How to Install Software on Linpus Linux

Discussion in 'Linux' started by daldred, Oct 10, 2008.

1. daldred

V6Jim

HELP!

I'm a new Linpus Linux user and am struggling with launching Google Earth.

Not even sure this is the correct bit of this forum to post this question?

Anyway, I have installed GE successfully (following a You Tube guide!) and it started fine. A bit slow and jerky, but quite useable. I used the default install path, but I'm damned if I can work out how to Launch it again. I can right click the desktop and under 'Network' I find the Google Earth icon, click it and I get the Google Earth startup screen. That's it. It stays there for a while, does a wee jumpy thing, then vanishes. It could be trying to start then immediately crashing? :?:

Any suggestions? Please remember I'm entirely new to Linux and the Terminal, so please be very gentle with me! :roll:

Thanks,

Jimmy

V6Jim, Jan 8, 2009
  2. daldred

daldred

It does look as though it's crashing on startup.

When something like this happens, the usual procedure is to try starting it from the terminal, as usualyl more detailed error information is passed to the terminal (whereas on-screen error messages, if any, tend to be brief and less informative).

The problem here is knowing quite what the command is going to be to launch it from the terminal! I've not got GE installed on my One, but looking at my main machine I think you will need to enter the following into a terminal:
    Code:
    google-earth/googleearth
    (exactly like that, with the hyphen the first time but not the second, no spaces anywhere).

Try that and see if any more information comes out into the terminal - and if (as is quite likely!) it doesn't immediately make sense to you, copy it and paste it back here (although a new thread in the Software-Linux forum area might be better as it doesn't reallly look like an issue about installing software).

The only problem I can foresee with this is that GE runs under Wine, the Windows 'emulator' in Linux, and I'm not sure whether all error messages will make it back through the Wine 'layer' to the terminal.

daldred, Jan 8, 2009
  3. daldred

V6Jim

Thanks David!

I did as you asked and it started as expected. Same as before!

The following appeared on the terminal:

[user@localhost ~]$ google-earth/googleearth
    do_wait: drmWaitVBlank returned -1, IRQs don't seem to be working correctly.
    Try running with LIBGL_THROTTLE_REFRESH and LIBL_SYNC_REFRESH unset.
    [user@localhost ~]$

This any help?

Can I get this thread moved to the proper place do you think?

Jimmy

V6Jim, Jan 8, 2009
  4. daldred

daldred

I don't think the moderators can move just part of a thread, and moving the whole thing would take the original post to the wrong place!

Why not re-post under this thread, describing what you've done and what is happening?

I have found a couple of Google references to this error messages, which seem to indicate that you can get round it (see here, for example), but I think it would be worth a post on the forum to see if anyone else has found a better solution - making the changes suggested there might also affect other programs.

daldred, Jan 8, 2009
  5. daldred

stanleefc

hi
    i have downloaded a free anti virus and wifi radar, but i am not sure how to execute them ?
    any help would be appreciated thankyou.

stanleefc, Jan 16, 2009
  6. daldred

daldred

Three questions:

1. What exactly have you downloaded - source packages, or rpms?
    2. Why do you think you need an anti-virus program on a Linux machine?
    3. What does a wifi radar do that isn't already done by the One's wireless system?

daldred, Jan 16, 2009
  7. daldred

stanleefc

hi thanks for replying
    i downloaded from source, i wasn't aware that you didn't need an anti virus?
    as for the wifi radar, WiFi Radar helps you find and connect to open wireless access points
    which would be ideal for my son when he is at home , he has a notebook with no access point otherwise.

stanleefc, Jan 17, 2009
  8. daldred

daldred

Try searching on 'antivirus' in the forum. The general message is that there are no effective viruses for Linux, so there's not much point in loading your machine with extra overhead.

But the wireless app on the One lists any wireless access points within range anyway. what is a wifi radar going to do beyond that?

If you do want to compile from source, you will need to install a compilation environment first - that's just the tools you need. You can do this most easily from the command line:

First update the fedora repository locations, if you haven't already:
    Code:
     sudo yum update fedora-release
    Then install the compiler and build tools:
    Code:
    sudo yum install gcc make
    You've probably got a source 'tarball' - something ending in .tar or .tar.gz. If so, open it (the AAO will open it in an appropriate software if you just double-click it) and extract all the files into a directory (let's call it MyDirectory). Now check whether there is a file called INSTALL or README in that directory - if so, read them and thye will tell you what to do to compile and install it.

Generally, the commands to do a compile and install are:
    Code:
    cd MyDirectory
    ./config
    make 
    sudo make install
    But do check the specific instructions firtst.

At the ./config stage the system runs a check that everything it needs is available. If it isn't you'll get errors, which should say what is missing. You may need to install more stuff to get your software to compile, as people often re-use libraries of code rather than reinventing wheels (and in Linux most source code is freely available to r-use, subject to the condition that anythign based on that code is equally freely available - that's a basic summary of the 'GPL' Licence terms).

If any ./config error messages don't make sense, try posting back here!

daldred, Jan 17, 2009
  9. daldred

stanleefc

Hi
    you will have to bear with me asi have only started using linpus for about ten days after my son bought the notebook and asked me to get messenger working , it took me a week to get live update working .
    regarding the wifi access points you said you can get from aspire one do you have to install a package from software update for it to work?
    I have a home network going with 3 pc’s two with xp and the main one with vista , i installed wifi radar on the xp one, and when i shut the main one off and turn on the xp one with wifi raday I i pick up a couple of access points so i can go on the net, but if i try the same thing with the notebook i get nothing, what do you reckon?

stanleefc, Jan 17, 2009
  10. daldred

daldred

No. If the wireless on the One is switched on (the green light is on - front right of the AAO), then you should have a tray icon for the network manager, probably next to the battery one. Left click on that and you should get a list of available wireless networks.

So you have a wireless router, and that connection shows up on your XP machine but not on the One? What sort of router, and is the ESSID broadcast on your network?

daldred, Jan 17, 2009
  11. daldred

ant0

PROBLEM:

I bought my wife an AA1 Linpus/8Gb SSD, all setup and working fine, with advanced/'normal' desktop.... working fine for a week.... skype video was working fine (send/receive views) then an hour after using it for one video call and making no changes, the outgoing video stopped showing in the next viedeo call.

Long story short, we then uninstalled Skype via the piruit (sp?) add/remove software with the intention of reinstalling it again to see if this fixed things... this is where we hit problems - we cannot now reinstall skype! It doesn't now show/list at all in piruit and trying to install the skype.sh app results in us getting told "already updated" or similar?

Looks like the AA1 "thinks" skype is still installed, despite having being uninstalled via piruit?

Not sure what we did wrong or how to get skype reinstalled :?

My wife is (surprise surprise) very attached to video chatting with friends so we really want to get skype reinstalled - can anyone help out with where we went wrong or how we can get it to reinstall.

TIA
    Ant.

ant0, Jan 20, 2009
  12. daldred

daldred

I think there may be a problem with installing software using the Acer 'easy install' stuff and uninstalling it using the Linux standard system - the two don't talk properly to each other!

The article on macles blog says that these things can be removed using the Live Update menu. I haven't tried it myself, but that looks to be the way to go.

daldred, Jan 20, 2009
  13. daldred

ant0

Sorry, I missed out explaining that bit - we did manage to remove one of the live update menu items for skype but one other (last) one won't remove in live update menu.

ant0, Jan 20, 2009
  14. daldred

daldred

Hmm. This is tricky, and I'd have to admit I'm guessing on how to deal with this. Looking at the various file locations which seem to relate to the updater, several of them contain files which seem to relate to which updates have been installed. I'm wondering if we can identify which files are telling the system that skype has been installed, and get rid of them.

If you search for 'skype' in the desktop search (make sure you change the search type to 'desktop', can you find anything in any directories which have 'online-updater' in the directory name?

Alternatively, from the command line, this should list them, assuming the filenames start 'skype':
    Code:
    sudo find /  -name skype* | grep online
    Let me know what you find, and we'll see whether we can delete appropriate ones!

daldred, Jan 20, 2009
  15. daldred

ant0

:D Wayhay.... read your post, then realised although I'd tried a reinstall with the Acer sh file, I hadn't tried an rpm so I downloaded that from the skype site - install fine and skype video tested fine - fixed!

thanks for your help and time, cheers!

ant0, Jan 20, 2009
  16. daldred

stanleefc

Hi sorry about the delay in answering my router is linkskys (wireless-g 2.4ghz) i do not know what ESSID means? I tried to update the fedora respository locations ,got a syntax error so i installed the compliler and builder tools first then tried again with the other one (sudo yum update fedora-release) something came up like a list of letters with diferent meanings, was that the update?
    Why you have got code: select all do you type that in before you start with sudo yum etc..
    Thanks to you i now know about the wireless app which lists any wireless access points in range. But i would like to install wifi radar just to to see if i can, so if you could help, the next step do i type
    cd MyDirectory
    ./config
    make
    sudo make install

stanleefc, Jan 21, 2009
  17. daldred

daldred

The ESSID is the wireless network identity - what would come up in the list of available networks.

Sounds like it!

No. That's the label the forum gives to a window containing code (i.e commands). If you click on the 'select all' then the whole of the set of commands you need to key will be selected.

[quoteThanks to you i now know about the wireless app which lists any wireless access points in range. But i would like to install wifi radar just to to see if i can, so if you could help, the next step do i type
    cd MyDirectory
    ./config
    make
    sudo make install[/quote]

Assuming 'MyDirectory' is where you've put the uncompresseed files, yes!

daldred, Jan 21, 2009
  18. daldred

cpnova

I'm having trouble adding or removing software in linux linpus lite. I've done the right click hack and sorted the password issue. This has allowed me to get at the package manager with which I have tried unsuccessfully to connect up to download from the remote repos. It flags up "cannot retrieve repository metadata ( repomd.xml) for repository:update source please verify its path and start again" However although i have an operating wireless broadband connection to surf the net OK with firefox i think i have connection issues with other programs. For instance i have only managed to connect to my IMAP mail server once with Aspire one mail despite repeated attempts. I know my mail settings are right but it keeps telling me that the server is un-reachable. Am I right in thinking that this connection issue is stopping the downloading from the repository and if so, how do I fix it?

Many thanks

Puzzled Linux newbie

cpnova, Jan 24, 2009
  19. daldred

daldred

daldred, Jan 25, 2009
  20. daldred

Bohound

hey everyone i have a question how can i install LaTex and Lyx in the aspire one???nd were i can download them???plz i hope you can help me with the steps to do that tx in advance

Bohound, Feb 24, 2009
Ask a Question