How to Install Software on Linpus Linux

Discussion in 'Linux' started by daldred, Oct 10, 2008.

1. daldred

daldred

Is there a problem with installing them using the add/remove software system?

daldred, Feb 24, 2009
  2. daldred

Bohound

well i havent try isntalling them like that but plz tell me the steps to do it to try it out and then i can post back the results also were i can download them???tx for replying

Bohound, Feb 25, 2009
  3. daldred

daldred

The first article in this thread is a step by step approach. Try following what it says there, and post back if you get stuck.

You don't download them from anywhere: Linux is cleverer than that, and the software management system does it all by itself.

daldred, Feb 25, 2009
  4. daldred

carygrant123

I cannot install sky player on linux - have downloaded all software but when I go to install (via right click - system - add remove programmes - the retrieving software window just spins and doesnt do anything - lasts at least 30 mins and then I get fed up! Am I too imjpatient or is there a problem? Is there a better way to install sky player? thank you

carygrant123, Feb 26, 2009
  5. daldred

daldred

You have three problems.

First, the sky player help page says:

So you first need to ask Sky why they don't support your computer.

Second: you need to read the article at the start of this thread. It will tell you why downloading random stuff is not the way to install in Linux.

Third, there does seem to be some problem with connectivity to the software repositories at the moment. I've found it works fine at some times, but at others is very slow.

daldred, Feb 26, 2009
  6. daldred

carygrant123

OOps - sorry although when I browsed additional info on sky it did seem to support linux via a different route - silverlight? or something - or so I thought - but obviously not! Thank you any way - will email them and post reply (if it's worthwhile)
    By the way my software retrieval is still trying to retrieve!

carygrant123, Feb 26, 2009
  7. daldred

thwapy

Hi. I am completely new to linux. I have tried to open pirus and the package manager appears but then freezes part way through, I have been patient and left it a good while but it will not load up....

Is there another way of installing software, I want to put Skype on my daughters aspire... I have downloaded skype from its website and the skype RPM package is in the downloads file. When I click open with software installer the 'installing packages' box appears but nothing comes up to click 'apply' to.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

thwapy, Mar 7, 2009
  8. daldred

daldred

daldred, Mar 7, 2009
  9. daldred

Darryl

This will address your skype issue
    http://www.acer.com/aspireone/suppo...ls itself with the icon on the desktop. Enjoy

Darryl, Mar 7, 2009
  10. daldred

thwapy

Hi David

I found that and downloaded the file from acer.com. just updating skype.sh now, however it keeps freezing right at the last moment.... any ideas?

thwapy, Mar 7, 2009
  11. daldred

thwapy

I have re-extracted the zip file checking 'extract with full path', when the 'updating skype sh' box appears it is still freezing right at the last bit.... HELP ! Please !

thwapy, Mar 7, 2009
  12. daldred

Droid

Hey there,

I bought my AAO yesterday and still am a complete linux noob, I was looking for an irc client and installed ninja through pirut. However it doesn't show in any menus.. how do I get it started?

Sorry for noobing around but if anyone can help me I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,

Droid

Droid, Mar 7, 2009
  13. daldred

thwapy

Thanks for hjacking my post ! Seems you know more than me though, not even sure what an irc client is :roll:

thwapy, Mar 7, 2009
  14. daldred

Droid

Droid, Mar 7, 2009
  15. daldred

Aspiration

Aspiration, Apr 13, 2009
  16. daldred

daldred

[/quote:1x52h9fe]

Ditto with any mainstream Linux version: Brother support Fedora 10+, Suse, Debian, Ubuntu..... And in the case of mainstream distros, you'd have found the drivers in the repos.

daldred, Apr 13, 2009
  17. daldred

Aspiration

No, I do not search all over the internet. I have cd's with printer drivers and drivers for hardware that I use. Can't say the same for linux... that is where you have to search all over the internet trying to figure out how to get basic stuff to work on some half-baked linux version that nobody knows anything about. Why scan for viruses on the cd's? OEM products are free of viruses and if I do need to scan xp for viruses I use my mac to do that since a mac is very intelligent and far easier to work with than linux. All I do is turn file/printer sharing on in xp and virusbarrier x4 can scan any local intranet computers with the price of one subscription instead of bleeding to death buying virus stuff for every machine as required by microsoft.
    Of course, linux is much like the mac in that not many virus programs affect it. But as far as ease of use goes... just trying to get accurate installation info for basic programs/drivers is almost impossible to do with any certainty of success.

#1 installation of Brother printer drivers... practically no support... take your own risks trying to figure that one out.
    #2 installation of vlc... too many conflicting installation instructions need to be clarified first as revealed by miles of problems caused by trying to get it to work because because there are too many amateurs and not enough trained experts because of the open source nature of the product.
    #3 installation firefox 3... risks include breaking many other programs because acer in its faulty wisdom designed this OS to hook into firefox2 to save space.
    #4 games that come with linpus lite... many of them crash or demand purchase to use.
    #5 very limited media types can be used by default software and Acer will not say what codecs will work because they don't want to spend anymore time or money on a cheap netbook.
    #6 Too many people don't know how to write clear instructions and this adds to the confusion and general mayheim of why nothing works as it should because of the open source nature of the product. Add to this various flavours of linux, none of which are an exact match to linpus lite increases the confusion about how to make things work as they should.
    #7 Acer's wisdom of not making any means to restore software unless you go through hell's half acre trying to fix that issue instead of providing a bootable usb flashdrive restore hardware instead of a next to useless dvd... minus the dvd player. etc. etc.

Aspiration, Apr 13, 2009
  18. daldred

daldred

Funny, the last printer I bought (a Brother) came awith the Linux software on CD. Some manufacturers are beginning to work out that there is an alternative to Windows.

But that does pose the problem that you need to keep all those CDs. The macnine on the network which runs Windows doesn't work properly because the driver CD for the motherboard has gone AWOL somewhere over the last few years, adn its manufacturer no longer offers the drivers as a download. Linux drives it all natively, of course.

Usually. There have been exceptions.

Took me about five minutes, including testing. Wow. That's really a massive problem.

daldred, Apr 13, 2009
  19. daldred

Aspiration

Re: How to easily Install VLC on Linpus Linux

http://www.acer.com/aspireone/support/files/fun.html

Use the above link to go to the acer support site for software installs.

The instructions on installing this software are also incomplete... figures... in the center window click on the vlc link and a menu appears with some partial and incorrect instructions on installation. download the file. use the file browser to go to your downloads folder and double click on the vlc.sh.zip file. xarchive should open and from here the instructions say to double click vlc in the package which gets you nowhere. In the zip file is a pdf and the vlc program. you need to extract all. click on the extract icon in xarchive and it will extract to your downloads folder. this is where you double click... on the extracted vlc.sh program. It will ask to update and then will reboot. Program is accessible via right click in the advanced menu if it is enabled on your AAO.

Why do so many people take such a complicated route to installing vlc via command line with all its inherent typos that cause issues?
    If we had any real experts someone would have suggested doing it this way, first, instead of all the topics with resulting problems using the complicated way to install it. I see there is one person on this topic who suggested using the acer support website to download software. Thanks.

The problem with open source software is a real lack of experts. Hopefully this will help everyone become more of an expert in the area of easy installation of the VLC software.

As an added note, during the update it will specify copyright issues of sorts and some of the items will not be installed. That's what happens with open source software and sometimes it will just have to be accepted that you will get less than a full version of what you download.

Aspiration, Apr 13, 2009
  20. daldred

Aspiration

Took me about five minutes, including testing. Wow. That's really a massive problem.[/quote:tawau92d]

Obviously, if your installation cd comes with linux printer drivers for Brother printers then you are lucky which explains why it may only have taken 5 minutes to install. Most people spend way more than 5 minutes just trying to find the linux drivers for their printers and then spend hours trying to determine which flavour of linux will work with linpus lite. I have only heard of one issue regarding viruses being sent with hardware/software and the problem was fixed quickly. It is not in the best interests of any company to install viruses with their products which is why you can trust that none will be shipped. The one issue regarding viruses being shipped with ipods is several years old. Although some software vendors may be starting to provide linux drivers, the majority do not. As you said, some manufacturers are starting to realize there's more to life than windoze. Obviously, if I had known that I would be wanting to run OSX, win98se, xp and linux then it would have made it more likely that I would select a printer that supports all these operating systems.
    The only help I got from Brother was that I need to install something called:csh/tsch. What they might be is anyone's guess. Where to get them or how to install them is again... anyone's guess because Brother will not provide anymore support than that.

Aspiration, Apr 13, 2009
Ask a Question