have no idea for partion size but i am thinking round the same as teh xp partion. The 4th partion will be used for storage for all os's, so it is where programs will be installed, files will be saved and so on.

So, what I am really asking is, what is a good guide for achieving this without having to re-install XP and without needing an external optical drive.

opm881, Aug 3, 2009
  2. opm881

RockDoctor

Not sure about OSX, but you can certainly install Linux on your HDD. Get hold of a live-cd iso file of your favorite Linux distro, burn it to a 1GB flash drive using unetbootin, then boot from the flash drive. Any decent distro will come with a tool that will allow you to resize the partition(s) on your HDD. Live-USB installs run seem to run about 2.5GB; adding vlc and the various media codecs and Java can push it up to 4-4.5GB range, depending on what other software you want to keep/add.

RockDoctor, Aug 9, 2009
  3. opm881

opm881

yea, i have managed to find a little info on it. I have installed linux on other systems before, but i have read i need to do it last otherwise it can **** everything up.

opm881, Aug 10, 2009
Ask a Question