How good are Toshiba laptops?

Discussion in 'Toshiba' started by Sefie, Feb 28, 2014.

1. Sefie

Sefie

Hello guys! This section doesn't have a lot posts yet, but so far most of the posts I have read over here sounded really negative. I must admit that made me feel worried because I just bought a Toshiba Laptop recently, because I screwed the USB ports of the old one (A Toshiba satellite as well). My old laptop is nearly 6 years old, is a Toshiba Satellite and didn't give me any problems, other than over heating a bit during summer time and while playing games.

I was told by a friend who fixes computers that Toshiba laptops are very reliable and strong. I believed that as well, because the experience I had with my old laptop, but right now I feel a bit nervous my new laptop might crash on me in the future, since most of the owners of Toshiba Satellite laptops here had this experience :(

Was my friend mistaken when he said Toshiba laptops were really strong and reliable? He made me think the Toshiba laptops weren't delicate at all, kinda like heavy duty?

Sefie, Feb 28, 2014
  2. Sefie

something back

Like any product you can get a Monday morning one.

Don't be put off by one unfavorable comment about this or that make.

I have had a series of very serviceable laptops, a dell, acer, toshiba.
    All had different good and bad points however none failed.

It's all down to personal choice. Look at online reviews for a balanced view point.

something back, Feb 28, 2014
  3. Sefie

NeroFerk

I do not own a Toshiba but I have a cousin that has one and he says he loves it. It hasn't given him any problems and he has had it for about 5 years now I think.

NeroFerk, Feb 28, 2014
  4. Sefie

sparkblade14

Everyone's laptop is different so just because some guys had bad experiences doesn't mean you will. Personally, I've never had a problem with a Toshiba. They're pretty decent laptops.

sparkblade14, Mar 1, 2014
  5. Sefie

Sefie

Thanks, something back. Kinda late for me to check for reviews, but thanks for the advice. I feel better now, I guess I will wait and see the next months how it goes with this laptop. Hopefully it will last as long as the old one. I can only hope!

Sefie, Mar 2, 2014
  6. Sefie

OldPhil

My Toshiba has been run to death for over two years and counting, I also have two Acers one four and on five years old, I know of many Asus's that have been around for awhile. To me it is very hard to be partial you just don't see them crapping out that often, the biggest issue as with ALL is operator error we have all done a bit of that.

Phil

OldPhil, Apr 23, 2014
  7. Sefie

rcarroll

Overall, Toshiba hasn't ranked very well when stacked up to other laptop manufacturers. But I think if you just take care of your laptop and aren't a heavy duty user, you'd probably be fine. Just read the reviews on whatever laptop you choose. I think this website here is useful as it helps you compare the best laptop brands: http://www.bestlaptopbrandsdirectory.com/ . You can see how Toshiba stacks up on there.

rcarroll, Jun 12, 2014
  8. Sefie

Thomas Pendrake

I have an older Toshiba, a satellite 1115. It is about 12 years old and works very well and is reliable. It uses XP, which is much more stable than the Vista on the Dell I am tryng to use at the moment. At least the keyboard on the Toshiba works. I am having to use the onscreen keyboard on this Dell for some of my keys.

Thomas Pendrake, Jun 30, 2014
  9. Sefie

Rohan99

I have seen persons with Toshiba Satellite laptops and they always seem to have an issue with it after a while. The issues normally seems to be widespread when you conduct a Google search on it. I have never personally owned a Toshiba brand laptop because I don't really like the design and from all the bad experiences of persons I know or read about, makes me very skeptical to ever buy one.

Rohan99, Jun 30, 2014
  10. Sefie

Sefie

Dang, actually I am having issues with the old one. Sometimes it won't load anymore,that's when I have to force a restart and press F8 like crazy! Then I chose something like ''start using the last working configuration' and it works mot of the time. I'd be freaking out if I hadn't bought the new one...

Sefie, Jul 2, 2014
  11. Sefie

Sefie

Hi Thomas! Woah, 12 years!? My Toshiba is 6 years old, I think. I had to buy a new keyboard for it, sadly the keyboards for the newer Toshiba laptops are harder to find. My old Toshiba is still working, but sometimes it has a hard time starting up, it still is my fav lap, because I can play many games with it.

Sefie, Jul 2, 2014
  12. Sefie

OldPhil

Have not been up in awhile, one test sight said Asus and Toshiba were the best in the long run. I was told that when I bought this one, it has been great. A few days ago I put a Samsung 840 Pro SSD, would not be investing in a machine I did not trust.

OldPhil, Jul 12, 2014
  13. Sefie

Sefie

Asus, really? I had no idea Asus was considered to be in the same league as Toshiba. I was told the same thing about Toshiba laptops by a friend who actually fixes laptops. He said Toshiba was for hardcore users and it could stand some abuse. I'm not very proud to say I've proved the last bit to be very true! My old laptop is 7 years old already, had to format it... lost a lot files, but it's still alive and kicking ;)

Sefie, May 19, 2015
  14. Sefie

Zalaria

There was a new Toshiba laptop that I saw at Besy Buy the other week, a new model with impressive specs and a fair price to boot. I was considering it, but I haven't heard very good things about Toshiba overall. However I read the reviews on this new model, and they were mostly positive. If the $649 was just a tad lower, I would definitely buy it.

Zalaria, Aug 7, 2015
  15. Sefie

IcyBC

My son has a Toshiba satellite laptop and it is going on six years old! It is a bit outdated, and he hasn't used it as much as before since now he does everything on his iPhone! He is a teenager, so he is not very careful with it and running maintenance on it, but it is still quite functioning better than my two years old HP laptop.

IcyBC, Aug 13, 2015
  16. Sefie

Diane Lane

I have a Toshiba Satellite that I bought quite a while ago. I'm having issues with it right now, but I don't believe that is related to it being a Toshiba. I was always very happy with it until it wouldn't turn on. It turns out that the battery was dead, but since it's fairly old, that was probably to be expected. I haven't had any issues with it that would stop me from buying the brand/type again.

Diane Lane, Sep 2, 2015
  17. Sefie

MandyMarieB

I personally have had quite a few problems with my Toshibas. From overheating, to CPU slowness, to battery cord/battery life issues (as in, both computers ended up in a state where if you unplugged it, it would immediately die) and more. My sister also has a Toshiba, and has developed the battery life issue as well. It's sad, cause they are a nice, affordable little laptop, but it doesn't do much good if it's not usable. :(

MandyMarieB, Sep 21, 2015
  18. Sefie

Sefie

@MandyMarieB I never faced those problems, I think you guys haven't been treating the battery right... I'm not sure, but I am almost certain you guys left the battery inside the laptop will connected to the main power... Doing that is the worst you can ever do to any laptop, if you got a new one, make sure not to do that. I always take out the battery and store it somewhere safe before connecting it to the electricity... if you let it in you are charging that poor battery to death.

Sefie, Sep 30, 2015
  19. Sefie

Sefie

@Diane Lane I'm glad you admit is not a Toshiba only issue :) Some people like to blame this kind of issues on Toshiba! When in fact it can to any laptop. Next time just charge your battery, once it's charged take it out and store it somewhere safe. Then you can connect and use your laptop as normal :) You can then take out your battery when you truly need it.

Sefie, Sep 30, 2015
  20. Sefie

Sefie

@IcyBC My friend who fixes computers and laptops told me that Toshiba laptops are made for tough use. I've heard many stories like yours before ;) That is one of the reasons why I decided to get a Toshiba laptop ;) My old Toshiba is 7 years old, almost 8! And I wasn't very careful with it either :p

Sefie, Sep 30, 2015
Ask a Question